The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martins1
Whilst it could be seen to be wrong you have to remember what he is basing his decision on:

For example if I am hiring a juggler, just because I don't hire all the applicants who have no arms, I'm not being a bigot or being discriminatory - they just can't juggle, so obviously I'm not going to hire them to be a juggler. What you've got to remember here is that I'm not not hiring because of their disability, but because of the fact that they can't juggle - anyone who can't juggle won't be hired.

So i guess it could argued that if the criteria for the job is being able to have extreme concentration, good work rate and high processing speed, one is not being discriminatory by not choosing someone with those qualities - even if it is because of their disability.

P.s - I do not believe this, but I'm just explaining why it could technically make sense.

Why do you not believe this it makes perfect sense?If a disabled person doesn't perform well enough at a test then thats the reason they are not getting hired not because they are disabled, to me increasing the time limit makes the test easier I think 100% of people would agree with this often employers deliberately make the timing strict and often brutal to screen out the worst applicants.

I don't think employers should have to make the tests easier for disabled people, after all what are disabled people in the context we are talking about people who are less able at something now if that skill comes up in the test I want to test applicants on then I'm not going to make those who struggle at that skill not have to be assessed on that skill thats not fair on the applicants who can perform well at that skill.

I would argue that extra time isn't a reasonable adjustment as thats a skill I will be testing hence the time limit.

In general I don't agree with people's comments on here you should always the person who performs the best I couldn't care less if they were female,black,chinese,disabled whatever but I want the best to be employed and extra time and similar adjustments seem designed to help weaker candidates/employees just because they have some disability(their disabilities mean they are not good at something).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Devinely
Er what? In both our examples we both gave the two people the same IQ and although neither of us mentioned it I presume we were both doing the examples based off of the assumption that they studied equally as hard? Therefore I can't say I understand your comment about Steve having "to look at how hard bob works".

Also how the heck is being disabled having an unfair advantage? Here's a definition of disability "a disadvantage or handicap, especially one imposed or recognized by the law." The very definition of disability says a person is at a disadvantage so i'm unsure how Steve's suppose to of had the advantage?

Spoiler

I'm taking the pissss.
Steve has the advantage because he has more time to complete the exam...how is that not an advantage?
But I hear you say that Steve has got "dyslexia".
Oh but I've heard "dyslexia" was created by the middle class because it was a clean excuse for why there child was not as bright as the next one. Or maybe that child with "dyslexia" is simply not that bright?
Original post by Dalek1099
Why do you not believe this it makes perfect sense?If a disabled person doesn't perform well enough at a test then thats the reason they are not getting hired not because they are disabled, to me increasing the time limit makes the test easier I think 100% of people would agree with this often employers deliberately make the timing strict and often brutal to screen out the worst applicants.

I don't think employers should have to make the tests easier for disabled people, after all what are disabled people in the context we are talking about people who are less able at something now if that skill comes up in the test I want to test applicants on then I'm not going to make those who struggle at that skill not have to be assessed on that skill thats not fair on the applicants who can perform well at that skill.

I would argue that extra time isn't a reasonable adjustment as thats a skill I will be testing hence the time limit.

In general I don't agree with people's comments on here you should always the person who performs the best I couldn't care less if they were female,black,chinese,disabled whatever but I want the best to be employed and extra time and similar adjustments seem designed to help weaker candidates/employees just because they have some disability(their disabilities mean they are not good at something).

I can see where you are coming from but would advise you to phrase it more nicely - saying you don't care about disabilities isn't what you really mean and proabably is very offensive to many people.
What you believe is that a GCSE is designed to test how much a person can get right in an hour - testing their writing/reading/thinking speed, their knowledge, IQ and individual abilities in that subject, regardless of anything which may affect the above, right?
Now, while that is a valid way of seeing GCSE's, I, like many others, believe that GCSE's should solely test knowledge, IQ and abilities and therefore if someone with a disability and someone without have the same of the above, then they should get the same mark. Thus, the person with disabilities ought to have extra time to ensure that their losing time due to their disability isn't effecting their grade - thus levelling out the playing field.

Hope you can see where I am coming from.
That right there is disability discrimination in the work place, something which is completely illegal. So tell me, how does it feel to be a bigot? :biggrin:

How about i give you an example now? I'll use the names Bob and Steve

Bob and Steve both are taking the same Psychology exam and the same IQ, but Steve finds it hard to recall information normally when under heavy stress so he will need extra time for reading and gathering his thoughts. Steve also happens to have severe Dyslexia and therefore will need extra time to correct a huge number of spelling mistakes.

When Bob and Steve get their results Bob is still likely to get a higher score than Steve did even with the extra time. That's because the extra time is only worth 25%(The top amount of extra time you can get), and therefore Steve still didn't have enough time to answer all the questions and correct their horrendous spelling. This means that Steve will still lose at least 5% on every question due to poor spelling.

The reason these people have the same IQ is because IQ is an incredibly flawed test and the bold bits highlight why why are these not tested on IQ tests?If we started adding SPaG and large portions of reading with time limits into IQ tests then dyslexics would then get their true IQ score which will be lower.

Dyslexia has been shown to be due to problems in the language processing in the brain clearly this is a skill that should be assessed and students penalised if they are bad at it, I'm sick of disabilities being invented for people being bad at stuff we are seeing the same with dyscalculia.

Its like I have a lot of difficulty with social interactions if this assessed in a test then yes I should do badly and the same goes for the rest of the stuff I am bad at.
Thank you for the condolences. This happened last year, I got through the exam season and did great without the special consideration.
Well you'd think so but without giving too much away I know of someone who doesn't need extra time has taken steps to get extra time
Original post by OturuDansay
I'm taking the pissss.
Steve has the advantage because he has more time to complete the exam...how is that not an advantage?
But I hear you say that Steve has got "dyslexia".
Oh but I've heard "dyslexia" was created by the middle class because it was a clean excuse for why there child was not as bright as the next one. Or maybe that child with "dyslexia" is simply not that bright?

By your reasoning Steven Hawkin and Enistein must have been idiots,because neither of them would be able to complete a paper within an hour time limit. Steven Hawkin wouldn't be able to due to how long it would take him to write each word using only the movement of his eye. Enistein wouldn't either because it's a well known that he had server dyslexia and would therefore need to take longer to write words correctly.
I can see where you are coming from but would advise you to phrase it more nicely - saying you don't care about disabilities isn't what you really mean and proabably is very offensive to many people.
What you believe is that a GCSE is designed to test how much a person can get right in an hour - testing their writing/reading/thinking speed, their knowledge, IQ and individual abilities in that subject, regardless of anything which may affect the above, right?
Now, while that is a valid way of seeing GCSE's, I, like many others, believe that GCSE's should solely test knowledge, IQ and abilities and therefore if someone with a disability and someone without have the same of the above, then they should get the same mark. Thus, the person with disabilities ought to have extra time to ensure that their losing time due to their disability isn't effecting their grade - thus levelling out the playing field.

Hope you can see where I am coming from.

If we want to assess what you want to assess then we have got to give everyone enough time to write their answers and then those with disabilities will also have enough time and do better, so a more reasonable solution would be to give everyone a lot of time.However, its likely that most people's scores would increase quite a bit(very common for people to not finish an exam or have to rush through and not have time to check answers, actually the last part is often extremely common I have experienced it a lot and checking answers would likely boost marks and very hard questions can be done with more time, sometimes my homework took hours to do but I ended up getting it mostly right they didn't usually give as hard questions in the exam though) and I think while those with disabilities would see their scores increase massively.This would mean a massive dumbing down of the examinations.

Actually I have a good example for you to consider in my University computer practical exam I got 60% and I got 100% for everything I did(harder than you think often small parts being wrong on certain cases cause you to lose a lot of marks it did for my computer coursework), the timing was the issue simply too little time to do the test my friends also got nowhere near to completing the exam.Disabled people here would have had a massive unfair advantage to get extra time because they are slow when thats exactly what most people struggled on in this exam.

You have got exactly what I meant but I have always viewed fast thinking as a sign of intelligence and a skill that is assessed in exams and in real life also.At school you often had games/tests that specifically tested how quickly you could do something like maths calculations quickly in your head which I usually did well on and you got your times tables tests timed I think and I was usually first finished with all of them correct and people saw the person who finished first as most intelligent and we also see it on game shows like countdown.

Extra time is also clearly being abused people with dyslexia with maths talents have succeeded in the past before it was recognised as a condition so they still succeeded without extra time, in fact I went to a talk by a scientific inventor who nearly got kicked out of school because they were appalling at English(much later found out he was dyslexic) but his Science and Maths papers were excellent so he ended up being accepted.However, dyslexic students are being given extra time on exams where they do not need extra time(example of this can be found on TSR I believe where cleverer people at certain subjects got extra time).
(edited 7 years ago)
This is an absurd question. Of course some people deserve extra time. If they are starting from behind due to their health restrictions then they should be given adequate time to compensate, otherwise it just isnt fair.
By your reasoning Steven Hawkin and Enistein must have been idiots,because neither of them would be able to complete a paper within an hour time limit. Steven Hawkin wouldn't be able to due to how long it would take him to write each word using only the movement of his eye. Enistein wouldn't either because it's a well known that he had server dyslexia and would therefore need to take longer to write words correctly.

Does Hawkin have a learning disability.... no he has a severe physical disability which is very much a different thing.
I could argue all night about this but I will not.
Extra time should only be given to people under severe circumstances. And that's that.
Original post by OturuDansay

Extra time should only be given to people under severe circumstances. And that's that.

That's already the case. It's not given to anyone just because they have a disability. They have to have a reason for it.
For some subjects yes, definetely, like english and if you have a disability.

But I'm in AS at the moment and people without extra time struggle to finish and people with it get an extra 30 minutes and they always finish. Sometimes i find it completely ridiculous and unfair.
Original post by Dalek1099
If we want to assess what you want to assess then we have got to give everyone enough time to write their answers and then those with disabilities will also have enough time and do better, so a more reasonable solution would be to give everyone a lot of time.However, its likely that most people's scores would increase quite a bit(very common for people to not finish an exam or have to rush through and not have time to check answers, actually the last part is often extremely common I have experienced it a lot and checking answers would likely boost marks and very hard questions can be done with more time, sometimes my homework took hours to do but I ended up getting it mostly right they didn't usually give as hard questions in the exam though) and I think while those with disabilities would see their scores increase massively.This would mean a massive dumbing down of the examinations.

How is this a dumbing down of exams? It's the exact same material, so its not being dumbed down, although giving everyone adequate time would make it easier - NOT dumbed down. And the reason we have a time limit is because otherwise in English, RS, History and Classics literature people would write an absolute tonne - which would be impossible to mark. All that is happening with extra time is that people are recieving what is essentially the same aount of time in proportion to their writing speed. Person A is no less intelligent than Person B because they broke their hand and so have a slower writing speed... The same is true of those who just naturally have slow writing speed. That's why science/maths exams are very rarely ever time pressured - because they are testing ability and knowledge, and people won't write tonnes even with extra time. In time pressured exams, it's only there for practical reasons.

Actually I have a good example for you to consider in my University computer practical exam I got 60% and I got 100% for everything I did(harder than you think often small parts being wrong on certain cases cause you to lose a lot of marks it did for my computer coursework), the timing was the issue simply too little time to do the test my friends also got nowhere near to completing the exam.Disabled people here would have had a massive unfair advantage to get extra time because they are slow when thats exactly what most people struggled on in this exam.
But they wouldn't because although in actual time they get more, due to their disabilities, their time in proportion to their writing speed is therefore the same as yours is - and often its actually less. Imagine if you started an exam and literally after reading the five word question in a few seconds, continously write at full speed, getting everything correct. However, despite knowing exactly what more you needed to write down, you PYSICALLY could not complete the exam on account of your writing speed. Imagine how frustrating that would be and how frustrated you would be, having revised and worked hard for the exam, and knowing that you KNEW all the asnwers but your writing speed let you down. Exams should not be a test of writing speed, but genuine intelligence...

You have got exactly what I meant but I have always viewed fast thinking as a sign of intelligence and a skill that is assessed in exams and in real life also.At school you often had games/tests that specifically tested how quickly you could do something like maths calculations quickly in your head which I usually did well on and you got your times tables tests timed I think and I was usually first finished with all of them correct and people saw the person who finished first as most intelligent and we also see it on game shows like countdown.
This I can understand - if you think of thinking speed as a sign of intelligence, I can understand that.

Extra time is also clearly being abused people with dyslexia with maths talents have succeeded in the past before it was recognised as a condition so they still succeeded without extra time, in fact I went to a talk by a scientific inventor who nearly got kicked out of school because they were appalling at English(much later found out he was dyslexic) but his Science and Maths papers were excellent so he ended up being accepted.However, dyslexic students are being given extra time on exams where they do not need extra time(example of this can be found on TSR I believe where cleverer people at certain subjects got extra time).

The abuse of a system does not mean it should be abolished. It means we should improve the system. You can't just give up on all people with disabilities because the system isn't working - that is not their fault...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 492
I personally feel like I am quite well equipped to answer this question as I have multiple experiences with it. A lot of people seem to think that if a person uses a word processor, then they should not be entitled to extra time because they will be able to type faster than they write. However I have a severely disabled friend who is highly intelligent. She can write, but what would take us 5 minutes, would take her 10-15 and after a short while, she would not be able to write any longer as her muscles would become too weak. She writes in papers such as maths and languages with extra time, but has worked hard to get the knowledge so she can complete the paper in the extra time, and she has a scribe there if need be. In essay based papers, she uses a laptop, but she still cannot type at the same speed an able bodied person would thus entitling her to extra time. Also basic things like turning the page is a lot more effort for her and could take 30 seconds for something that takes seconds for us. In this instance, extra time is completely acceptable.

There are also those people who get a laptop for illegible handwriting. I know one of these, he gets a laptop and extra time. Honestly, this is of no use to him. Yes his writing is illegible, but he also does not have the knowledge to apply so the extra time is wasted. In cases such as this, where handwriting is the only issue, a laptop should be granted but not extra time.

I have two friends with learning difficulties. One, whom is not diagnosed with anything, but has just been allowed to slip through the hoops for years and now struggles academically. She is entered for foundation papers, and this is right for her, but she is also entitled to extra time. I am in two minds about this with her. Yes, she uses it and I'm sure it is beneficial to her grades, but then I wonder at how much more of a disadvantage she is than her peers entered for the same courses. I do not believe she should be entitled to extra time, because she is at the same position as most of her classmates, she is not dyslexic, dyspraxic, autistic or anything of the sort, she just struggles. So here I think this is unnecessary.

My closest friend has been diagnosed with dyslexia, but is highly intelligent. She will come out with good grades, quite possibly A's and B's in subjects such as history and English, but this is through having learnt to adapt. She feels the pressure more in exams as she takes twice the time to read something, and doesn't fully understand what she has read even then. If she enquired about extra time, she would probably be eligible to it for written/reading subjects, but she hasn't because she feels she would be at an advantage because academically she is good. The extra time would most certainly be helpful to her as it would give her chance to read things properly, time to reread at the end and she would be able to focus on her spelling and grammar more. But she feels she would get grief for taking extra time with the grades she is getting - and this thread shows she is right.

Finally, there is the situation I am in. I have severe anxiety with depressive tendencies. This means that it is not uncommon for me to have complete meltdowns in an exam, either panic attacks, or sat sobbing uncontrollably into a chair. I am entitled to extra time for this, as a means of trying to make me feel better if I do have an issue as often the panic of a time limit makes me worse. However, I do not take this. Instead, I take rest breaks if need be. In this situation, I am either taken out of he room straight away, or left until I am able to be removed from the room. Somebody takes note of the time five minutes into an episode, and then I am given a choice when I go back in. I can either take back all the time I have missed, or shorter. I always choose shorter because I don't see it to be fair for me to take back all the time I have missed, especially when I've been in the room for some of it. Say it's been 10 minutes since someone started watching the clock, I will generally only take five. This is also partly because I feel I am at an advantage if I take the full time. I have had time to rest my hand, compose myself and get my thoughts together etc. However, if I didn't claim any time back, I would be at a huge disadvantage.

So, I think extra time depends hugely on the situation. Sorry this is an essay, I just have a lot to say on the matter!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh

There are also those people who get a laptop for illegible handwriting. I know one of these, he gets a laptop and extra time. Honestly, this is of no use to him. Yes his writing is illegible, but he also does not have the knowledge to apply so the extra time is wasted. In cases such as this, where handwriting is the only issue, a laptop should be granted but not extra time.
Completely agreed - quite confused why they do get extra time - the problem is not his timing, but handwriting, so surely extra time is unnecessary - unless his typing speed is much slower than that of his writing speed, I guess.

I have two friends with learning difficulties. One, whom is not diagnosed with anything, but has just been allowed to slip through the hoops for years and now struggles academically. She is entered for foundation papers, and this is right for her, but she is also entitled to extra time. I am in two minds about this with her. Yes, she uses it and I'm sure it is beneficial to her grades, but then I wonder at how much more of a disadvantage she is than her peers entered for the same courses. I do not believe she should be entitled to extra time, because she is at the same position as most of her classmates, she is not dyslexic, dyspraxic, autistic or anything of the sort, she just struggles. So here I think this is unnecessary.

Well, I think that if someone hasn't been disagnosed they should immediately get diagnosed - there is often a tonne of help and advice from professionals concerning this. It could very well be affecting her learning and this could be what means whe has to do foundation tier rather than higher tier. On the other hand, the professionals may also say that it isn't affecting her learning - either way, she ought to find out.

My closest friend has been diagnosed with dyslexia, but is highly intelligent. She will come out with good grades, quite possibly A's and B's in subjects such as history and English, but this is through having learnt to adapt. She feels the pressure more in exams as she takes twice the time to read something, and doesn't fully understand what she has read even then. If she enquired about extra time, she would probably be eligible to it for written/reading subjects, but she hasn't because she feels she would be at an advantage because academically she is good. The extra time would most certainly be helpful to her as it would give her chance to read things properly, time to reread at the end and she would be able to focus on her spelling and grammar more. But she feels she would get grief for taking extra time with the grades she is getting - and this thread shows she is right.

I feel that its sad that people feel forced not to take extra time they are entitled to due to peer pressure/harassment.

Finally, there is the situation I am in. I have severe anxiety with depressive tendencies. This means that it is not uncommon for me to have complete meltdowns in an exam, either panic attacks, or sat sobbing uncontrollably into a chair. I am entitled to extra time for this, as a means of trying to make me feel better if I do have an issue as often the panic of a time limit makes me worse. However, I do not take this. Instead, I take rest breaks if need be. In this situation, I am either taken out of he room straight away, or left until I am able to be removed from the room. Somebody takes note of the time five minutes into an episode, and then I am given a choice when I go back in. I can either take back all the time I have missed, or shorter. I always choose shorter because I don't see it to be fair for me to take back all the time I have missed, especially when I've been in the room for some of it. Say it's been 10 minutes since someone started watching the clock, I will generally only take five. This is also partly because I feel I am at an advantage if I take the full time. I have had time to rest my hand, compose myself and get my thoughts together etc. However, if I didn't claim any time back, I would be at a huge disadvantage.

So, I think extra time depends hugely on the situation. Sorry this is an essay, I just have a lot to say on the matter!

Well said!
Completely agreed - quite confused why they do get extra time - the problem is not his timing, but handwriting, so surely extra time is unnecessary - unless his typing speed is much slower than that of his writing speed, I guess.

Well, I think that if someone hasn't been disagnosed they should immediately get diagnosed - there is often a tonne of help and advice from professionals concerning this. It could very well be affecting her learning and this could be what means whe has to do foundation tier rather than higher tier. On the other hand, the professionals may also say that it isn't affecting her learning - either way, she ought to find out.

I feel that its sad that people feel forced not to take extra time they are entitled to due to peer pressure/harassment.

Well said!

I think you've cracked it, buddy! Absolutely spot on.
Reply 495
Although people don't get 'extra time' in the world of work, there are few scenarios where you are placed under timed conditions in anywhere near the same way you would be in an exam. And where these do arise it is unlikely someone who has difficulties would consider themselves appropriate/wish to work in such a role anyway, they're more likely to pick a role more suited to them.

Generally, in the workplace (and everyday life) you learn to adapt and manage your difficulties. When you know a certain task is going to take you longer, you give it more time and might stay a bit late at the office, maybe work through lunch or get other things done quicker to give this more challenging task more of your day. If you cant remember something, you can ask a colleague to help, or ask the person on the phone to bear with you whilst you double check. You can use a computer to write, software to help you, you can look up spellings, all things you can't do under exam conditions.

Exams don't reflect on real life and the situation is something you're unlikely to face in the workplace. It is likely your deadlines will be weeks, days, or 'by lunch', rather than in one or two hours. Yes you need to be able to get things done in a time frame but a larger one with resources to help you. Yes you need to manage your time but you'll be much more experienced in what you're doing and how to do it. Questions on an exam could be anything.

Taking someone like Steven Hawking is he had has his condition whilst at school... He's incredibly intelligent and obviously would deserve high grades. He would get extra time as he cant just quickly sprawl his answers like the rest of us. Extreme example as its a very severe disability but if we took extra time away from people such as him we could discourage/ fail to help the growth of some minds and overlook real intelligence that would be an asset to certain fields of work.
Original post by Anmol_.
I don't think so unless you have a disability. Having extra time because you write too slow is wrong.

Some people write slowly because of a disability... of course it's fair to give them extra time. The speed at which someone writes doesn't affect the quality of their answers which is what the exams are there to measure.
Original post by kisaki
Although people don't get 'extra time' in the world of work, there are few scenarios where you are placed under timed conditions in anywhere near the same way you would be in an exam. And where these do arise it is unlikely someone who has difficulties would consider themselves appropriate/wish to work in such a role anyway, they're more likely to pick a role more suited to them.

Generally, in the workplace (and everyday life) you learn to adapt and manage your difficulties. When you know a certain task is going to take you longer, you give it more time and might stay a bit late at the office, maybe work through lunch or get other things done quicker to give this more challenging task more of your day. If you cant remember something, you can ask a colleague to help, or ask the person on the phone to bear with you whilst you double check. You can use a computer to write, software to help you, you can look up spellings, all things you can't do under exam conditions.

Exams don't reflect on real life and the situation is something you're unlikely to face in the workplace. It is likely your deadlines will be weeks, days, or 'by lunch', rather than in one or two hours. Yes you need to be able to get things done in a time frame but a larger one with resources to help you. Yes you need to manage your time but you'll be much more experienced in what you're doing and how to do it. Questions on an exam could be anything.

Taking someone like Steven Hawking is he had has his condition whilst at school... He's incredibly intelligent and obviously would deserve high grades. He would get extra time as he cant just quickly sprawl his answers like the rest of us. Extreme example as its a very severe disability but if we took extra time away from people such as him we could discourage/ fail to help the growth of some minds and overlook real intelligence that would be an asset to certain fields of work.

Spot on! Very well written, and precisely what needs to be said! Although this also adds on to the reasons why exams themselves ought to be reformed!
Maybe in extreme, extreme circumstances (bad illness and properly diagnosed dyslexia) but non of this "but I can't write fast 😭😭 business". Like if you can't handle exams do a BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In some aspects I believe it's unfair. I know someone who gets it and finishes exams before me, and I don't get extra time, therefore showing they don't need it. If you have mental disabilities I can very much understand, but it isn't fair for people who cheat their way around it and quite evidently don't use it anyways.

Latest