The Student Room Group

Will Student Finance still fund me ?

I basically failed my first year at pharmacy which is a 4 year course, repeated it and passed. Now i think I've probably failed my second year and i'm not sure if i'll be able to resit the modules.

So overall I've spent 3 years at university and have used my extra year of funding which SF gives to people who retake a year/change courses after a year.

However i want to apply for Optometry and completely drop out of pharmacy as i'm feeling its just not the right course for me, whats holding me back in that i'm pretty sure i will have to pay for my own fees as SF wont.

Will i still be eligible for student finance for the full course of 3 years at Optometry? even if i did have mitigating circumstances such as depression during my second year ?
Original post by CosmicVengeance
I basically failed my first year at pharmacy which is a 4 year course, repeated it and passed. Now i think I've probably failed my second year and i'm not sure if i'll be able to resit the modules.

So overall I've spent 3 years at university and have used my extra year of funding which SF gives to people who retake a year/change courses after a year.

However i want to apply for Optometry and completely drop out of pharmacy as i'm feeling its just not the right course for me, whats holding me back in that i'm pretty sure i will have to pay for my own fees as SF wont.

Will i still be eligible for student finance for the full course of 3 years at Optometry? even if i did have mitigating circumstances such as depression during my second year ?

The standard formula is length of course+1 year- any years previously studied. So assuming optometry is a 3 year course then you have 1 year of funding left which would be awarded in the 3rd year of your new degree. If you provide evidence of extenuating circumstances in your 2nd year of your current degree then student finance will disregard that year, but only that year, meaning they would fund your 2nd & 3rd year of optometry but not your 1st. To get full funding for your new degree you'd need to provide evidence of extenuating circumstances cover more than one year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending