The Student Room Group

Chemistry surrounding Beryllium Chloride CCEA AS1 June 2015 Question 11

"Beryllium chloride and sodium chloride are separately added to water. Describe and explain what is observed when Universal Indicator is added to each solution."

I know that the answer is NaCl: green, pH 7/neutral solution and BeCl2: red, pH 0–2/strongly acidic but I don't know why. Could anyone please explain?
Original post by atoner420
"Beryllium chloride and sodium chloride are separately added to water. Describe and explain what is observed when Universal Indicator is added to each solution."

I know that the answer is NaCl: green, pH 7/neutral solution and BeCl2: red, pH 0–2/strongly acidic but I don't know why. Could anyone please explain?

BeCl2 + 2H2O --> Be(OH)2 + 2HCl (HCl is an acid which releases H+ ions into the solution which causes it to become acidic hence the colour change in universal indicator)

NaCl is an ionic compound which is soluble in polar solvents such as water and dissolves when added to water, no change in the amount of H+ ions and water has a ph 7.
Reply 2
Original post by ruairiokane1
BeCl2 + 2H2O --> Be(OH)2 + 2HCl (HCl is an acid which releases H+ ions into the solution which causes it to become acidic hence the colour change in universal indicator)

NaCl is an ionic compound which is soluble in polar solvents such as water and dissolves when added to water, no change in the amount of H+ ions and water has a ph 7.

I get it now, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest