The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosieschofield
it's not, you're referring to raw marks which then have to be converted into ums. You always need 320 ums, and going off last year, their AS result means they need 155 ums in A2 to get an A.
What your suggesting means that the person needs only 130 ums, which wouldnt give them the required ums for an A (320).

Woah my bad. That was very ignorant of me I just had a check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 14grahamr
So for them is it just actually named research such e.g 'Bandura found that...' and not something like 'this theory says that aggression is common...'? Thank you so much!!

No problem. Such remember when it says research, they want to hear names and findings.
Reply 5582
Original post by nemanuel96
That's actually fairly inaccurate, it's a little lower. It was 62~68 ums in the A2 papers to get an A. So if you had gotten As in the AS and hit around 65 ums for both then you've got an A.

It wouldn't make sense to get all As and it being a B because it's not 320 ums in total lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you always need 320 UMS to get an A. 62-68 UMS in each paper would be around a C... If you get all As then there is no way you can get a B, you'd most defiantly get an A.
Woah my bad. That was very ignorant of me I just had a check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its cool dont worry about it :smile:
Original post by Marli-Ruth
Just did the 2015 research methods and got 20/35 -_- I give up with research methods

aw no don't give up! i have a feeling RM will be kinda nice this time, so just stick at it and i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by wickedisgood
I've never heard of it, what's it about? is it about the whole 'is psychology a science' debate?

Kind of if youve done sociology youll know how to answer i have a rough idea but im worried its going to come up as it hasnt appeared in the past papers on AQA website.
If a question for media (or any of the application questions) says 'discuss research into...' how many studies do you need? and is the evaluation just methodological mainly? i'm confused
I feel like I may have screwed myself not learning psychological explanations or treatments of depression
If a question for media (or any of the application questions) says 'discuss research into...' how many studies do you need? and is the evaluation just methodological mainly? i'm confused

Depends on the marks I guess, they say it depends on how in depth you go - since it's usually 4 and 6 you could do two studies in more detail or three or four in less detail and then evaluation
Original post by yasx_
No, you always need 320 UMS to get an A. 62-68 UMS in each paper would be around a C... If you get all As then there is no way you can get a B, you'd most defiantly get an A.

Lol I said I was wrong, damn chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Allibay
No problem. Such remember when it says research, they want to hear names and findings.

Okay!! Thank you so much!! Wishing you the best of luck for tommorow!!
How do you select statistical tests? Can someone briefly explain this please?! xx
Reply 5592
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can someone please explain to me the science and psychology stuff about kuhn and popper. I cant seem to find a question on research methods from AQA worried it will come up im sure my teacher has showed us in class cant remember?

Would appreciate anyone helping give some information and/or provide a past question on this

Is this that stuff about Karl Popper and his swans? I'm probably wrong lol but let's just say it is.. you don't really need to know about, at least I don't think. You just need to understand that in order to prove a theory, you have to seek disproof - this is called falsification. If you can't disprove the theory then it suggests it true.
Original post by adtr0706
I feel like I may have screwed myself not learning psychological explanations or treatments of depression

maybe do it now? or at least learn the very basics on the off chance it does come up.
a lot of the time gut instincts are right, and even if its not, you'll probably feel a lot better knowing that if it had been psych you would have been okay!
Reply 5594
Lol I said I was wrong, damn chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao ok.. i didn't see
maybe do it now? or at least learn the very basics on the off chance it does come up.
a lot of the time gut instincts are right, and even if its not, you'll probably feel a lot better knowing that if it had been psych you would have been okay!

Yeah I've been kinda just skimming it, hoping it doesn't come up

The two papers last year are throwing me man
Original post by yasx_
Is this that stuff about Karl Popper and his swans? I'm probably wrong lol but let's just say it is.. you don't really need to know about, at least I don't think. You just need to understand that in order to prove a theory, you have to seek disproof - this is called falsification. If you can't disprove the theory then it suggests it true.

does it always have to be something that can be disproven? and is that because it's hard/impossible to 100% prove something but if you disprove something once then it's proof its not true? feel like i vaguely remember that but just wanna check lol (also is there a word for the opposite of falsification or is that not a thing..?)
Good luck for tomorrow guys, just make sure you focus and do your best! Here's some last tips:

1) AO1: If you have no idea how to answer the question just say something really general - e.g if it's evolutionary just say evolutionary says that we want to protect our offspring, pass on our genes, and protect ourselves, and just link that in with whatever the question says! Obviously you won't get full marks but it's better than nothing! Same with social explanations e.g social says that we're influenced by those around us etc.

2) AO2: If you can't remember anything, just use methodological issues!! For example, this isn't generalisable as it's a small sample, this has low ecological validity as lots of research in this area takes part in laboratories which doesn't represent real life situations (lack of mundane realism). Remember methodological doesn't always have to be bad either, it can be good e.g this has high ecological validity as it was a field study. ALSO resort to the IDAs from Unit 3! They can always get you marks.

After tomorrow may of us won't have to do psychology again, so let's get through that (and for me I have politics as well!) and afterwards we can look forward to summer!

Best of luck guys:smile::smile:
Original post by adtr0706
Yeah I've been kinda just skimming it, hoping it doesn't come up

The two papers last year are throwing me man

Same, that's why i'm doing all of them because i can't afford to mess up because i think i'm gonna do bad on the rest of it lol
Original post by 14grahamr
Okay!! Thank you so much!! Wishing you the best of luck for tommorow!!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it ๐Ÿ˜‚ And u too!

Latest