The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5860
What will be the aprox grade boundaries for A/A* on both papers please
Original post by amelialily97
My teachers have said the statistical test could actually be a few things incase some of you are worrying, not just mann whitney, like it was lasted year, because the stem described a lot of factors e.g independent groups, correlation etc. Check last years mark scheme if you want to see it. 1 mark for justifying an appropriate test, 2 marks for justification, it doesn't specify a correct answer.
Hopefully my teachers are right as a lot of other people didn't write mann whitney! Spearmans was popular actually!

Some thought it was chi squred or wilcoxon which cant be right but yeh i could see why spearmans row would be correct although i did mann whitney u
What did you guys put for the reason for the one tailed test thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I got A*/A PSYA4 and 170 UMS last year what do I need in PSYA3 to get a A overall
Thought that was an OK paper. It was definitely better than PSYA3 even though I forgot many researchers' names :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oiseaux

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i put it was ordinal data and directional hypothesis?
Loooooooool I said spearman's rho because it said relationship in the stem bit😂😂
Original post by Oiseaux

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stupidly put bc they won't have a type I error (??) but the right answer was bc it was a directional hypothesis
Original post by Jpalmer.09
For me everything was nice except for the addiction question on media and the bar chart. That media one really threw me because it talked about media and the initiation, maintenance and reduction in Toby's addiction. Wasn't sure what studies to include and I felt the paragraph wasn't very helpful. I just talked about social learning from his role models, advertisements on gambling etc.

I did the same! Phew! 😊
Reply 5869
Original post by rhiannaf
The pro social TV programmes question was difficult. I don't really know what information they wanted. I talked about Bandura's SLT, is that right? I applied it to the scenario of course.
Also, for the evolutionary explanations of celebrity attraction, I talked about the Prestige Hypothesis and included McCutcheon's Celebrity Attitude Scale too, to show that the highest level people were more likely to be strongly attracted to celebrities? Was this the right approach?
The 'which statistical test' question, it was quite open as it said 'what do YOU think is the most appropriate statistical test'. This implies to me that as long as I justified my choice, then I'll get the marks...i put chi-squared.
Hoping the grade boundaries are low for this exam😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought evolutionary was the idea of neophilla and the fact that celebrities hold creative characteristics that make us attractive to them in hope of mating and passing on genes. McCutcheon's attitude scale is celebrity worship right??
For the depression question I put behavioural- Lewinshon and Libet.
Support- the cases of Mrs.G
Limited application (reductionist)
Gender bias
Nurture/nature

How many marks do you think I could get?
Didn't really revise this one- didn't expect them to repeat psychological explanations.
Reply 5871
In designing a consent form, do you just need to put the aim of the experiment then backed up with instructions so the 'parents' would know what will happen in the experiment?
Original post by erinbrooks
I stupidly put bc they won't have a type I error (??) but the right answer was bc it was a directional hypothesis

When do you reckon a Psych GENIUS will put a mock mark scheme? :biggrin:
Original post by Oiseaux

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put that it was because they asked for a directional hypothesis.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Some thought it was chi squred or wilcoxon which cant be right but yeh i could see why spearmans row would be correct although i did mann whitney u

So i think the mark scheme might allow for mann whitney or spearman rho as long as both are well justified. I put mann whitney u, but from what i can remember about the stem i think spearman would be correct too.
what did people put for why there was a control group? too many marks and too little to write!
Original post by Onica
I thought evolutionary was the idea of neophilla and the fact that celebrities hold creative characteristics that make us attractive to them in hope of mating and passing on genes. McCutcheon's attitude scale is celebrity worship right??

Oh god. We weren't taught ANY of that! I've never even heard of neophilla!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That exam fücked me in the àrse so hard. I think I'm bleeding.

An hour into the exam I thought "yep, I've failed" but somehow managed to do ao1 for all of them and generally evaluate them as best I could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiranjotk
what did people put for why there was a control group? too many marks and too little to write!

establish causation

manpiluate IV and see if it makes change on DV

eliminate EV/confounding e.g. persons temperence, would have stopped anxiety after weeks anyway

establish baseline for compariosn - analyse if there is a statistical significance, not due to chance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiranjotk

Talked about you need a group to compare to to see how effective it and therefore see its its valid and appropriate as a management to use etc