The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Criminal Law 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GFEFC1
Why?! It's possibly the nicest topic after AR I think

It's mind-numbingly boring. I'm still waiting until my two exams on Wednesday are over so I can get back to memorising cases and the points of law!
Reply 181
Original post by null.and.void.
It's mind-numbingly boring. I'm still waiting until my two exams on Wednesday are over so I can get back to memorising cases and the points of law!

yeah me too, i haven't looked at law for a good week now. Got some exams tomorrow then the rest aren't until next week so gonna start law tomorrow night.
Original post by GFEFC1
yeah me too, i haven't looked at law for a good week now. Got some exams tomorrow then the rest aren't until next week so gonna start law tomorrow night.

Honestly can't wait until it's over - I'm so tired. I'm hoping to see everyone back on here on results day to discuss their grade!

Really it's all just a game of memory. As long as you remember the basic points of law and have your eight cases for each topic (which is a lot, tbh) AND know exactly how to structure your answers, you're good to go!

Are you looking at studying Law in university?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 183
Honestly can't wait until it's over - I'm so tired. I'm hoping to see everyone back on here on results day to discuss their grade!

Really it's all just a game of memory. As long as you remember the basic points of law and have your eight cases for each topic (which is a lot, tbh) AND know exactly how to structure your answers, you're good to go!

Are you looking at studying Law in university?

yeah it really is just a memory test! The structure is key and thats the thing i struggle on most haha.

And yeah hopefully! (I don't know why though aha) are you?
Just wondering, Is there any difference between section B and section C except the marks?
Original post by Naahxx
hey i need help, ive left it a week to revise for my criminal paper and ive totally forgot the layout of the paper as im not in college any more im just doing it as an external student. I know you have to answer 2 50 mark questions and another which has less marks. But i really dont know what youre meant to include is it 8 cases and how do you start and finish the essays? Also needs a lot of help with part C question as my teachers never taught us it properly last year and the layout of it.

Many thanks.

Look at mark schemes! & to shorten the process don't bother remembering dates of cases (Only Acts)
Original post by Morgan_123
Just wondering, Is there any difference between section B and section C except the marks?

Not much since they're both basically the application of the law. The only difference is that in section B you need to go into detail about AO1, whereas in section C you just need to briefly outline what is required to be guilty/not guilty of the particular offence.

Original post by GFEFC1
yeah it really is just a memory test! The structure is key and thats the thing i struggle on most haha.

And yeah hopefully! (I don't know why though aha) are you?

Yep! If I even get the grades... if not, I'll probably try and get into Economics/Computer Science.
Not much since they're both basically the application of the law. The only difference is that in section B you need to go into detail about AO1, whereas in section C you just need to briefly outline what is required to be guilty/not guilty of the particular offence.

Yep! If I even get the grades... if not, I'll probably try and get into Economics/Computer Science.

Okay great thanks!
Hi guys I know its the second exam but I was just going over the consent stuff for the special study paper and I was just wondering how you guys were taught to do your case digests.

We were told to do:
Facts of the case
Critical point
Analytical point x2
Link case

I was just wondering what people did for their critical/analytical points because I'm finding them quite hard to distinguish and was wondering exactly what was meant by them?

Thank you!
Original post by xabsx
My law teacher said these were likely to come up on Section A:

Basic: Mens Rea (advised not to do it) or Attempts
Offence: Non-fatal or Theft
Defense: Intoxication as hasn't been on for 7 past exams (since 2011 Jan)
:biggrin:

Thanks! Just wondering, why were you advised not to do Mens rea?
Also guys my predictions for section A are:

- Involuntary Manslaughter
- Causation/intention
- Intoxication
Reply 191
Also guys my predictions for section A are:

- Involuntary Manslaughter
- Causation/intention
- Intoxication

I'd only answer causation or intention haha
Reply 192
Thanks! Just wondering, why were you advised not to do Mens rea?

my law teacher said that its a tricky question and after teaching law at 3 colleges found that students who picked that question for Section A tend to do bad on it which then affects their overall grade
Reply 193
Original post by xabsx
my law teacher said that its a tricky question and after teaching law at 3 colleges found that students who picked that question for Section A tend to do bad on it which then affects their overall grade

I always thought it was one of the best to answer as there is so much you an put down and therefore gain lots of A01! It seems pretty easy to criticise for A02 as well.
For the section A questions how have you guys been taught to do your answers?
We have always been taught to integrate AO1 and AO2 so your paragraphs will be relating to the issue as opposed to the law and you weave the law in to it. So for example on an essay I did about insanity and automatism my paragraphs were:
legal vs medical definition
Including certain illnesses such as diabetes/sleepwalking as 'insanity'
Overlap between insanity and automatism
Reform
(I got nearly full marks for this essay)
I then put specific law points within those paragraphs. I'm just a bit worried because all the sample essays I've read online tend to separate the AO1 and AO2 so will have 2 paragraphs explaining the law then 2 talking about issues.
Which is the correct way to do it or is it up to you how you chose to answer it?
Reply 195
Original post by HannahMontana10
For the section A questions how have you guys been taught to do your answers?
We have always been taught to integrate AO1 and AO2 so your paragraphs will be relating to the issue as opposed to the law and you weave the law in to it. So for example on an essay I did about insanity and automatism my paragraphs were:
legal vs medical definition
Including certain illnesses such as diabetes/sleepwalking as 'insanity'
Overlap between insanity and automatism
Reform
(I got nearly full marks for this essay)
I then put specific law points within those paragraphs. I'm just a bit worried because all the sample essays I've read online tend to separate the AO1 and AO2 so will have 2 paragraphs explaining the law then 2 talking about issues.
Which is the correct way to do it or is it up to you how you chose to answer it?

I have always been told to include AO2 throughout the answer, usually after my AO1 point. I used to follow the mark scheme's way of leaving AO2 till the end however my teacher said it does not flow as well.
Reply 196
Does anyone have any essays they have done (typed or written) that i could look at just so I can gauge where I'm at? (I struggle with AO2)
Reply 197
Is this AO1 or AO2 Points? (when answering a question on causation)

White was convicted of attempted murder and not the complete offence murder as he was not the factual cause of his mothers death. Factual causation applies the but for test and therefore the victim in this case would have died even without the defendants actions.
Reply 198
Original post by GFEFC1
Is this AO1 or AO2 Points? (when answering a question on causation)

White was convicted of attempted murder and not the complete offence murder as he was not the factual cause of his mothers death. Factual causation applies the but for test and therefore the victim in this case would have died even without the defendants actions.

A01 for mentioning the case and explaining.
A02 for analysing the key factors of why the but for test stopped white from getting convicted of murder...
Reply 199
Original post by kaz786
A01 for mentioning the case and explaining.
A02 for analysing the key factors of why the but for test stopped white from getting convicted of murder...

Cheers, how likely is mens rea to come up on section A?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending