The Student Room Group

Retaking A2 exams or take a gap year and do access to HE?

I currently hold offers for neuroscience at universities and i'm also a resit student so i'm technically third year at college/sixth form. I have not been in the best place and am thinking after this year, should I do foundation year or take a gap year and get myself together and then do an access to HE and get into neuroscience? Will universities allow this and accept me? Also, does anyone know about how an access course works?

Im 19 btw
Reply 1
Original post by germanyone1
I currently hold offers for neuroscience at universities and i'm also a resit student so i'm technically third year at college/sixth form. I have not been in the best place and am thinking after this year, should I do foundation year or take a gap year and get myself together and then do an access to HE and get into neuroscience? Will universities allow this and accept me? Also, does anyone know about how an access course works?

Im 19 btw

You need to have been out of education for at least 3 years before you do an Access to HE course, so taking a gap year wouldn't give you enough time.
You also say you've got offers for university places already? If so you probably won't need an Access course, your current qualifications don't have an expiry date so you can use them to apply in the future.

If you feel you're not ready for university now a break could be a great idea, especially if you're working. Save up a bit of money and give yourself a bit of financial security whilst figuring things out.
Reply 2
Original post by PtGF
You need to have been out of education for at least 3 years before you do an Access to HE course, so taking a gap year wouldn't give you enough time.
You also say you've got offers for university places already? If so you probably won't need an Access course, your current qualifications don't have an expiry date so you can use them to apply in the future.

If you feel you're not ready for university now a break could be a great idea, especially if you're working. Save up a bit of money and give yourself a bit of financial security whilst figuring things out.

Due to my mental wellbeing I been really underachieving in college for the past 3 years so I have been suggested by a lot of people that a break for a year from everything would be great to get my mind straight and all. I have a C in History A2 and A* in extended project but don't really want to do about the next year. Got suggested by my teacher to take a year out if my results come out too bad this year and join the access so was just wondering.

Is this 3 year outs a major requirement for entry into the access? The only requirements ive seen from a lot of colleges who offer it are the GCSE requirements
Unless they have changed the rules recently, there is no three-years-out requirement to do an Access course. There were quite a few 18 year-olds on the access course I did a couple of years ago.
Reply 4
Original post by germanyone1

Is this 3 year outs a major requirement for entry into the access? The only requirements ive seen from a lot of colleges who offer it are the GCSE requirements

My mistake, it's 2 years out of education for the courses I've applied to. This may actually just be the college I've chosen, you'd have to look at your own local ones to get a better idea.
You don't need to have been out of education for a certain amount of time to be eligible to take an Access course at some colleges. Mine at least, the only requirement is 19 or over. I was 19 when I started, and a twenty something friend of mine went straight from AS-levels to Access, so it's entirely dependent on the college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending