The Student Room Group

Has anyone experienced prejudice whilst dating another race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
I'm from a sikh background but this probs applies to most Asians who will look at a Asian girl with a white guy. firstly they probs don't want women to be liberal. its only usually the girls that get judged though. my family is proper western so it don't happen in mine and my mindset is more like a Englishman than a indian. probs cuz I have been raised in a town with proper English lads and don't speak anything but basic Punjabi. after all this is England why would I want to speak other languages on these green and pleasant shores/lands.

yeeeeh boi, coconut time ! :banana:
Original post by Chakede
yeeeeh boi, coconut time ! :banana:

yep that's right
Really I've only dated my own race and now I'm back with my girlfriend from school (we're white).

Once I was talking to a girl of a different race (I won't say) and some dude (the same race as her) came round the corner and had some angry look on his face, then he walked off and I heard him in the distance saying "I will beat that guy if I see him talking to her again". Not that he ever could!
Reply 23
I find that quite surprising I must say.

Are you sure there was no other explanation? Is she much taller than you?
Original post by moggis
I find that quite surprising I must say.

Are you sure there was no other explanation? Is she much taller than you?

Nope, it was clear at the time it was because she's of his race (and talking to a white guy).
I'm from a South-East Asian country and a lot of the girls here seem to marry white guys...yeah people used to stare openly but now it's so common that nobody bothers as much. I suppose other girls stare because they're jealous...it's like a badge of honor or something. But older, already married people couldn't care less.
Original post by CityofMud
I'm from a South-East Asian country and a lot of the girls here seem to marry white guys...yeah people used to stare openly but now it's so common that nobody bothers as much. I suppose other girls stare because they're jealous...it's like a badge of honor or something. But older, already married people couldn't care less.

Why would they be jealous? I am really not that attractive?
Yeah. Whenever me and my ex held hands and walked around my school area (which is full of old Asian ladies whose idea of fashion is wearing saris and trainers together), some of the old Asian people used to give us the dirtiest looks.

And when we kissed once an old guy actually stopped and glared at us for a good minute :colonhash:
Reply 28
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah. Whenever me and my ex held hands and walked around my school area (which is full of old Asian ladies whose idea of fashion is wearing saris and trainers together), some of the old Asian people used to give us the dirtiest looks.

And when we kissed once an old guy actually stopped and glared at us for a good minute :colonhash:

I ain't afraid of no desi grandmas
Original post by RobML
I ain't afraid of no desi grandmas

Smoooooth.
Reply 30
Smoooooth.

Don't flatter yourself, I'm not talking about you :wink:
Original post by RobML
Don't flatter yourself, I'm not talking about you :wink:

Where did I say that it was about me?
Reply 32
Where did I say that it was about me?

I was thinking you were interpreting my comment as me not caring if people were to judge us being together... :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
It's just jealousy , hate and ignorance put into one pot AngryRedhead, don't let the views of others change who you are and who you wish to be with. You can only control your behaviour not the behaviour of others.
Only the father of the person I was dating once. Didn't like I was mixed heritage [White and South Asian] and would make racist comments at me, I'd retaliate and so would my partner & his family. He was just a old bastard. Nobody liked him.
Still plenty of racism and prejudice about, its just more subtle.
Original post by 999tigger
Still plenty of racism and prejudice about, its just more subtle.

I was shocked tbh, I thought racism had all but gone in the UK
When people are different, then it builds up a lot of fear, dislike and intolerance. Bit depressing. All you cna do is not be like that yourself and stand up to it if you get the chance.
Lol I'm white and my girlfriend is Pakistani from a muslim family. Y'all ain't seen nothing.
Im engaged to a muslim and she notices weird looks from people. Although I dont pay attention to it, as when I was younger I was used to getting weird looks for having long hair, but it still bothers me as I can see sometimes it gets to her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending