The Student Room Group

If you don't leave the EU you're weak

Scroll to see replies

The debate has nothing to do with being typically English or weak. It took me some time to come to a full decision on Brexit. A day may come when we will be better off without the EU but I don't think that day is June 23rd.
This problem with this entire debate is that it has been focused on immigration. How many of us Brits enjoy a retirement home in Spain? Free movement is a difficult thing to deal with. We are a selfish nation. We want to have our cheap holidays to Greece and our house in the Algarve but God forbid someone comes to our country to work for our NHS.
I love this country. But sometimes, we really come across as lazy, racists. Maybe racist is too strong a word - but we are definitely prejudice. People from Europe work for us, pay taxes and learn our language. Having a multi-national, multi-cultural Britain is the modern world. Why move backwards?

Immigration has an intense strain on this country. The housing crisis for instance - I live in London, getting on the housing ladder here is near impossible for young people. There are other ways of solving this rather than leaving the EU. For example, build more houses. This is happening which is wonderful. However, the houses that are being built are incredibly unaffordable. I see adverts every day in the Evening Standard about new housing blocks that are being build however nine times out of ten, they are luxury apartments; out of reach for many Brits. Build affordable housing.

I was on the fence for sometime about this debate, and a lot of research has lead to me come to a decision. There are strong arguments in both the leave and remain campaigns. I don't think the scare mongering used at last years election was the best way to move forward. So many people are disillusioned to all the issues that actually surround this debate.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Quite frankly.

Weak, weak-minded, impressionable.

Did you just describe the average moron voting Brexit cuz muh immigrants, muh sovereignty?

Seems a good description bro, well done.
Original post by inhuman
Did you just describe the average moron voting Brexit cuz muh immigrants, muh sovereignty?

Seems a good description bro, well done.

You're clearly retarded if you don't understand what sovereignty actually means.

I want my sovereignty to the more democratically-elected officials in the UK; not Brussels.
You're clearly retarded if you don't understand what sovereignty actually means.

I want my sovereignty to the more democratically-elected officials in the UK; not Brussels.

Oh I understand what it means.

I just don't have a problem that some decisions are made in Brussels :wink:

But hey, keep insulting me, you sound so convincing to vote Leave.
Original post by inhuman

"some"?

It determines all our trade deals.
It has a supreme Court of Justice does it not?
It determines certain taxes (ONTTE.)

"keep insulting me"

You in other words called me a moron.
Hypocritical no?
Original post by amyvictoriaaa
The debate has nothing to do with being typically English or weak. It took me some time to come to a full decision on Brexit. A day may come when we will be better off without the EU but I don't think that day is June 23rd.
This problem with this entire debate is that it has been focused on immigration. How many of us Brits enjoy a retirement home in Spain? Free movement is a difficult thing to deal with. We are a selfish nation. We want to have our cheap holidays to Greece and our house in the Algarve but God forbid someone comes to our country to work for our NHS.
I love this country. But sometimes, we really come across as lazy, racists. Maybe racist is too strong a word - but we are definitely prejudice. People from Europe work for us, pay taxes and learn our language. Having a multi-national, multi-cultural Britain is the modern world. Why move backwards?

Immigration has an intense strain on this country. The housing crisis for instance - I live in London, getting on the housing ladder here is near impossible for young people. There are other ways of solving this rather than leaving the EU. For example, build more houses. This is happening which is wonderful. However, the houses that are being built are incredibly unaffordable. I see adverts every day in the Evening Standard about new housing blocks that are being build however nine times out of ten, they are luxury apartments; out of reach for many Brits. Build affordable housing.

I was on the fence for sometime about this debate, and a lot of research has lead to me come to a decision. There are strong arguments in both the leave and remain campaigns. I don't think the scare mongering used at last years election was the best way to move forward. So many people are disillusioned to all the issues that actually surround this debate.

Good clear points here. Immigration isn't the only reason. Although being racist =/= wanting to leave the EU, at least in my view. Even with controlled borders, we still need immigration, and without the EU we can open up the pool of workers to everyone, rather than discriminate based on nationality.

That said, I believe your first point about "a day may come when we will be better off without the EU" isn't the best when it comes to making a final decision. It took enough pressure to get Cameron to even agree to an EU referendum in the first place. It's incredibly unlikely there will be another, given the EU's increasing power over the UK and the fact we'll soon be so tightly bound up in European legislation we won't be able to leave without completely destabilising everything.

So I beg to differ and say leave. But we can't predict what's going to happen either way, and I don't think either outcome is particularly desirable.
Reply 126
Leaving the EU is the wrong decision as said by Wolfgang Schauble and Christine Lagarde. I trust the two above far more than the faux intellectuals running the Vote Leave campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"some"?

It determines all our trade deals.
It has a supreme Court of Justice does it not?
It determines certain taxes (ONTTE.)

"keep insulting me"

You in other words called me a moron.
Hypocritical no?

I was going to reply but half way through realized you will just again answer with ridiculous made up things, twisting words, ignoring what I wrote. So I will leave it. In the end I know what I think of selfish, racist, nationalists like you.
Original post by Big white
And if it's worse?

Change doesn't mean better

For example, the catering at my school was absolute **** and we all decided that we needed a change and we wanted something better and we had a look at a few catering companies who offered to take over for the current ones and we chose one which LOOKED GOOD, initially they were amazing and the food was brilliant, 3 weeks later, it's all turned to **** and it's even worse than before. Even the previous caterers had ****ing variety this company decided to go for ****ing curry all the time

I hear you on that, I used to work at a properly posh and well-off private school. The catering contractor provided food that was a million times better than at most schools but they were majorly bureaucratic and the charges they passed on to departments were a major rip-off and only kept on going up while service levels were reduced.

So we complained and moaned and they were the butt of jokes amongst staff and eventually they tendered for a new catering contractor who turned up and provided great food and service for about 3 weeks but after that it declined massively and we ended up with less choice and service for the same, if not a greater cost!
Reply 129
Original post by inhuman

Literally German, you don't get a vote so he doesn't have to try and convince you.

I use German loosely though, you're simply a traitor to Europe like the rest of the remain voters.
Original post by EuanF
Literally German, you don't get a vote so he doesn't have to try and convince you.

I use German loosely though, you're simply a traitor to Europe like the rest of the remain voters.

Lol'd.

Get lost Euan. Your posts are boring.

ps I never said convincing to me, personally, I said it in general. His, and yours for that matter, posts just sound like bitter, nationalistic little people crying for attention and more power.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by EuanF

He's not a traitor, you are a traitor along with the rest of leave voters who are retarded enough to believe leaving the EU would make us better off.

1st: Economic recession
Negative multiplier effect
Mass unemployment
Fall in national income
Decreased consumption
Decreased aggregate demand
Further negative economic growth (Recession)

2nd: Increased costs of goods due to EU tariffs
Decreased household RDI
Decreased consumption meaning less AD and further negative economic growth (Recession)

3rd: Decrease in house prices in the UK
Decreased consumer confidence due to lower household wealth
Decrease in consumption
Decrease in aggregate demand
Negative economic growth (Recession)

4th: Decreased foreign direct investment
Decreased AD

If we choose to leave the EU it would be the single biggest **** up in British history. Don't trust the retards and xenophobes like the guy I just quoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Original post by Nurne
He's not a traitor, you are a traitor along with the rest of leave voters who are retarded enough to believe leaving the EU would make us better off.

1st: Economic recession
Negative multiplier effect
Mass unemployment
Fall in national income
Decreased consumption
Decreased aggregate demand
Further negative economic growth (Recession)

2nd: Increased costs of goods due to EU tariffs
Decreased household RDI
Decreased consumption meaning less AD and further negative economic growth (Recession)

3rd: Decrease in house prices in the UK
Decreased consumer confidence due to lower household wealth
Decrease in consumption
Decrease in aggregate demand

4th: Decreased foreign direct investment
Decreased AD

If we choose to leave the EU it would be the single biggest **** up in British history. Don't trust the retards and xenophobes like the guy I just quoted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By "single biggest **** up" do you mean "smallest recession on record", as predicted by the Treasury?
Original post by inhuman
I was going to reply but half way through realized you will just again answer with ridiculous made up things, twisting words, ignoring what I wrote. So I will leave it. In the end I know what I think of selfish, racist, nationalists like you.

selfish? I'm trying to protect the democracy we currently have for our current population and future generations!

How da *** am I racist? I haven't even brought up the immigrant argument (which is usually the premise for s.o. to call you racist in this debate!)
selfish? I'm trying to protect the democracy we currently have for our current population and future generations!

How da *** am I racist? I haven't even brought up the immigrant argument (which is usually the premise for s.o. to call you racist in this debate!)

No, you are not. You are trying to not integrate with the rest of Europe for selfish reasons - you think you are better off without them.
Original post by inhuman
No, you are not. You are trying to not integrate with the rest of Europe for selfish reasons - you think you are better off without them.

I love Europe, as I love the languages, but I have no love for the European Union.

We are better off withoiut the EU economically, stability-wise and democratically.
Reply 136
Original post by inhuman

‘We need to co-operate with our neighbours,’ say Remainers, as if someone somewhere were objecting to the idea.

Were the EU simply a common market, a regional bloc like Nafta or Asean, no one would have a problem with it.
What makes the EU different from every other international association is that it legislates for its members.
In any conflict between a parliamentary statute and the ruling of a Brussels institution, the latter takes precedence.
This legal supremacy, which was not challenged during the renegotiation, is the basis for the political merger of the member states.
The EU has acquired, one by one, the attributes and trappings of nationhood: a president and a foreign minister, citizenship and a passport, treaty-making powers, a criminal justice system, a written constitution, a flag and a national anthem.

It is these things that Leavers object to, not the commerce and co-operation that we would continue to enjoy, as every neighbouring country does.
Original post by ManiaMuse
I hear you on that, I used to work at a properly posh and well-off private school. The catering contractor provided food that was a million times better than at most schools but they were majorly bureaucratic and the charges they passed on to departments were a major rip-off and only kept on going up while service levels were reduced.

So we complained and moaned and they were the butt of jokes amongst staff and eventually they tendered for a new catering contractor who turned up and provided great food and service for about 3 weeks but after that it declined massively and we ended up with less choice and service for the same, if not a greater cost!

i feel you so much.

Born to feel brothers xD
I love Europe, as I love the languages, but I have no love for the European Union.

We are better off withoiut the EU economically, stability-wise and democratically.

If you want to so blatantly contradict yourself, fine. I will no longer humor you.
Original post by EuanF
‘We need to co-operate with our neighbours,’ say Remainers, as if someone somewhere were objecting to the idea.

Were the EU simply a common market, a regional bloc like Nafta or Asean, no one would have a problem with it.
What makes the EU different from every other international association is that it legislates for its members.
In any conflict between a parliamentary statute and the ruling of a Brussels institution, the latter takes precedence.
This legal supremacy, which was not challenged during the renegotiation, is the basis for the political merger of the member states.
The EU has acquired, one by one, the attributes and trappings of nationhood: a president and a foreign minister, citizenship and a passport, treaty-making powers, a criminal justice system, a written constitution, a flag and a national anthem.

It is these things that Leavers object to, not the commerce and co-operation that we would continue to enjoy, as every neighbouring country does.

Paranoid much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending