The Student Room Group

Aqa maths unit 3 higher tier Official Discussion

AQA maths unit 3 was a bloody joke.

I can't even make a fricking mark scheme coz it was that bad ._.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let's just use this time to have a guess at what the answers were because I'm lost for words.

I guarantee it shall be 50 or less for an A.
Then this year they decide to f**king bring Graphs of Circular functions and Transformations (which I luckily revised for).

Bye Bye A* Grade. I'm going back to A :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey Bullet, did the same exam. Yeah my A* grade is thrown out the window. Did edexcel last year got a B. So tried Aqa for an A/A* but know I'm having doubts. Both unit 1 and 2 went really well but now this is going to drag me down
My predictions

Unit 1 reckon low A*

Unit 2 reckon A+

Unit 3 B+/A-

No A* then.

A*+A+B/A- High A
(edited 7 years ago)
I flopped so badly, bye bye to my thought of choosing maths for a-level
Original post by ssoliman00
I flopped so badly, bye bye to my thought of choosing maths for a-level

I understand, bringing stupid questions that never came on previous papers. If you got an A on unit 1, A on 2 and a B on this one. I bet you'd get an low A. Good luck
I know for sure that i either got a low B/high C for unit 2 and 3, that exam was complete crap.. It was so unfair how they gave us all the hard stuff that never came up in the older past papers. Last years exam was a complete breeze next to this one. - Do you know if the next years retakes will be done with the old/new spec because if i get a c or b i would really want to retake it??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ssoliman00
I know for sure that i either got a low B/high C for unit 2 and 3, that exam was complete crap.. It was so unfair how they gave us all the hard stuff that never came up in the older past papers. Last years exam was a complete breeze next to this one.

Hopefully, the grad boundaries will drop a bit considering that this one was a mild surprise compared to other papers :frown:. Your Six form or college should accept students with a grade B who are motivated. Or consider retaking in november while you can before the curriculum changes. Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by MathsExamUnit3
Hopefully, the grad boundaries will drop a bit considering that this one was a mild surprise compared to other papers :frown:. Your Six form or college should accept students with a grade B who are motivated. Or consider retaking in november while you can before the curriculum changes. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I shall get a B. Because I feel as if I got an A in Unit 1, a Strong A* in unit 2. But Unit 3 either an A/B or if the grade boundaries drop a bit, an A*.
Reply 8
Hey Bullet, did the same exam. Yeah my A* grade is thrown out the window. Did edexcel last year got a B. So tried Aqa for an A/A* but know I'm having doubts. Both unit 1 and 2 went really well but now this is going to drag me down
My predictions

Unit 1 reckon low A*

Unit 2 reckon A+

Unit 3 B+/A-

No A* then.

A*+A+B/A- High A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, mine is like yours but I feel as if I got an A* for Unit 2 rather than unit 1.
Reply 9
It wasn't too bad at all. Some questions were challenging but nothing I felt I didn't get through in the end.
Original post by M451
It wasn't too bad at all. Some questions were challenging but nothing I felt I didn't get through in the end.

What grade are you hoping for?
Reply 11
What grade are you hoping for?

Predicted A*.

Oh and nice name :colone:
Original post by M451
Predicted A*.

Oh and nice name :colone:

Yeah, I'm sure I got an A+ but unless boundaries drop or sheer chance I'll get an A*

My predictions:

Unit 1: A*+

Unit 2: A+

Unit 3: B+/A-

So if that's an A* I'm happy. But I know It's an A, just hoping for an A* :frown:
Gee, Give us an official mark scheme :/
Reply 14
Yeah, I'm sure I got an A+ but unless boundaries drop or sheer chance I'll get an A*

My predictions:

Unit 1: A*+

Unit 2: A+

Unit 3: B+/A-

So if that's an A* I'm happy. But I know It's an A, just hoping for an A* :frown:

Do you mean the same thing by A* and A+? I didn't know we had A+ :s
Reply 15
Original post by Bulletzone
Gee, Give us an official mark scheme :/

I can remember some stuff very vaguely:

- 5 litre jug was better value

- Angle was 103 degrees

- X = 5.1 for a quadratic where you had to eliminate the negative solution

- R=2 for the sphere and cone question

There was a 153 somewhere in there as well
Original post by M451
Do you mean the same thing by A* and A+? I didn't know we had A+ :s

For example:

A*-
A*
A*+

All are the same grade, but in regards to finding out your grade knowing if you got a high A or A* helps.

Yours GCSE's will only show A, A*.... not the plus or minus
Original post by M451

- Angle was 103 degrees

I can't even remember what I put anymore for the A/A* questions I know vaguely but If I see the paper again I'll know for sure. Kinda sucks how Edexcel have their papers released by other people and AQA doesn't just the power of remembering what you wrote.

If someone can remember the harder questions please write them here so we can give our solutions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I can't even remember what I put anymore for the A/A* questions I know vaguely but If I see the paper again I'll know for sure. Kinda sucks how Edexcel have their papers released by other people and AQA doesn't just the power of remembering what you wrote.

And this is why I'm becoming increasingly wary of unofficial mark schemes :/

For example:

A*-
A*
A*+

All are the same grade, but in regards to finding out your grade knowing if you got a high A or A* helps.

Yours GCSE's will only show A, A*.... not the plus or minus

I understand now, thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Usually I try to use UMS to predict an overall grade but it's obviously difficult for maths with three exam papers and no coursework.
Original post by M451

- Angle was 103 degrees

r was 4 for the cone question I think.

The circular graph questions was okay, because I revised last minute for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending