The Student Room Group

The UK needs to STOP growing! (Out the EU I say)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its called globalisation moron
Reply 21
Original post by drogon
Its called globalisation moron

I don't do Geography....
Reply 22
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I don't do Geography....

It's basic economics mate. But i dont think you're smart enough to know about globalisation when you are stupid enough to think the cause of food shortages is because of the immigrants.
Reply 23
Original post by drogon
It's basic economics mate. But i dont think you're smart enough to know about globalisation when you are stupid enough to think the cause of food shortages is because of the immigrants.

There is food from imports at the moment however with global warming, there will be major effects on many of our food suppliers so we need there to be a secure food route which is why we need to cap our population and have food security through self sufficiency.
If climate change allowed us to have two harvests then something has gone terribly wrong, not to mention most of the country's farmland would be flooded.

I really don't understand your obsession with self sufficiency
Reply 25
There is food from imports at the moment however with global warming, there will be major effects on many of our food suppliers so we need there to be a secure food route which is why we need to cap our population and have food security through self sufficiency.

Get it in your head mate. Other countries have a comparative advantage and so do we. We cannot become self sufficient.

Ironically, there are many migrant workers who work in agriculture. In some cases its as much as 60% Do the maths, you'll find sending migrants away has no effect.
Reply 26
Original post by drogon
Get it in your head mate. Other countries have a comparative advantage and so do we. We cannot become self sufficient.

Ironically, there are many migrant workers who work in agriculture. In some cases its as much as 60% Do the maths, you'll find sending migrants away has no effect.

Have you read about the issues we will face and why we need self sufficiency?
I don't think you have.

We got little need for immigrants in the farming industry as new developments come in to place like these:
Have you read about the issues we will face and why we need self sufficiency?
I don't think you have.

We got little need for immigrants in the farming industry as new developments come in to place like these:

Actually, as a member of the farming industry, we do need migrant workers. Worth a read if you have the inclination: http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/analysis-farmings-access-to-labour-if-the-UK-left-the-eu.htm
Reply 28
Original post by AYellowBelly
Actually, as a member of the farming industry, we do need migrant workers. Worth a read if you have the inclination: http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/analysis-farmings-access-to-labour-if-the-UK-left-the-eu.htm

If they need these immigrants and we leave they will have to live up to employing the British on a possibly higher wage or buying equipment.
If they need these immigrants and we leave they will have to live up to employing the British on a possibly higher wage or buying equipment.

If you read the article then it says that Britons have no desire to have very seasonal and informal work such as picking vegetables. Buying equipment that may not produce as good a quality and requires a large capital investment that frankly is unrealistic to many farms. Also, hand picked vegetables are less likely to be damaged by machinery and therefore fewer will be rejected by supermarkets that require cosmetic perfection
Reply 30
If you read the article then it says that Britons have no desire to have very seasonal and informal work such as picking vegetables. Buying equipment that may not produce as good a quality and requires a large capital investment that frankly is unrealistic to many farms. Also, hand picked vegetables are less likely to be damaged by machinery and therefore fewer will be rejected by supermarkets that require cosmetic perfection

Morrisons tried selling the rejects, they had some success and still do it as far as I am aware.

How about the government supply farmers with the equipment to pick and then the government can then take all the produce and distribute it as part of one of my previous posts.
Morrisons tried selling the rejects, they had some success and still do it as far as I am aware.

How about the government supply farmers with the equipment to pick and then the government can then take all the produce and distribute it as part of one of my previous posts.

So farmers now work for the government? Isn't this communism?
Reply 32
So farmers now work for the government? Isn't this communism?

Not fully communism. The government just supply the equipment if it is really needed and the government buy the food to distribute equally to the nation keeping farmers employed and producing food.
Reply 33
We could possibly grow a lot of these in large greenhouses.

How about in the future of self sufficiency people pay more tax (covering as shopping bills). The government buy in all the UK produce each year with this money and distribute it out evenly to the UK population allowing people to have a varied diet and keeping farmers growing and supporting self sufficiency.

Are you a communist? Thats what the Soviet government used to do and they were always short of food hence the long queues outside shops.
Reply 34
Original post by Maker
Are you a communist? Thats what the Soviet government used to do and they were always short of food hence the long queues outside shops.

It would work differently. I want to make clear I don't want to make everything communist.

There will be no food stores as food will be a need managed by the government reducing obesity and keeping everyone fed.
Reply 35
It would work differently. I want to make clear I don't want to make everything communist.

There will be no food stores as food will be a need managed by the government reducing obesity and keeping everyone fed.

At least the government won't need to grow any nuts.
Reply 36
Original post by Maker
At least the government won't need to grow any nuts.

It also stop's the greed of rich people does government control of food.
Reply 37
what the coon did i just read
Ouchhh, Tory Greens are just the worst ... it's not the 70s, nobody believes in Malthusianism any more.
Reply 39
x

I dont need to argue. Others have already debunked your stupid argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending