The Student Room Group

HELP from Medics and medical students. Or even Medical applicants??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ForestCat
There aren't really any that are 'easier' to get in to. Sure, you might only need AAA rather than A*A*A but that doesn't mean the competition is any lower. You need to apply to your strengths (i.e. if you get a good UKCAT apply to UKCAT heavy medical schools).

I think the problem people have is that you are coming across as if you haven't researched in to this at all. I suggest having a look at the wiki
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine as a starting guide and then looking on individual universities' websites for more up to date information.

Oooh, I get it.. Thanks for the advice..

LOL NO, that isn't the case. I've been trying to get my head round this 24/7 for about 3 months.. Thanks a lot though.
Reply 21
Original post by Natalierm2707
Thats a better way to say it and i get what you mean now, you means unis which have lower requirements, there are loads as most only require AAA, only a few require more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aah yes Lol.. I'm still just not sure which universities place emphasis more on UKCAT and which place more on GCSES, A Levels, work experience etc.. Is there a list or anything??

THanks so much for the help btw.
Reply 22

I was looking for something like this.
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by akash3141
What are/ were your GCSE grades (esp. in maths, eng. lang. and lit and the sciences) ...

Also, where are you applying or where are you studying??

Oxford recommends you achieve 10 A*'s minimum at GSCE. I would aim for that to be on the safe side
Reply 24
Oxford is more to do with percentage of A*s at GCSE. Instead of aiming for a set number. Just aim to do as well as you can and get as many As and A*s as possible.
Original post by mliela
Oxford is more to do with percentage of A*s at GCSE. Instead of aiming for a set number. Just aim to do as well as you can and get as many As and A*s as possible.

Oxford uses both number and % of A*s at GCSE along with the BMAT. There is a reason they reccomend 10A* because that is usually what is needed with a decent BMAT score to gain an interview there. the % does make a difference especially if you go to an under performing school but you achieved way above average, but bear in mind that they will still look at the number of A*s regardless.
Reply 26
Oxford uses both number and % of A*s at GCSE along with the BMAT. There is a reason they reccomend 10A* because that is usually what is needed with a decent BMAT score to gain an interview there. the % does make a difference especially if you go to an under performing school but you achieved way above average, but bear in mind that they will still look at the number of A*s regardless.

But you have to remember that in Oxfords calculation, if someone gets 10A*/10gcses they're scored higher than someone that gets 10A*s/12 GCSEs.
Original post by mliela
But you have to remember that in Oxfords calculation, if someone gets 10A*/10gcses they're scored higher than someone that gets 10A*s/12 GCSEs.

Yes exactly, but someone who got 11A*s with 12 gcses will be more conpetative than someone with 8A*s and 8 gcses. So its all about perspective and situation, and be aware the BMAT plays a huge role to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
3rd year Cardiff;
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As, B (extenuating circumstances)
AS - AAAA (Bio, chem, Physics, History)
A2 - A*A*AA (Bio, Chem, Physics, EPQ)
UKCAT - 650 (ish)
BMAT - 5.0, 5.0, 4A (I think... - it was a while ago)
Results: Cardiff (offer), Cambridge (interview), Brighton (rejection), Southampton (rejection)
Reply 29
Yes exactly, but someone who got 11A*s with 12 gcses will be more conpetative than someone with 8A*s and 8 gcses. So its all about perspective and situation, and be aware the BMAT plays a huge role to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe maybe not. Depends on where their cutoff is.
Original post by mliela
Maybe maybe not. Depends on where their cutoff is.

Oxford have no cut off, they explicitly say they look at every application for its own merit and there is no official cut off for number/percentage of GCSE or BMAT score. This is why the whole competitiveness of an oxford application is so confusing because its never clear cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Oxford have no cut off, they explicitly say they look at every application for its own merit and there is no official cut off for number/percentage of GCSE or BMAT score. This is why the whole competitiveness of an oxford application is so confusing because its never clear cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant. A cutoff when then say the candidate did too few GCSEs. In their calculation percentage of GCSEs st A* seems to matter more than number of GCSEs.
They will assign a cutoff each year based on their calculation. Which encompasses percentage of A*s at GCSE and BMAT score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending