The Student Room Group

Owen Jones embarrasses himself on Sky News debate about Orlando

Acting like a petulant child

[video="youtube;TEgd9q8ugs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgd9q8ugs4[/video]

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

He didn't 'embarrass himself' he stood up for what he believed in and said what every member of the LGBT community was thinking.
I thought he sent a very strong message by walking out. Yes, at times he sounded rather emotional but I don't blame him. Everything he said was correct.
Original post by epage
He didn't 'embarrass himself' he stood up for what he believed in and said what every member of the LGBT community was thinking.

You don't speak for everybody.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You don't speak for everybody.

Okay, most members then.
Reply 5
Hartley-brewer embarrassed herself for suggesting that her being a gobby woman makes her edgy
nah he did a good job
Spoilt posh kid
Shouldn't you be more concerned about how unprofessional the other two hosts were?
I wouldn't have heard of it and we wouldn't be talking about it here if he hadn't.
Two days late....

But I agree & made my views clear in the Orlando thread.

Idiotic overreaction just because he's gay so how can a non gay even comprehend an attack. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, I could feel his frustration. The host denying that it was a deliberate hate crime against LGBT people is absolutely absurd, and to make things worse, he said it's an "attack on all of us". Absolute idiot :rolleyes:
And we're surprised why?
Good on him. He was right. He said "If he’d [Mateen] walked into a synagogue and massacred dozens of Jewish people, you wouldn’t be saying what you’re saying now. You would be talking about it as an anti-semitic attack. This was a deliberate attack on LGBT people." That's pretty accurate.

Why the **** were sky news tiptoeing around the fact that it was a homophobic terrorist attack? The killer didn't just happen to stumble into a gay club and kill 50 LGBT people. It doesn't matter that the man behind it had an Islamic background. Not only did Sky news try and silence the obvious homophobic motives, but they also could not get over the fact that the man behind the attack had a certain background and was of a certain geographical origin. Absolute disgrace.
(edited 7 years ago)
The sky news reporter was being a right dick it's not as though just saying yeah you're right it's both an LGBT attack and a terrorist attack would have negated the fact that most of every other community is under the threat of terrorist attacks at the moment. Felt sorry for Owen :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd have walked off as well. The ignorance of the two presenters is rather shocking - 8 minutes of Owen attempting to point out why it was blatantly a homophobic attack, yet the presenters are probably just "doing their jobs" and sticking to their script regardless of what they're presented with. Classic "journalism", seenthis type of interview so many times about many different topics - think he realised he was wasting his time and as a gay person himself found their ignorance offensive.
(edited 7 years ago)
He should have not gone on the show
Reply 17
I agree that it should be recognised as the homophobic attack that it was, and he is therefore right in a sense, but it's not like there is nothing else to discuss. However the presenters weren't exactly that professional and I don't think Owen's behaviour is particularly embarrassing
Reply 18
Where can you complain about the hosts?

I mean the first thing that happened was that he was exaplaining it was a hate crime against gays, and the male moderator was like "it's something that's carried out against human beings, no matter...(fairly safe to assume he was going to say something along the lines of no matter their sexuality)" then he went on to say "you can't say it's worse than what happened in France" - again, complete lie. Owen never said that. What the moderator assumed was that because Owen was explaining it is a hate crime, that Owen thinks that makes it worse. Which shows the prejudice on the part of the moderator.

And from there the two moderators just got worse and worse. Sky should fire them.
The woman wasn't a moderator. She was a pundit like Owen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending