The Student Room Group

Army fitness test

Hi.
I need to be able to run a 1.5miles in 14mins within a month. I’ve never really ran or done any cardio but I’ve been working out consistently with weights for the last 4 years or so. I tried running today after my gym session and managed about a mile in 15mins, which is terrible. I plan to try again before gym this time tomorrow. Is my goal realistic in the time frame I’ve provided? What can I do for optimal results?

Thanks.
Original post by Envee
Hi.
I need to be able to run a 1.5miles in 14mins within a month. I’ve never really ran or done any cardio but I’ve been working out consistently with weights for the last 4 years or so. I tried running today after my gym session and managed about a mile in 15mins, which is terrible. I plan to try again before gym this time tomorrow. Is my goal realistic in the time frame I’ve provided? What can I do for optimal results?

Thanks.

I ran a 13min 1.5mile when i did selection last year which is slow as balls. I went to Winchester for basic and struggled with the phys. I left but it was because of my gf at the time. I'd say you want to run sub 12mins before getting in imo and thats still considered quite slow. Think we had a few 8 minuters in my troop which is insane. I'm currently training again because I want to give the reserves a crack while I'm at uni and I'm not even going to darken their doors until I'm running under 12mins.

Edited to add that fartlek/interval training is apparently the way to go to drop your time right down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by pointblank91

Edited to add that fartlek/interval training is apparently the way to go to drop your time right down.

This.

And doing it outdoors.

I started in the mid 13s, but a combination of HIIT and adrenaline on the day helped to a 9.05.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I started 8-10 weeks ago with a 1.5 run time of 15 mins. I'm now around 10.30 mins and aiming for 10 mins for my selection in july.
It can be done, but you need to run at least 3 times a week pushing yourself to the limit.
Get outside and start running
10.30 is the minimum for males under 30 years. anything sub 9.30 is considered good and is also the min standard for most spec regiments like para or commando
I want to apply for a scholarship to Sandhurst at the beginning of September (when I enter Year 12). It's an extremely unrealistic goal at the moment as I really need to improve my fitness and build up some muscle. Do you know when the fitness tests are? I think they are in July each year, but is this the same for those applying for scholarships through university?

Thanks,
Banana :h::h:

EDIT: I don't know my time for 1.5 miles, but my time for 1 mile is about 10 minutes. How can I get my time for 1.5 miles to about 10 minutes in a short space of time? Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
hill sprints and 2 mile best effort runs. When you do the 1.5 it feels easier. sort of.. no it still sucks
Original post by Smith1star
hill sprints and 2 mile best effort runs. When you do the 1.5 it feels easier. sort of.. no it still sucks

Thanks - I'll get started on Saturday when my exams will be over! :tongue:
:h::h:
Reply 8
Original post by Envee
Hi.

Thanks.

I was joining but unable to for three years now. Best advice is to do interval training and hill sprints every other day and go for endurance runs. To get you best prepared do 1.5 mile run twice a week but before you time your self do a 800m warm up because that is what youll do on selection.
Reply 9
I also recommend doing 3+ mile runs to mix it up which will also make 1.5 miles a breeze

Quick Reply

Latest