Hello,

I hope to achieve:
A* -Chemistry
A* - Physics
A - Biology
A- Maths
A* English Lit
A - Lang

Can I still do medicine, for a university like Birmingham?
Perfect.
Original post by Oblivion99
Hello,

I hope to achieve:
A* -Chemistry
A* - Physics
A - Biology
A- Maths
A* English Lit
A - Lang

Can I still do medicine, for a university like Birmingham?

Hello!

There are a breadth of factors to consider when applying for med school with GCSEs being one of them so no one can 100% say if you would get in. The UKCAT/ BMAT/ Personal statement and A levels will also be factors to determine if you get in.

However, if we exclude all other factors then your GCSEs are good just perhaps not for a GCSE heavy university such as Birmingham. Their admissions process favours those with a higher number of A*s such as 8A*+ and you wouldn't meet the requirement. But, you should meet the minimum entry requirements for universities that do not place a heavy emphasis on it (some require A/ A*s in the sciences, English and maths which you've got) or discard it once you've met the minimum such as Keele.

When the time comes you'll have a better idea of your strengths in your application and which schools would favour your application.

Kind Regards,

Mel
WAMSoc
You would be able to medicine, I'm not sure the standards of birmingham but you would be able to somewhere for sure. I want to do medicine too, I am targeted 8A* and 4A's- but I do feel like I might have some Bs in my gcse's from how some of them went. fingers crossed
Reply 4
Original post by jazz_xox_
You would be able to medicine, I'm not sure the standards of birmingham but you would be able to somewhere for sure. I want to do medicine too, I am targeted 8A* and 4A's- but I do feel like I might have some Bs in my gcse's from how some of them went. fingers crossed

I really want to go Birmingham Uni, but I've flopped Maths, Bio & Eng Lang :frown:
Original post by Oblivion99
I really want to go Birmingham Uni, but I've flopped Maths, Bio & Eng Lang :frown:

It's a hard truth that some people may have to "sacrifice" the university they want for the course (medicine) they want just because it wouldn't make sense strategically to apply for a school where they may get an instant rejection.

But, the great thing about medicine is you should have a great time wherever you end up going. You'll end up with the same degree and should be a caring and competent doctor regardless.

Good luck on results!

Mel
WAMSoc
Would these be good enough for dentistry at somewhere like manchester or kings?
Maths-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Business-A*
Computing-A*
History-B
English lang-B
English Lit-B
Spanish-C
RE-A
Reply 7
Original post by NextGenRemix
Would these be good enough for dentistry at somewhere like manchester or kings?
Maths-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Business-A*
Computing-A*
History-B
English lang-B
English Lit-B
Spanish-C
RE-A

Er, hell yes. My cousin got lower than you and is doing Dentistry there.
Reply 8
Original post by WAMSocSOTON
It's a hard truth that some people may have to "sacrifice" the university they want for the course (medicine) they want just because it wouldn't make sense strategically to apply for a school where they may get an instant rejection.

But, the great thing about medicine is you should have a great time wherever you end up going. You'll end up with the same degree and should be a caring and competent doctor regardless.

Good luck on results!

Mel
WAMSoc

Hello,

Thank you for the response. It means a lot to me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest