The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Which one's the answer?

I think it's B?
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Yes but that also gives OH- ions in solution. NH3 is not an acid.

Yeah I know it isn't but since I thought it's in a solution then it would dissociate and and CH3COONa would dissociate as well to give OH- ions so that's why I am confused
Untitled.png

can someone explain why C is the answer?

multiply?
Reply 843
In this question volumes are different but I still used moles to get the correct answer :s, I've been trying using moles for a lot of questions now and they give the same answer even when volume us different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
B (3,2,1)

Am I being stupid
Why is NH3 stronger base than ethanoate ion
I mean my gut feeling does tell me that it has a higher pH but I thought ammonia was a weak base but ethanoate ions were strong base (conjugate base of a weak acid is a strong base?)
Original post by _H_V
In this question volumes are different but I still used moles to get the correct answer :s, I've been trying using moles for a lot of questions now and they give the same answer even when volume us different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Volumes are different initially but when you mix to give final solution you get the same volume. Adding 20 and 30 give 50 in the end and both the moles are in 50
Original post by C0balt
Am I being stupid
Why is NH3 stronger base than ethanoate ion
I mean my gut feeling does tell me that it has a higher pH but I thought ammonia was a weak base but ethanoate ions were strong base (conjugate base of a weak acid is a strong base?)

Yeah same here!!! I am feeling really stupid like my gut feeling tells me that NH3 is definitely a stronger base but then I thought ethanoate ions are the conjucate base and that they;re stronger and also if they dissociate they would give CH3COOH while ammonia will give NH4+ (NH3 + H+) so I can't figure it out!
Yeah I know it isn't but since I thought it's in a solution then it would dissociate and and CH3COONa would dissociate as well to give OH- ions so that's why I am confused

Ohh I see what you mean. That's got me very confused!
Original post by ihaspotato
Untitled.png

can someone explain why C is the answer?

multiply?

General form for straight line is y=mx+c
y=lnrate
m=-Ea/R
x=1/T
c=constant

So you've got gradient=-Ea/R and rearranging this gives Ea=-( gradient) R
Yeah same here!!! I am feeling really stupid like my gut feeling tells me that NH3 is definitely a stronger base but then I thought ethanoate ions are the conjucate base and that they;re stronger and also if they dissociate they would give CH3COOH while ammonia will give NH4+ (NH3 + H+) so I can't figure it out!

The salt of a weak acid and strong base is slightly basic. This is because ethanoate ions react with water CH3COO- + H2O --> CH3COOH + OH-.The salt of a strong acid and weak base is slightly acidic. Again because the salt is hydrolysed NH4+ + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+.We know ammonia is a weak base so it has to have the highest pH out of the 3 as it would dissociate the most. Hence the answer is B (Copied this from my earlier post)
Reply 850
Ahhh finally okay that makes so much sense, thankss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MacroniCheese
The salt of a weak acid and strong base is slightly basic. This is because ethanoate ions react with water CH3COO- + H2O --> CH3COOH + OH-.The salt of a strong acid and weak base is slightly acidic. Again because the salt is hydrolysed NH4+ + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+.We know ammonia is a weak base so it has to have the highest pH out of the 3 as it would dissociate the most. Hence the answer is B (Copied this from my earlier post)

AH thanks!
Original post by C0balt
General form for straight line is y=mx+c
y=lnrate
m=-Ea/R
x=1/T
c=constant

So you've got gradient=-Ea/R and rearranging this gives Ea=-( gradient) R

thanks! :smile:
Original post by ihaspotato
thanks! :smile:

No probs
Reply 854
I do not understand part b at all, would be really helpful if anyone could explain it if they have time. I know its super late!
I bet you we're going to get a question like this tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb9v7NIaSoo

You heard it here first peeps!!!1onetwo!!
Original post by Dren
I do not understand part b at all, would be really helpful if anyone could explain it if they have time. I know its super late!

Okay I'm kinda of going to answer this all together instead of in the separate parts because I think it'll make more sense that way.

Basically, the job of sodium thiosulfate is to reduce any iodine formed back into iodide ions:

2S2O32- + I2 --> S4O62- + 2I-

So, the solution initially will be colourless, since the persulfate ions oxidise iodide ions to iodine, but the sodium thiosulfate reduces the iodine immediately back to iodide ions, so a black colour doesn't form straight away (which is what would happen if sodium thiosulfate wasn't used --> answer to part ii). The final colour change occurs when all of the sodium thiosulfate has reacted, so any iodine formed will no longer be reduced back down to iodide ions. Therefore, the final colour change is colourless to black (answer to part i). In relation to part iii), the iodide concentration initially remains constant due to persulfate ions oxidising iodide ions to iodine but then sodium thiosulfate reducing iodine immediately back down to iodide ions again.

Hope that makes da sense :smile:
Can anyone help?
Find the pH of the mixture formed when 25 cm3
of 2 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxide solution is
added to 50 cm3
of 2 mol dm–3 ethanoic acid, for which Ka
= 1.7 × 10–5 mol dm–3.
pH=
A 2.2
B 2.5
C 4.5
D 4.8

Thanks
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I bet you we're going to get a question like this tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb9v7NIaSoo

You heard it here first peeps!!!1onetwo!!

You are a beautiful person! I've never seen that type of calculation before, thank you so much for posting that! Would have definitely got it wrong tomorrow if it came up! 😅
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Okay I'm kinda of going to answer this all together instead of in the separate parts because I think it'll make more sense that way.

Basically, the job of sodium thiosulfate is to reduce any iodine formed back into iodide ions:

2S2O32- + I2 --> S4O62- + 2I-

So, the solution initially will be colourless, since the persulfate ions oxidise iodide ions to iodine, but the sodium thiosulfate reduces the iodine immediately back to iodide ions, so a black colour doesn't form straight away (which is what would happen if sodium thiosulfate wasn't used --> answer to part ii). The final colour change occurs when all of the sodium thiosulfate has reacted, so any iodine formed will no longer be reduced back down to iodide ions. Therefore, the final colour change is colourless to black (answer to part i). In relation to part iii), the iodide concentration initially remains constant due to persulfate ions oxidising iodide ions to iodine but then sodium thiosulfate reducing iodine immediately back down to iodide ions again.

Hope that makes da sense :smile:

Hey, there's something I don't get, how the Sodium thiosulphate is used to find the concentration of Iodine of it reduces it back continuously, like when it is used up, there would still be Iodide ions that would oxidise to Iodine (hope you understand what I mean:smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending