The Student Room Group

The UK needs to STOP growing! (Out the EU I say)

Scroll to see replies

Self-sufficiency is good but dangerous. We simply cannot just rely on ourselves, we have to import goods. I don't think by being self sufficient and cutting off all immigration and trade will help us. Immigration is essential for economic growth, if we cut off immigration we hinder growth just as much as staying in the EU does. Yes, I want to leave the EU but I don't think being self-sufficient is good for us.

More examples are that we have an ageing population, how can we be self-sufficient with old people?
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Claims many are treated badly, yet many retain Union Jack on there flags. Logic?

maybe because some were treated well and others were treated appallingly? You clearly don't have much knowledge on this topic so i think it's best we end this discussion.
Good luck with the rest of your gcses :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by ByEeek
But I thought we were a net importer or energy too? How do you square that one in your quest for self sufficiency? I mean, it is fine having plenty of crops in the field, but how are we going to harvest, process and distribute them in a self sufficient model?

We have factory's to process the food and package it, farm machinery plant's and harvests,lorry comes for goods,takes to factory takes to government warehouse, government distributes.

Power is different to food but power self sufficiency is something else we should look towards.

We could go more nuclear but a meltdown is not so good for the UK. Tidal could be a good option considering we are an island nation so this makes sense.
Reply 84
Original post by MrMackyTv
Self-sufficiency is good but dangerous. We simply cannot just rely on ourselves, we have to import goods. I don't think by being self sufficient and cutting off all immigration and trade will help us. Immigration is essential for economic growth, if we cut off immigration we hinder growth just as much as staying in the EU does. Yes, I want to leave the EU but I don't think being self-sufficient is good for us.

More examples are that we have an ageing population, how can we be self-sufficient with old people?

I don't want to cut off all trade just trade with food because of issues that are very real and approaching.

We cut the food evenly so the old young and middle age are fed.
Is this some sort of advert for Greenpeace or a class on the environment?

has he dealt with how we cope with an ageing population and increased mortality rate?
Original post by scrotgrot
:facepalm2:

Sorry but I'm glad you're not old enough to vote

At least the young lad is trying lol but I definitely share your sentiments.
I don't want to cut off all trade just trade with food because of issues that are very real and approaching.

Yes but we can't rely on our agriculture, weather is really unpredictable right now, what would happen in the winter months and what would happen if there was a drought? How would we still be able to produce food? Won't massive greenhouses everywhere be expensive? Isn't it more of a loss than a win?
Reply 88
Original post by leinad2012
maybe because some were treated well and others were treated appallingly? You clearly don't have much knowledge on this topic so i think it's best we end this discussion.
Good luck with the rest of your gcses :smile:

Africa was a major area of UK colonies, that is one place the union flag fail's to fly still. (Slavery)

But what are we going to get from Africa??? Not much.

We cut the food evenly so the old young and middle age are fed.

So if you cut off trade with food, then people who we import from will retaliate and cut off trade with soemthing we sell to them.
Reply 90
Yes but we can't rely on our agriculture, weather is really unpredictable right now, what would happen in the winter months and what would happen if there was a drought? How would we still be able to produce food? Won't massive greenhouses everywhere be expensive? Isn't it more of a loss than a win?

How many droughts do you hear of in the UK? Very few if you ask me, we can put the right water irrigation in place to prevent drought and keep water out of flooding rivers and put to good use.

In the winter month's we live off the previous harvest and then start again next season.

And we won't have greenhouses everywhere..... Mostly for medical drugs and all that.
Reply 91
Original post by 999tigger
So if you cut off trade with food, then people who we import from will retaliate and cut off trade with soemthing we sell to them.

Why would they?

If they want what we re selling to them they ain't going to just 100% shut us off.

Food is just 1 thing out of 1,000 things we could offer.
Reply 92
Is this some sort of advert for Greenpeace or a class on the environment?

has he dealt with how we cope with an ageing population and increased mortality rate?

My model will keep everyone fed, enough said. No elderly guy would starve I can guarantee that through equal distribution of food.
How many droughts do you hear of in the UK? Very few if you ask me, we can put the right water irrigation in place to prevent drought and keep water out of flooding rivers and put to good use.

Droughts are more frequent now as a result of climate change. I don't think being self-sufficient isn't going to help us.

Water irrigation, flood defences all cost money. So do greenhouses, we just had a recession so how will this help us get out of the budget deficit?

In the winter month's we live off the previous harvest and then start again next season.

And we won't have greenhouses everywhere..... Mostly for medical drugs and all that.

Don't get me wrong. I love this idea, sounds like it works good in theory but you got to think about things that could happen and the cost. We aren't in any economic situation to all of a sudden cut off food trade and be self-sufficient.

What if the previous harvest was low, maybe because of a drought or floods? How will we deal with low stock in food?
Why would they?

If they want what we re selling to them they ain't going to just 100% shut us off.

Food is just 1 thing out of 1,000 things we could offer.

Because you hurt their industry. They will just buy elsewhere like the UK would. Its a trade war you would be starting. Everyone then loses.

The only way you cna do it legitimately is to persuade people to buy British, so they need to ditch their French wine, bananas and strawberries.
My model will keep everyone fed, enough said. No elderly guy would starve I can guarantee that through equal distribution of food.

It isnt about starving, an ageing popilation presents massive challenges, including how we pay for them in increased services. that means more people of working age to pay the taxes..
Reply 96
Droughts are more frequent now as a result of climate change. I don't think being self-sufficient isn't going to help us.

Water irrigation, flood defences all cost money. So do greenhouses, we just had a recession so how will this help us get out of the budget deficit?

Don't get me wrong. I love this idea, sounds like it works good in theory but you got to think about things that could happen and the cost. We aren't in any economic situation to all of a sudden cut off food trade and be self-sufficient.

What if the previous harvest was low, maybe because of a drought or floods? How will we deal with low stock in food?

Well let's look at it like this:

Self sufficiency and equal access to food will reduce chances of obesity. saves NHS money on obesity related disease.

This is money that can be put towards projects to help agriculture to sustain self sufficiency.
irrigation , sea walls to hold sea at bay , equipment , elderly people

So we have low stocks of food, possible solution's: reduce amount of food per person , temporary imports.
Reply 97
It isnt about starving, an ageing popilation presents massive challenges, including how we pay for them in increased services. that means more people of working age to pay the taxes..

Well we increase tax for people to receive goods like sweets and chocolate and tea as part of there food allowance.
This will give the government extra money to keep elderly people good, well and housed.
Well we increase tax for people to receive goods like sweets and chocolate and tea as part of there food allowance.
This will give the government extra money to keep elderly people good, well and housed.

Its going to take a lot more than sweets and chcolate to pay for the NHS.
Reply 99
Because you hurt their industry. They will just buy elsewhere like the UK would. Its a trade war you would be starting. Everyone then loses.

The only way you cna do it legitimately is to persuade people to buy British, so they need to ditch their French wine, bananas and strawberries.

The UK is mostly an importer of food currently, changing ourselves to a nation where food is not exported won't change too much as we are no major exporter of foods.

Countries will go elsewhere for foods but come to the UK for other goods they may need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending