The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Can anyone help?
Find the pH of the mixture formed when 25 cm3
of 2 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxide solution is
added to 50 cm3
of 2 mol dm–3 ethanoic acid, for which Ka
= 1.7 × 10–5 mol dm–3.
pH=
A 2.2
B 2.5
C 4.5
D 4.8

Thanks

Just to check first, is the answer D?
Original post by PlayerBB
Hey, there's something I don't get, how the Sodium thiosulphate is used to find the concentration of Iodine of it reduces it back continuously, like when it is used up, there would still be Iodide ions that would oxidise to Iodine (hope you understand what I mean:smile: )

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry :s-smilie:!
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Just to check first, is the answer D?

Yes it is.
Reply 863
Okay I'm kinda of going to answer this all together instead of in the separate parts because I think it'll make more sense that way.

Basically, the job of sodium thiosulfate is to reduce any iodine formed back into iodide ions:

2S2O32- + I2 --> S4O62- + 2I-

So, the solution initially will be colourless, since the persulfate ions oxidise iodide ions to iodine, but the sodium thiosulfate reduces the iodine immediately back to iodide ions, so a black colour doesn't form straight away (which is what would happen if sodium thiosulfate wasn't used --> answer to part ii). The final colour change occurs when all of the sodium thiosulfate has reacted, so any iodine formed will no longer be reduced back down to iodide ions. Therefore, the final colour change is colourless to black (answer to part i). In relation to part iii), the iodide concentration initially remains constant due to persulfate ions oxidising iodide ions to iodine but then sodium thiosulfate reducing iodine immediately back down to iodide ions again.

Hope that makes da sense :smile:

Thank you very much! It makes perfect sense now, I did not know I had to know Persulphate reaction.
Yes it is.

Okay well, this is a sneaky one...

First, we know Ka = [H+][CH3COO-] / [CH3COOH]

Firstly, calculating the moles of ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide shows you which one is in excess. In this case, you get 0.1 moles and 0.05 moles respectively. The ethanoic acid is therefore in excess.

You then calculate the moles of ethanoic acid left over after the reaction has occurred; 0.1 - 0.05 = 0.05 moles of ethanoic acid left over.

The number of moles of ethanoate ions formed is worked out using the number of moles of the thing that isn't in excess - in this case the sodium hydroxide. The number of moles of ethanoate ions is therefore 0.05 moles also.

Now here's the twist: in this question, the number of moles of ethanoic acid left over happens to be the same as the number of moles of ethanoate ions formed. Their concentrations will also be the same since they are in the same total volume.

Conc. of ethanoic acid will = 0.05 * 1000 / 75 = 2/3.
Conc. of ethanoate ions will = 0.05 * 1000 / 75 = 2/3.

So, subbing in the values into Ka:

Ka = [H+] * (2/3) / (2/3).

As you can see, the 2/3 cancels out on the top and bottom, leaving:

Ka = [H+]. So [H+] = 1.7x10-5.

From here, we can work out pH:

pH = -log(1.7x10-5) = 4.769.... = 4.8.

Hence, the answer is D. This question is an example of a half-equivalence point question, where the pH = the pKa value of the acid :smile: (pKa = -log(Ka)).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dren
Thank you very much! It makes perfect sense now, I did not know I had to know Persulphate reaction.

I'm glad :biggrin:!

Firstly, calculating the moles of ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide shows you which one is in excess. In this case, you get 0.1 moles and 0.05 moles respectively. The ethanoic acid is therefore in excess.

You then calculate the moles of ethanoic acid left over after the reaction has occurred; 0.1 - 0.05 = 0.05 moles of ethanoic acid left over.

The number of moles of ethanoate ions formed is worked out using the number of moles of the thing that isn't in excess - in this case the sodium hydroxide. The number of moles of ethanoate ions is therefore 0.05 moles also.

Now here's the twist: in this question, the number of moles of ethanoic acid left over happens to be the same as the number of moles of ethanoate ions formed. Their concentrations will also be the same since they are in the same total volume.

Hence, the answer is D. This question is an example of a half-equivalence point question, where the pH = the pKa value of the acid :smile: (pKa = -log(Ka)).

Thank you so much!! :smile:
@Sandy_Vega30 This video should help explain half-equivalence point if you're unsure :smile: I'm watching it right now ^_^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbFkhMFoCo
Thank you so much!! :smile:

No problem! I know it seems like a lot of work for one question but I just wanted to explain it fully ^_^
@Sandy_Vega30 This video should help explain half-equivalence point if you're unsure :smile: I'm watching it right now ^_^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbFkhMFoCo

You are a life saver!!! :smile:
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry :s-smilie:!

Like, if the sodium thiosulphate job is to reduce the iodide ions back to iodine, then when it finishes, how can we know the concentration of iodide ions that was in the reaction ?

may I ask where 75 came from?
Guys, I just don't get the mark scheme's logic here for this question...Anyone care to explain? (June 15)

Capture.JPG
Attachment not found
Original post by ihaspotato
may I ask where 75 came from?

This is the total volume of the solution (25 cm^3 of alkali + 50cm^3 of acid).
Original post by PlayerBB
Like, if the sodium thiosulphate job is to reduce the iodide ions back to iodine, then when it finishes, how can we know the concentration of iodide ions that was in the reaction ?

I'm not sure, sorry xD
I'm not sure, sorry xD

That's okay!
Help needed!

The pH of a sample of water is 7.
10cm3 of 1.0mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid is added to 990cm3 of this water.
What is the pH of the solution formed?
A 0
B 1
C 2
D 3 Correct answer is C but can anyone please provide an explanation?
Reply 877
Doesn't the sodium thiosulphate react with iodine to produce iodide ions and not the other way round?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 878
Original post by Rahatara Sadique
Help needed!

The pH of a sample of water is 7.
10cm3 of 1.0mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid is added to 990cm3 of this water.
What is the pH of the solution formed?
A 0
B 1
C 2
D 3 Correct answer is C but can anyone please provide an explanation?

The pH of the 10cm^3 HCl is 0 as -log(1)=0. adding 10 cm^3 to 990cm^3 gives a volume of 1000cm^3. this increase in volume essentially dilutes the acid conc by a factor of 2. Because the sol of HCl has been diluted by factor 2, you add 2 to the initial pH, This gives an overall pH of the 1000cm^3 HCl sol of: 2

Hope that helps!
Reply 879
Original post by _H_V
Doesn't the sodium thiosulphate react with iodine to produce iodide ions and not the other way round?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending