The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Advantage - can melt/burn the waste, produce heat energy to generate electricity.
Disadvantage - releases toxic gases.
The other two main ones would be recycling and landfill.
GOOD LUCK guys!!!
Reply 502
Original post by cutelady
I AM GOING TO FAIL!!
Basically I am good with everything apart from when they ask you to deduce a structure of an isomer with the molecular formula "C6H12O2" i take too long on the questions, and I always end up getting them wrong! Does anyone have a quick method of working these out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly the same with me :frown:
Reply 503
Why does water only very slightly dissociate?
Reply 504
can someone help me with )#

2cii_ jan 2010

Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when 10.00 cm3 of0.100 mol dm–3 potassium hydroxide are added to 25.00 cm3 of 0.410 mol dm–3ethanoic acid

i worked out the moles and and the numbers of mols after the XS etc divided each by the total volume and that came out as being wrong. Why is it that you dont divide by the total volume?
can someone please explain june 11 2ci and 2cii i think they were the two buffer questions dont make sense to me thanks :smile:
image.pngGuys how do you draw R2CH2 and R3CH? I've never understood how to draw them.
Original post by man i
can someone help me with )#

2cii_ jan 2010

Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when 10.00 cm3 of0.100 mol dm–3 potassium hydroxide are added to 25.00 cm3 of 0.410 mol dm–3ethanoic acid

i worked out the moles and and the numbers of mols after the XS etc divided each by the total volume and that came out as being wrong. Why is it that you dont divide by the total volume?

even though its a buffer you look at the reactants its a weak acid with a strong base, determine which is in excess and decide what to do; if excess acid its a slightly longer method than if the base was in excess
Reply 508
Original post by Sniperdon227
even though its a buffer you look at the reactants its a weak acid with a strong base, determine which is in excess and decide what to do; if excess acid its a slightly longer method than if the base was in excess

i just looked at what i done and i misread what my numbers,due to my writing not being neat so placed the wrong numbers in so yeah i get what i done wrong thanks by the way.
Original post by heyitskim
image.pngGuys how do you draw R2CH2 and R3CH? I've never understood how to draw them.

So for R2CH2 - the R means any other group however the most important thing is to look at the splitting pattern - if had has a triplet - it must be attacthed so a CH2 so it will become RCH2CH2
Reply 510
Let's see how this exam goes with a sleep deprivation headache from 4 hrs sleep (exam stress stops me sleeping) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When the concentrations of A and B were both doubled, the initial rate increased by afactor of 4. Deduce the overall order of the reaction.

HELP PLEASE
Original post by Lilly1234567890
When the concentrations of A and B were both doubled, the initial rate increased by afactor of 4. Deduce the overall order of the reaction.

HELP PLEASE

is it the overall order2?
in amino acids like H2N-c-cooh and the other groups does it have ionic bonding or is it only when a zwitterion it has ionic???
In what circumstances do you divide them both by the total volume, or the excess by total volume?
Reply 515
yeah i sort of messed up the equation because of my bad set up, i got the salt etc and done molex1000/v to get conc for both the left over solution and salt and then messed up my number by using 9.25x10-3 rather than my worked out concentration. so i shouldve got it right either way.

just another question i wanted to ask for KC if the volume of the container increases say 1.5dm3 to 3.0dm3 it does not effect the kc does it or the conc right or does it effect the conc only. im really confused on these for some reason
What do you do if OH is in excess when you add a base to a weak acid??
Reply 517
Original post by meerkatinhiding
What do you do if OH is in excess when you add a base to a weak acid??

I assume the Kw of the base should be given so that you solve the question? correct me if im wrong
Thanks!
wudnt u jus work out xs OH- divide by total volume... then divide it by Kw to find [h+]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending