The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan to ban "body shaming" adverts from London Transport

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TercioOfParma
No it doesn't. I see sexy men in ads and it doesn't create misandry because I don't have that shape, even if it does make people want that. People don't just spontaneously hate men because of the ads.

Well that's not how women see it and that's not what's happening. It is creating misogyny.

So you don't mind having a pot belly? Suit yourself. Personally ads do pressure me to work out even though im not overweight. And I know a lot of women do perceive the 6 pack or something as the personal shape.
Original post by drogon
Well that's not how women see it and that's not what's happening. It is creating misogyny.

So you don't mind having a pot belly? Suit yourself. Personally ads do pressure me to work out even though im not overweight. And I know a lot of women do perceive the 6 pack or something as the personal shape.

Do you even know what mysogyny is? I don't hate women because women are attractive in ads, not even at a subconcious level.

Hey, you have two options:

1) Work out
2) Don't

Who knows, even the first option may do you some good.

It is not society's job to change because you find something unpleasant.
I'm just concerned about the precedent, the wording of that is reeaaallly vague.
Original post by JordanL_
I don't understand how that makes it an issue with Muslims. Is everything Boris did as mayor because of Christians?

It would be hilarious if he had agreed. Given Boris has muslim Turkish blood in him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Do you even know what mysogyny is? I don't hate women because women are attractive in ads, not even at a subconcious level.

Hey, you have two options:

1) Work out
2) Don't

Who knows, even the first option may do you some good.

It is not society's job to change because you find something unpleasant.

It's not creating misogyny towards all women but towards women who don't have that perfect body shape. The social perception. My bad for assuming you have some common sense.
Original post by drogon
It's not creating misogyny towards all women but towards women who don't have that perfect body shape. The social perception. My bad for assuming you have some common sense.

Then it isn't mysogyny is it? Hating a woman != Hating women. Not all women are fat.
Trying to ban these things is ridiculous. They're not offensive at all and they don't ""body-shame" anyone. They are just ideals that people should/could aim to achieve. People know they aren't representative of the norm.
Reply 27
Then it isn't mysogyny is it? Hating a woman != Hating women. Not all women are fat.

Misogyny isn't hate against ALL women. It's just women. Even if one woman is hated because of her gender, it's misogyny.
Original post by drogon
Misogyny isn't hate against ALL women. It's just women. Even if one woman is hated because of her gender, it's misogyny.

"dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women."

How exactly does an ad make me hate a woman based off of the fact she is a woman? Because she's fat and women aren't supposed to? How does one ad promote that?
Reply 29
"dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women."

How exactly does an ad make me hate a woman based off of the fact she is a woman? Because she's fat and women aren't supposed to? How does one ad promote that?

You're spinning it in circles now. Read my original reply where i answered this.
Can't have images of attractive people in advertisements now, can we? It might hurt someone's feefees.

Who does this clown think he is? The mayor should have no right.

Anyway, 'body shaming' ads probably boost the economy by encouraging insecure fatties to invest in either gym memberships or more icecream.
Original post by drogon
You're spinning it in circles now. Read my original reply where i answered this.

Ok, lets address this piece by piece then:

"Well it's not just fat people. Personally i think it's one of the only things feminists are right about. Ads like theses give a social perception of women and they are expected to conform to it"

How exactly? Because one ad tells a woman to lose weight suddenly everyone hates the woman who doesn't?

"as well as creating misogyny amongst men when a woman does not have the ideal body shape."

Again, where is your proof?
Original post by drogon
No, you are. What makes you think he's putting his Islamic views into practise? He's not even very religious.

There's plenty of non muslims who advocate these laws, why are you prejudicing Mr Khan for? It's disgusting and frankly the posts you make are abhorrent and you're the epitome of a racist, uneducated and bigoted pleb.

Name calling and assaults on my character, is it possible for you to make a post addressing my position without doing this ?

With this act you would try to insult my intelligence, it's terribly ironic.
I would ask you an earnest question, and I want you to think about seriously.

Do stupid people know that they are stupid ?

I find it's very rare, what tends to be the case is that they go around insulting others, believing that people who disagree with them or don't share their opinions are stupid. Indeed, they go around with the preconception that everybody else is the problem.

In response to your query, I never said this was some underhanded attempt to enforce Sharia, I said the wording he used was ominous and vague. I also said that it was very coincidental that a person from a group renowned for their intolerance of others has begun censoring imagery for the rest of us.

Think about your inability to dissect and comprehend my post, your reaction, to start calling me names, and ask yourself that question again. Ask yourself if this is the way an enlightened person would carry themselves in a conversation, or, is this the way an uneducated pleb would respond. Ironic, I think so anyway.
Reply 33
Ok, lets address this piece by piece then:

"Well it's not just fat people. Personally i think it's one of the only things feminists are right about. Ads like theses give a social perception of women and they are expected to conform to it"

How exactly? Because one ad tells a woman to lose weight suddenly everyone hates the woman who doesn't?

"as well as creating misogyny amongst men when a woman does not have the ideal body shape."

Again, where is your proof?

It's the picture mate. The picture depicts an idealistic image of women.

How can you quantify a qualitative statement that can only be backed up by basic intuition? But as you wish: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/local-lifestyle/young-women-girls-under-more-3209721#iI2iymlEFX6HcJZk.97
Original post by drogon
It's the picture mate. The picture depicts an idealistic image of women.

How can you quantify a qualitative statement that can only be backed up by basic intuition? But as you wish: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/local-lifestyle/young-women-girls-under-more-3209721#iI2iymlEFX6HcJZk.97

No, that's not how it works. Extraordinary claims require evidence. It is not an axiomatic statement you have made, and hence you need proof.

Hahaha that is some stupid proof. So women feeling bad suddenly means that people hate women for their weight?

Perceptions aren't reality.
Reply 35
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Name calling and assaults on my character, is it possible for you to make a post addressing my position without doing this ?

With this act you would try to insult my intelligence, it's terribly ironic.
I would ask you an earnest question, and I want you to think about seriously.

Do stupid people know that they are stupid ?

I find it's very rare, what tends to be the case is that they go around insulting others, believing that people who disagree with them or don't share their opinions are stupid. Indeed, they go around with the preconception that everybody else is the problem.

In response to your query, I never said this was some underhanded attempt to enforce Sharia, I said the wording he used was ominous and vague. I also said that it was very coincidental that a person from a group renowned for their intolerance of others has begun censoring imagery for the rest of us.

Think about your inability to dissect and comprehend my post, your reaction, to start calling me names, and ask yourself that question again. Ask yourself if this is the way an enlightened person would carry themselves in a conversation, or, is this the way an uneducated pleb would respond. Ironic, I think so anyway.

Oh cut the self righteous tone.

What a fancy way of saying "I'm prejudice towards Sadiq Khan".

As i said, there's plenty of non muslims who advocate these views anyway. So if he agrees with these views then i dont see how you can jump to the conclusion that it's religiously influenced.

Let's face it, i doubt an intelligent person would make such silly comments.
shameless authoritarianism - it's the labour way
Original post by eternalhinch
Get a grip, why must you assume everything is associated to his religion? He's trying to sort things out that loads of people complain out LIKE body shaming so give him credit where it's due and stop trying to bring religion into everything.

I don't need to try, unfortunately religion is always there, people just try to avoid talking about it.

I would think that 'most' people would want him tackling crime and other important issues, rather than to be censoring images that some (and not most) find offensive.

It is also not unfair to note that he hails from a group renowned for being intolerant of ideas and imagery, that the majority of the people from his religious background would have him spending his time championing and expanding censorship powers of the state, exactly what he is doing with this act.
Reply 38
No, that's not how it works. Extraordinary claims require evidence. It is not an axiomatic statement you have made, and hence you need proof.

Hahaha that is some stupid proof. So women feeling bad suddenly means that people hate women for their weight?

Perceptions aren't reality.

My bad, i just assumed you had some basic inference skills and some common sense. The article proves everything.
Original post by drogon
My bad, i just assumed you had some basic inference skills and some common sense. The article proves everything.

You are a self righteous madam aren't you? I read your article, all it proved was that women feel bad about themselves, and then some unfounded conjecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending