The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Oh boy I'm praying for Rosenhan - 12 marker on him would be amazing :crossedf: Although I don't think they've ever given a 12 marker on a study before, they've mostly been on treatments and research methods
I mean the unit 3 paper wasn't bad so either they'll be really harsh on this paper or nice again :redface:

I wouldn't mind a 12 marker on Rosenhan or Goldstein! I've omitted everything on my second disorder (phobias) so my worst nightmare would be a 12 marker on it :lol: I could describe the learning explanation (classical conditioning), and systematic desensitisation is fine but I know nothing on the psychodynamic explanation or treatment, or the study ahhhh so risky
Reply 641
Original post by chickenfoot
lolwhat
of course it's easier to get an E or D than it is a C. you don't lose marks, you just don't gain them if you don't answer them correctly. do some past papers while looking at the markscheme.

Lol I worded it wrong I think, what im trying to say is, is it hard to gain marks? I've looked at some examiners reports, they dont seem to like to mark generically anymore, more subjectively. So do you think that'll make it harder to gain marks?
A dream Q would be like the crim 12 marker cos ppl r **** at comparing in general and I've practised now hahah
Original post by rileystringer1
I wouldn't mind a 12 marker on Rosenhan or Goldstein! I've omitted everything on my second disorder (phobias) so my worst nightmare would be a 12 marker on it :lol: I could describe the learning explanation (classical conditioning), and systematic desensitisation is fine but I know nothing on the psychodynamic explanation or treatment, or the study ahhhh so risky

Ahh my second disorder is unipolar depression and I feel more okay with that than Schizophrenia (I find that I barely have any AO1 for ACT) hahah
So we DEFINITELY don't have to know Goldstein, we can use Gottesman & Shields right? I've asked this before but I'm still scared
does anyone have like 'a page of everything you need to know of revision notes? someone posted it from crim and child and it was really helpful
Reply 646
Hey can anyone reply with the predictions for Unit 4 12m and 18m?? Please and thank you

Also at my school we did a revision conference with (don't quote me on this) one of the people in edexcel who created the papers ans he said that ethnocentrism can't be an 18m because for that to happen everyone in the country must have learnt child psychology- and not everyone did cos health and sports was an option ! But don't trust me on this , that's what he said!
Original post by Krupa98
Hey can anyone reply with the predictions for Unit 4 12m and 18m?? Please and thank you

Also at my school we did a revision conference with (don't quote me on this) one of the people in edexcel who created the papers ans he said that ethnocentrism can't be an 18m because for that to happen everyone in the country must have learnt child psychology- and not everyone did cos health and sports was an option ! But don't trust me on this , that's what he said!

I hope you're right because I hate ethnocentrism - but I feel like there's quite a lot of studies you could use in an ethnocentrism essay that aren't related to child. It does sound logical though
No idea for predictions but describe and evaluate a study hasn't been a 12 marker at all? So it could be Rosenhan or Goldstein? No idea though
Ahh my second disorder is unipolar depression and I feel more okay with that than Schizophrenia (I find that I barely have any AO1 for ACT) hahah

Haha really? I see what you mean cos it's wishy washy but you can say random things and string them out for marks: based on the assumption that schizophrenia is caused by environmental factors, patients stay at home or in sheltered accommodation avoiding hospitalisation, involves a range of professionals (including.. who..), get help with things that can trigger such as handling bills to reduce stress, there is a 24h helpline and you can call on community psychiatric nurses at any time, may be given drugs/medication to take alongside the everyday visits to help symptoms, may be asked to keep a diary of how things are going to show the occupational therapist (or others) so they can advise

Original post by Krupa98

That is actually a valid point!? Because without the child side, you could only really talk about clinical, but you never know there is still quite a bit you could say about clinical: culture bound syndromes, interpretation of mental illness, interpretation of hearing voices, DSM being westernised, most research is done in USA (forgot the figure), twice as many black west indians diagnosed with DSM
This question from 2014 paper:

'Describe one treatment/therapy as it is used to treat schizophrenia.'

Is Drug Treatment a correct answer, because only TEP and CBT were given as examples?
Original post by lillyjox

Is Drug Treatment a correct answer, because only TEP and CBT were given as examples?

Drugs and assertive community therapy are the ones I know for schizophrenia :smile:

Chemotherapy is drug treatments :smile:
Chemotherapy is drug treatments :smile:

Oh yeah!! Thanks haha, do you think I should call it Chemotherapy instead? I've never used that term before!

Chemotherapy is also there which is drugs treatment

..but as if they teach TEPs and CBT as treatments for schizophrenia :K: Edexcel are ridiculous
Oh yeah!! Thanks haha, do you think I should call it Chemotherapy instead? I've never used that term before!

It's fine to call it drugs treatment

I don't think it's necessary as they'll know you mean drug treatments, just put something like "drug treatments (known as chemotherapy)"
To be honest I'm sure drug treatments is fine, I never really use the term chemotherapy haha
Original post by why197
Lol I worded it wrong I think, what im trying to say is, is it hard to gain marks? I've looked at some examiners reports, they dont seem to like to mark generically anymore, more subjectively. So do you think that'll make it harder to gain marks?

Mark scheme is there as a guide - examiners are more lenient on unit 4, as long as it's correct theory and it applies to the question you're good
Do we need to know Gauntlet and Cumberbach? For content analysis?
Original post by sophie0098
Do we need to know Gauntlet and Cumberbach? For content analysis?

I think so. That's the one I've learned (despite not looking at it before unit 4) but you need to be able to describe and evaluate a study that uses content analysis, so if you don't know another you need to know Cumberbatch (not sure if it'll be in a lot of detail though, I doubt it'll be a big question)
i'm actaully quite worried for the exam; i feel like i have no knowledge of any studies? any last minute tips on how i can lock in all the studies in my Long term memory.

Quick Reply

Latest