The Student Room Group

GCSE History of Germany AQA Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ranjeep
The bombing was done after Hitler had gained power. It was done by Stauffenberg who placed a bomb at Hitler's side of the table, and this was to get rid of Hitler for once and for all. Stauffenberg was part of an operation called Operation Valkyrie, and the main objective was to kill Hitler and them take over Berlin with the army.

This was significant as it showed that there was opposition to the Nazi's, that people did object to their ideas. However, the aftermath of this was that Hitler executed around 5,000 people. This was an excuse for him to execute people who he knew/he thought opposed him, and so this was a way for him to make sure that no one would try and oppose him or even take away his power. It was a good and effective was to make sure that no one opposed him, and it was a good signal. As it was an example ton the people of what would happen to them if they opposed him - allowing Hitler to rule through terror

I think your second point is too simplistic.

Everyone knew there was opposition to the Nazis, what was significant was that people VERY close to Hitler were opposing him. Thus showing how people were losing confidence in his plans, and even ideas.

I think the fact that he executed thousands of prisoners showed how weak Hitler had become. Hitler felt the need to assert his authority in a ruthless way, because he could see power and influence slipping away from him. There would have been no major opposition to the Nazis from the public anyway, due to the fact from June 1944 it wasn't a matter of 'if' the Nazis were to be defeated but 'when'. Thus opposition would have been futile.
Also don't try and revise anything past midnight.

If you want to do something, watch a documentary.
I have a question: Was Ebert important, and if he was why was he important?
Original post by jamestg

Everyone knew there was opposition to the Nazis, what was significant was that people VERY close to Hitler were opposing him. Thus showing how people were losing confidence in his plans, and even ideas.

I think the fact that he executed thousands of prisoners showed how weak Hitler had become. Hitler felt the need to assert his authority in a ruthless way, because he could see power and influence slipping away from him. There would have been no major opposition to the Nazis from the public anyway, due to the fact from June 1944 it wasn't a matter of 'if' the Nazis were to be defeated but 'when'. Thus opposition would have been futile.

Original post by jamestg

Thank you, that was very helpful
Original post by Ranjeep
Thank you, that was very helpful

No problem! Good luck tomorrow!!
Original post by Ranjeep
I have a question: Was Ebert important, and if he was why was he important?

A reason why Ebert is important is due to the fact that he ordered the Freikorps to deal with the Communists during the Spartacist Rising. As a result of this, this meant that the SPD and the KPD wouldn't ever join forces to create a strong, left-wing opposition. Consequently, this was one of the reasons why the Weimar government was weak, and therefore why the people of Germany wanted a strong and decisive government (which the Nazis appeared to offer).

How was the influence of the Churches in Germany weakened?
Original post by nerdyminion
How was the influence of the Churches in Germany weakened?

The churches did play a big role in Germany. At the Start in Weimar Germany they started to lose power. The weimar culture had grown similar to the American Culture, and it went against their beliefs. The culture helped to bring their power down. But i dint understand how to exactly phrase it
Original post by Ranjeep
The churches did play a big role in Germany. At the Start in Weimar Germany they started to lose power. The weimar culture had grown similar to the American Culture, and it went against their beliefs. The culture helped to bring their power down. But i dint understand how to exactly phrase it

You need to talk about both the Catholic and the Protestant churches. For the Catholic Church, Hitler signed a Concordat in July 1933 with the Pope that stated that he would let the Church worship and have their education - as long as they stayed out of the politics (which led the Centre Party to be dissolved). However, Hitler went against this agreement quite quickly, with him abusing priests, and getting rid of the Church schools and the Catholic youth groups (to make the children join the Nazi-run schools and the Hitler Youth, so that they could brainwash the children with Nazi ideologies).

For the Protestants, there were two churches: the Reich Church and the Confessing Church. Ludwig Muller was the leader of the Reich Church, and the Reich Church supported the Nazis. Whereas, the Confessing Church critised the Nazi regime, thinking that it interfered with the basic beliefs of Christianity; its leader was Martin Niemoller. Consequently, this meant that the Protestant churches were divided, thereby weakening their influence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can you explain the Dawes plan, Locarno pact and the young plan?
Original post by nerdyminion
When he was the Chancellor, the first thing he did was to call off the passive resistance in the Ruhr, so that the government no longer needed to pay the workers. Then, in order to solve the hyper-inflation that was caused by the government paying the workers due to the Ruhr invasion, Stresemann recalled all of the old currency and replaced it with the Rentenmark; this stabilised the economy.Then, when he was the Foreign Minister, he did various things: the Dawes Plan (1924), the Locarno Pact (1925), the League of Nations (1926) and the Young Plan (1929).Dawes Plan: reduced and rescheduled the reparations. It also gave money to Germany in order to kick start German industry, but in doing so this made Germany dependent upon the USA.Locarno Pact: Germany accepted the western borders that were in place due to the Treaty of Versailles (and therefore promised that German wouldn't invade France or Belgium).The League of Nations: This regained Germany's international status. Although, some Germans didn't like this as the League of Nations was associated with the Treaty of Versailles.Young Plan: Reduced the reparations by 67%, and also rescheduled them.

Original post by Ranjeep
Can you explain the Dawes plan, Locarno pact and the young plan?

I've already answered that :smile:
Reply 30
You've got to be sh¡ting me...someone answer these please with simple point answer:
"Did the Nazis rely on popular support in keeping hold of power?"
"Was the Treaty of Versailles the main reason for the Nazi's rise to power
How far did the nazi party develop its ideas and organisation up to 1929
How successful were the Nazis in influencing young people?
-thx
In bullet poibts, how did the nazis Benefit of the depression? And explain Weimar culture please
Original post by Omz123
You've got to be sh¡ting me...someone answer these please with simple point answer:
"Did the Nazis rely on popular support in keeping hold of power?"
"Was the Treaty of Versailles the main reason for the Nazi's rise to power
How far did the nazi party develop its ideas and organisation up to 1929
How successful were the Nazis in influencing young people?
-thx

1) popular support, censorship and police state
2) ToV, weakness of WG, economic problems
3) that won't come up, way too narrow for GCSE
4) HJ/BDM, use of young men and women for the war effort, youth opposition
I'm trying to find out what things I should revise for the history aqa GCSE tomorrow. Anyone got any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending