The Student Room Group

All-nighter? Help!

I have a super important exam tomorrow and I'm planning on staying up all night.

Ive never done this before (i constantly oversleep). However, i really need to cram for this exam. Im only staying up for 24 hours in total and tomorrow i can sleep as much as i want after my exam. Will i be harming my body a lot?

Im drinking plenty of water and keeping all the lights on as well as taking regular breaks but I've heard horror stories of people getting hallucinations, delusions etc. (BTW i know memory decreases without sleep, but this is the only way i have a chance of passing)

Will 24 hours without sleep impact me massively?
Maybe have a nap for 3 hours or so and continue studying. It wouldn't be food if you go 24hrs without sleep. :no:
noooooooooooo dont keep yourself awake for the whole night :no: i did that and ngl, it didn't work, your brain won't work well :redface:
Original post by Alina-11
I have a super important exam tomorrow and I'm planning on staying up all night.

Ive never done this before (i constantly oversleep). However, i really need to cram for this exam. Im only staying up for 24 hours in total and tomorrow i can sleep as much as i want after my exam. Will i be harming my body a lot?

Im drinking plenty of water and keeping all the lights on as well as taking regular breaks but I've heard horror stories of people getting hallucinations, delusions etc. (BTW i know memory decreases without sleep, but this is the only way i have a chance of passing)

Nothing crazy will happen after 24 hours, but after your exam just go home and sleep, you wont get anny halluncinations, thats like i think after 48 hours,
Reply 4
Original post by undercxver
Maybe have a nap for 3 hours or so and continue studying. It wouldn't be food if you go 24hrs without sleep. :no:

Original post by fatima1998
noooooooooooo dont keep yourself awake for the whole night :no: i did that and ngl, it didn't work, your brain won't work well :redface:

Pain is temporary, grades are for life :frown:
Definitely keep yourself hydrated. Good luck.

Umm I was giving advice, not saying to not pull an all nighter. But okay you do you m8. :h:

Although youve had 2 years to prepare.
You can resit.

All nighters are a bad idea.work no later than 3 and get up at 7 if you have to. You must get some sleep.

The dangers are you are less focused and alert, that means you can make big mistakes bu not reading the question properly. It cna be counter rpoductive and the gains are less than you think.
(edited 7 years ago)

nooo they are not :noway: thats what we have been told and society pressure us to get good grades but this is not the whole truth :no: my top advice is have sleep at least for 5 hours because i promise it'll worth it and you will be able to answer question :yep: x
Ideally: Don't do an all nighter, you need the sleep

Realistically: If you have a morning exam, I reckon you could cram and memorise enough to pass the exam.
If it's an afternoon exam, sleep at least 4 hours and wake up early to cram until the exam.

Best of luck! :smile:

P.S. Don't put yourself in a situation like this again xxx
Reply 10
Original post by Eternalflames
Ideally: Don't do an all nighter, you need the sleep

Realistically: If you have a morning exam, I reckon you could cram and memorise enough to pass the exam.
If it's an afternoon exam, sleep at least 4 hours and wake up early to cram until the exam.

Best of luck! :smile:

P.S. Don't put yourself in a situation like this again xxx

its a morning exam that finishes at 12 in the afternoon. Its only 24 hours and I'm sure ive done that before on flights but I'm just so worried since i always oversleep rather than not sleep. As sad as it sounds, I've never stayed up before :tongue:
Ill let you know how it goes haha xxx

To be honest it seems like you know as much as anybody else would and although I don't recomend it it seems you'd be doinng it the best way possible.

Sleep deprivation for that ammount of time won't harm your body long term and about a day without sleep usually isn't the sort of time you'd be getting delusions or anything unless there's somethig else involved like dehydration or medical conditions. As long as you take care of yourself while you're doing it and give yourself a good rest after you'll be fine.
You could still feel really crappy though (headaches etc) so just be warned.

Anyway good luck in your exam
its a morning exam that finishes at 12 in the afternoon. Its only 24 hours and I'm sure ive done that before on flights but I'm just so worried since i always oversleep rather than not sleep. As sad as it sounds, I've never stayed up before :tongue:
Ill let you know how it goes haha xxx

Bad idea, you'll learn the hard way one day young one.
How long is the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by macsalaama
Bad idea, you'll learn the hard way one day young one.
How long is the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, its 4AM and I'm going strong. Dont feel tired at all, got a cup of coffee, light music. Couldn't feel any better :wink:
Exam is 2 hours long :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest