The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) F334/F335 Exam Thread 2016 (14th/22nd June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahstreet_
image.jpgWhy is the oxidation state of vanadium +4 for the first one?

This one was a read the question moment. It says earlier that S2 in of charge 2- s the oxidation state of Sulfur is -1
Original post by baymay
Yh fam its in the spec but tbf there was a question on it in the jan 12 paper i think and the stability explanation was ignored. You were basically supposed to say how carboxylic acid is stronger than the rest because it can react with a strong base and form carbonate.

Isnt it that carboxylic acids can react with Carbonates to produce a salt, carbon dioxide and water? But, say a phenol can't react with a carbonate, so a carboxylic acid is a stronger acid?
Guys, there was a lot on storylines last year (genetic fingerprinting, combinatorial chemistry etc) and I think they might ask a lot about storylines again this year. What might they ask?
just done the 2014 paper and it was such a pain on the backside and the grade boundaries were also high :/ hope they don't do the same this year
Literally bricking it. I am so nervous, I need to get an A in this exam to even get into my insurance. PLLLLEEAASSSEEE salters give me a nice paper
Reply 165
Are MnO4- ions pink or purple. Some years i see them accept pink but not purple, other years i see them accept purple but not pink..... dammit salters what the hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 166
Original post by Chloestar
Isnt it that carboxylic acids can react with Carbonates to produce a salt, carbon dioxide and water? But, say a phenol can't react with a carbonate, so a carboxylic acid is a stronger acid?

Yh sorry the only one to react with carbonate and form co2, salt and water
Original post by Thomith
Are MnO4- ions pink or purple. Some years i see them accept pink but not purple, other years i see them accept purple but not pink..... dammit salters what the hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are purple. A permanent pink colour is the endpoint

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomith

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought they were purple but are reduced, so a pink colour persists at the end of a redox titration? I don't know if that's right though!
Reply 169
I thought they were purple but are reduced, so a pink colour persists at the end of a redox titration? I don't know if that's right though!

Thats what i thought, but some papers accept what youve written, others accept the opposite, so im not even sure....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170
Anyone got any predictions for F334?
Question 2 ei) on june 2014 f334 (IR spectrum)

It clearly tells at top that it reacts with iron (III) Chloride to become purple (SO MUST BE PHENOL)

so I wrote several peaks in range 1450-1650 which indicates arenes of phenol THEY DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THEY want evidence of ester instead why?? >.<
Does anyone have all the reagents and conditions? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by Tajwar786
Question 2 ei) on june 2014 f334 (IR spectrum)

It clearly tells at top that it reacts with iron (III) Chloride to become purple (SO MUST BE PHENOL)

so I wrote several peaks in range 1450-1650 which indicates arenes of phenol THEY DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THEY want evidence of ester instead why?? >.<

I think they want you to mention that the 1742 peak that's indicated must be an ester C=O for one mark.
Then I guess the other noticeable peak to look at would be the broad peak at 3400 which indicates the OH of a phenol.
I'm not sure why they didn't allow the arene peaks, but perhaps they're not definite enough of it being a phenol?
I think they want you to mention that the 1742 peak that's indicated must be an ester C=O for one mark.
Then I guess the other noticeable peak to look at would be the broad peak at 3400 which indicates the OH of a phenol.
I'm not sure why they didn't allow the arene peaks, but perhaps they're not definite enough of it being a phenol?

Thank you, I guess sometimes you just have to read the minds of these little **** to answer a question correctly, I also found dozens of examples where slight change in wording gets you no marks (even though they mean the same thing)

there was one where you had to name what is produced in condensation reaction other than organic compound, if you wrote H20 you gain no marks (they want "WATER" explicit) >.<
Reply 175
Not sure if someone's already asked this but: what does a higher/lower Tg/Tm even mean? I understand the definitions for Tg and Tm but I keep messing up when I have to apply it to questions. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Ruuth
Not sure if someone's already asked this but: what does a higher/lower Tg/Tm even mean? I understand the definitions for Tg and Tm but I keep messing up when I have to apply it to questions. Thanks in advance :smile:

If you lower the Tg value then it means the polymer will become more flexible, this is achieved by adding plasticisers which push the polymer chains apart so they can slide more.

A higher Tg means the polymer is brittle and hard at any temperature below its Tg, as the chains are more crystalline and IMB's between chains are stronger, so they can't slide over each other.

Heating above the Tm value melts a polymer, so IMB's break and chains can slide over each other.

So basically below its Tg a polymer is brittle as IMB's are stronger, so chains can't slide.
Above its Tm a polymer melts as IMB's between chains break, so they can slide over each other.
Reply 177
Original post by Ruuth

The lower the Tg/Tm the weaker the intermolecular bonds.
Reply 178
Does anyone know the reaction that takes place at the hydrogen electrode ?
Are tangled chains not as easy to slide over each other as cystalline ones?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending