The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by izzy_hill
this is how my teacher showed us how to do it:

separate it into 4 sections - participants, design, material and procedure. as in, literally write out your answer with these headings, maybe underline them as titles, it'll help with structure!

under participants, write about your sample and how you will go about choosing them (e.g. volunteer) and why. if the question hints at the demographic you should use, go for it, but in most answers it's up to you to pick how many participants you're actually going to have etc.

under design, write your hypothesis (and whether it's directional etc), the independent and dependent variables in your study, what type of experiment it is going to be, or whether it's a correlational study, and maybe explain some measures you will take to try and cancel out extraneous variables etc. always justify!

under materials, you don't have to put much. e.g. if you're analysing kids' behaviour on a playground, you may need a video camera to record and analyse later, a content analysis sheet, and coloured bibs so you can differentiate your participants from the other children

and procedure is when you go through how many days the experiment will take place, the exact steps involved in your experiment (including ethical stuff, consent etc, and then the actual study), how the data is collected, whether you're using multiple observers at a time to increase inter-rater reliability, things like that. end it with a debriefing remember! if you have time, also go through how you will plot your results, and maybe even go through which statistical test you need to see if your results are significant.

remember they literally want you to act like a psychologist, so consider and explain/justify everything u can remember!! and if we get a 10 marker like this don't worry, we're meant to spent 50 minutes on research methods overall. we should have tons of time to do a really detailed answer for that type of question. idk how other schools/teachers have shown people, but that's how i've been taught!! hope it helped. if you can find any model answers online, have a look! if not i can post some of mine here, i've never gotten full marks lol but usually around 8/10 x

is this the same as a report kind of?
Just cant wait till this week is over!
(edited 7 years ago)
help!! is there anything in media or depression that I can get away with not revising? I procrastinated too much
Original post by aimsnaywux
I'd suggest you learn a max of 2 incase the question says "one or more" but learn them is soooooo much detail

okay thank you, but they would only ever ask a 10 mark question right? or can they ask a higher mark question? thanks again
Original post by harriet54321
okay thank you, but they would only ever ask a 10 mark question right? or can they ask a higher mark question? thanks again

I'm honestly unsure sorry I just revise what I've been taught and show up to the exam a haha
Original post by purplebricks
help!! is there anything in media or depression that I can get away with not revising? I procrastinated too much

Seeing as media there are a lot of explanations for example theres 4 for pro social behaviour and the media, I'd suggest you learn 2 out of the 4 as exam questions are mostly like "one or more" if you can do two in serious depth then you've got many marks.

I'd suggest learning the points, finding a study and finding at least 2 evaluation points for it.

I.E I've learnt for prosocial - expose to pro social behaviour and parental mediation.
Seeing as media there are a lot of explanations for example theres 4 for pro social behaviour and the media, I'd suggest you learn 2 out of the 4 as exam questions are mostly like "one or more" if you can do two in serious depth then you've got many marks.

I'd suggest learning the points, finding a study and finding at least 2 evaluation points for it.

I.E I've learnt for prosocial - expose to pro social behaviour and parental mediation.

Are you talking about SLT, desensitisation etc.?
Original post by кяя
So despite my rude comment earlier I might have to pull an all-nighter or close to one anyway.

Anyone got any tips? Literally never done this before. I'm scared of not being able to function tomorrow ahaa

Oh how the tables turn.
I'm honestly unsure sorry I just revise what I've been taught and show up to the exam a haha

haha no worries, thank you anyway
Are you talking about SLT, desensitisation etc.?

SLT and desensitisation is anti social behaviour
Original post by VanDarth
Oh how the tables turn.

Lmao. I think sometimes I can appear ruder than I am I use rude words way too much online
169 UMS for AS...
Want an A*
Can someone do the maths for me :smile: :wink:

What do I need to get on each paper 3 & 4 (%/grade)?
Original post by SunDun111
Ok, looking back at that expression emotion point it kinda fits in as A02 dosen't it

Brown et al found that in low expressed emotion famillies relapse rates was 9% wheras in high expressed emotional famillies relapse rate was 58%. This supports the idea famillies that are more cold and offer more critcism result in us regressing early and lead to characteristics of schizophrenia.

actually yeah that makes sense!
SLT and desensitisation is anti social behaviour

....that's really weird because our teacher taught us desensitisation, SLT and cognitive priming for anti social AND pro social???
Original post by TrojanH
i put the wrong date on mine... (got an A at AS)

lmaoo that is amazing :lol:
Original post by TrojanH
Why do people hate research methods? It's all application, easily my favourite bit because you don't have to remember entire essays like every other god damn module.

Literally, RM is much easier as well.
To be honest I can recall the information on the spot in most cases because it's application.
Everything else I have to write out after creating extensive revision plans.
....that's really weird because our teacher taught us desensitisation, SLT and cognitive priming for anti social AND pro social???

yeah i have cp and slt for both too dw

SLT + Sensitisation is for PSB
SLT+ Desensitisation is for ASB
(for me)
Original post by wickedisgood
lmaoo that is stupid and trojanh is an idiot:lol:

FTFY
The only thing keeping me going for this exam is how well PSYA3 went

Latest

Trending

Trending