The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Business - Unit 3 Revision thread (14th June 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roadrunner55
i've read examiners report and they keep asking 6 markers where they dont give you context within the case study in the exam paper, but they expect you to have context.

e.g. 2015 two reasons why india orginally increased tariffs on imports

how do you apply context to a question like this ?

You could mention that india is a developing economy therefore lacks a developed manufacturing sector (secondary), or it is in the process of developing a manufacturing(infant industry) so they put tariffs on imports to protect domestic firms from competition through imports, which may otherwise been more competitive on price, increasing domestic firms sales.

But i have the same problem, don`t really get what they will accept as context.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Devinely
Hmm I only know of Tata as well.....might be something to look up online, maybe another company which produces/sells steel like Tata does so there's a comparison?

I'm not sure China has a specific case study, but I feel like you could mention China's vast increase in FDI from 2004 onwards (cheap unskilled labour is ideal for businesses, and made the country an ideal place to relocate production), which then led to technology transfer which was v. beneficial to china as well as access to new technology being one of their key aims after their political reforms - MNC's had to set up joint ventures w/ a chinese company. More skilled labour then became available leading to greater production efficiency.
Increased information and technology led to the country being able to develop much more sophisticated products, eg. electronics and solar panels, with HUAWEI (electronics) and Suntech (solar panels) now becoming MNC's operating in different countries.

No idea if this actually makes sense? :/
Original post by millie.gd
I'm not sure China has a specific case study, but I feel like you could mention China's vast increase in FDI from 2004 onwards (cheap unskilled labour is ideal for businesses, and made the country an ideal place to relocate production), which then led to technology transfer which was v. beneficial to china as well as access to new technology being one of their key aims after their political reforms - MNC's had to set up joint ventures w/ a chinese company. More skilled labour then became available leading to greater production efficiency.
Increased information and technology led to the country being able to develop much more sophisticated products, eg. electronics and solar panels, with HUAWEI (electronics) and Suntech (solar panels) now becoming MNC's operating in different countries.

No idea if this actually makes sense? :/

That made perfect sense, thanks :smile:

I suppose this also helped their country's growth and standard of living as well, giving them an increased HDI rating.
Reply 43
hey guys for the case study of China
what Chinese MNC do people know? i only know tata for india

foxconn
ZTE
Lenovo
Haier

most of these MNCs focus on electronics or telecommunications
Original post by SamuelN98
You could mention that india is a developing economy therefore lacks a developed manufacturing sector (secondary), or it is in the process of developing a manufacturing(infant industry) so they put tariffs on imports to protect domestic firms from competition through imports, which may otherwise been more competitive on price, increasing domestic firms sales.

how did you know these facts my teacher never taught us this, i might use that if it comes up, thanks so their adopting china's comparative advantage of manufacturing, but its still in the infant stage
Reply 45

something specifically relevant towards India?

like a fact which you have said
how did you know these facts my teacher never taught us this, i might use that if it comes up, thanks so their adopting china's comparative advantage of manufacturing, but its still in the infant stage

Yeah. I think thats the case also this may be relevant.
http://www.thehindu.com/business/budget/india-has-second-fastest-growing-services-sector/article6193500.ece
Its services sector is growing too.
Original post by hehexd
something specifically relevant towards India?

like a fact which you have said

So for example knowledge that there population is growing or they are a developing economy?
Reply 48
So for example knowledge that there population is growing or they are a developing economy?

i think that's alright if you're making it clear that you're talking about India specifically.

e.g India's population is 1.2 billion and growing
Reply 49
May be of help,
TOP UK Businesses:
1. John Lewis Group - Retail.
2. McLaren Technology - Mechanical and Car production.
3. Dyson - Utility goods.
4. Dixons Carphone - Retail Electronics.

TOP CHINA Businesses:
1. Xiaomi - Electronics manufacturers.
2. Huawei - Electronics manufacturers.
3. 361 Degrees - Sportswear and equipment (Could help with Unit 4 too, cheeky)
4. Lenovo - Computing company.

TOP INDIA Businesses:
1. Tata Conglomerate - Motors, Steel, Banking etc.
2. Reliance Conglomerate - Retail, Logistics etc.
3. Bajaj Motors - Vehicles.
4. Dabur - Healthcare Goods.
A lot of this paper seems like it can be answered with a basic grasp of the knowledge and common sense, a lot of it isn't really that complicated. India/China always gets me though but I suppose my teacher never really gave us much to go off... Very very poor teacher this year. Did most of the teaching to ourselves.
Reply 51
Original post by MicroSDMan
A lot of this paper seems like it can be answered with a basic grasp of the knowledge and common sense, a lot of it isn't really that complicated. India/China always gets me though but I suppose my teacher never really gave us much to go off... Very very poor teacher this year. Did most of the teaching to ourselves.

Yeah i do think a lot of it is quite common knowledge, the hard part really is applying it with the case studies and real businesses. If you can nail that can't really go wrong
Unit 3 exam today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek3:

Good luck everyone! :five: :biggrin:
Reply 53

you too buddy
i've read examiners report and they keep asking 6 markers where they dont give you context within the case study in the exam paper, but they expect you to have context.

e.g. 2015 two reasons why india orginally increased tariffs on imports

how do you apply context to a question like this ?

Everybody knows there is lots of poverty so you could say tariffs= more gov. revenue which they can re-invest to help people out of poverty
Reply 55

Good luck to you too, hopefully we get a nice paper! :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Nath98
Good luck to you too, hopefully we get a nice paper! :smile:

good luck, i hope so too!
wasn't too bad? Never heard of pentland and bettys though!
Reply 58
Original post by Tizzydag

Yeah it was a pretty decent paper! Only thing that threw me off was the Q8 on government policies, may have messed that one up a bit. Rest was all good! :biggrin:

Reply 59
Original post by Tizzydag

could have gone way better but there were some nice questions like global sourcing, negative impacts of MNCs, can MNCs be controlled and government policies

Quick Reply