The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cutelady
Can someone please explain to me how to work out the rate determining step!! I always get it wrong :frown: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The rate determining step will always have the compounds in the rate equation (or compounds derived from it).
If that doesn't make any sense, could you give an example of a question? I could try to work through it.
Original post by okopops
CH3COOH <----> CHCCOO + H+
Think of it as an equilibrium: if a base is added then the OH- react with the H+, which makes eqm to shift to the RHS to replace the H+ lost (so you add on the right )if acid added then eqm shifts to the left to oppose increase of H+ ( so you add on the left)

Thanks so much
Original post by Aethrell
So can anyone confirm whether we need to include δ+/ δ− signs on the carbons/oxygens/halides and whether the M+1 peak is actually on the AQA spec?

Many thanks

What is the M+1 peak?
Original post by 12284
No you don't need to include it.
And yep it is on the spec but I haven't seen a question on it yet.

mol.png
This came up on the June 2010 paper and the mark scheme said it had 5 peaks.

Wouldn't there be 6 if the M+1 peak was included?
Can someone please help with 8ci) June 2013. I feel like I know the answer but I don't.
Original post by student1856
Can someone please help with 8ci) June 2013. I feel like I know the answer but I don't.

Haha i just did the paper! It's the 7 marker one right?

Intermediate - CH3CH2CN
Route A:

Stage 1 - KCN/HCN under ethanolic conditions
Stage 2 - Ni/H+ under ether conditions

Route B - Ammonia in XS
Reply 366
Original post by Aethrell
mol.png
This came up on the June 2010 paper and the mark scheme said it had 5 peaks.

Wouldn't there be 6 if the M+1 peak was included?

What do you mean?
There is one peak for the molecule with 4 Cl-35, one peak for molecule with 3 Cl-35 and 1 Cl-37, one peak for the molecule with 2 Cl-35 and 2 Cl-37, one peak for the molecule with 1 Cl-35 and 3 Cl-37 and the fifth peak for the molecule with 5 Cl-37.
Have you done the Jan 2012 paper yet?
I have a few questions so would appreciate any answers!
1. How do you work out conjugate base pairs?
2. What is the difference in pOH and pH?
3. What is double equivalence?
4. Difference in racemic mixture and enantiomers?
5. Main chromatography methods we need to learn?
thanks in advance!! much appreciated
Also does anyone else just not understand a single thing about analytical techniques?!!!
Original post by student1856

Route A:
- Add KCN. Nucleophilic substituion occurs and the product is Ch3Ch2CN
- Then add H2/Nickel catalyst under high temperature and pressure (catalytic hydrogenation) and i'ts reduced to Ch3Ch2CH2NH2
- equation: CH3Ch2CN + 2H2 = Ch3Ch2CH2NH2

Route B:
- Add excess NH3. Mechanism is nucleophilic substitution. Br is substituted by NH3.
Last year's paper looked like a dream! I'm gutted - no doubt AQA have something nasty in store for us tomorrow :frown:
Any one else getting the feeling that each year the unit 4 paper gets even harder. Just done last years and only got 70% after I'd been getting 90% in all the others?? Just how bad can they make this years? :/
Can someone aid me in interpreting this- not sure what is means when it says two equivalence points consequently cannot answer the questions
Reply 373
kekule suggested benzene would have alternating c-c and c=c bonds like in the hypothetical cyclohexatriene.
This was disproved as after doing a reduction reaction using Hydrogen and a nickel catalyst. It was suggested that benzene would have an enthalpy change that was thrice that of cyclohexene (3x-120 Kj Mol-1 so -360). In fact, benzene had an enthalpy change of -208 which suggests that it was 152 Kj Mol-1 more stable.

Spoiler

The old cyclohexatriene idea was scraped and the new model of where the electrons above the carbons formed two rings of delocalised electrons, so no double bonds. Its now known that the lengths of the c-c bonds are in between the average lengths of the c-c and c=c.

Original post by Lilly1234567890
guys, i am slightly confused about benzene. Does its structure have a range of single c-c bonds and c=bond. ? And did Kekulu suggest that the bonds are all of equal length? is that correct.
Original post by 12284
What do you mean?
There is one peak for the molecule with 4 Cl-35, one peak for molecule with 3 Cl-35 and 1 Cl-37, one peak for the molecule with 2 Cl-35 and 2 Cl-37, one peak for the molecule with 1 Cl-35 and 3 Cl-37 and the fifth peak for the molecule with 5 Cl-37.
Have you done the Jan 2012 paper yet?

I know that - going by the CGP textbook there would be a 6th peak due to the presence of Carbon 13. Seeing as the answer is 5, I thought it wouldn't be on the syllabus. I was asking for confirmation.

Yes, I've done all of the new spec ones
Reply 375
Original post by IvoryToast
Any one else getting the feeling that each year the unit 4 paper gets even harder. Just done last years and only got 70% after I'd been getting 90% in all the others?? Just how bad can they make this years? :/

No, in all honesty I think every paper so far has been easy (jan10 easiest) to moderate ( jan12) with Jun15 being in between, and I hope the paper is like all previous ones, however I can almost guarantee they'll switch it up and make it harder, and unlike previous years.
Reply 376
Original post by hopingmedicinae
Can someone aid me in interpreting this- not sure what is means when it says two equivalence points consequently cannot answer the questions

Na2CO3 + HCl NaCl + NaHCO3
NaHCO3 + HCl NaCl + H2O + CO2
The conjugate acid produced from the first equation is so weak that it can accept another proton to form NaCl creating two concentrations of where the [OH]=[H+]
Predictions?
Original post by Super199
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
7bi. Splitting pattern why is it a triplet?

The adjacent Carbon has 2 Hydrogens attached, so using the n+1 rule, the splitting pattern will be a triplet.
Original post by badaman
The adjacent Carbon has 2 Hydrogens attached, so using the n+1 rule, the splitting pattern will be a triplet.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-QP-JAN12.PDF

Do you mind explaining 5d

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending