The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by Lularose83
Does anyone know if dilute, excess acid or alkali is used in any of the hydrolysis reactions? It keeps popping into my head and I can't remember what it's used for!!

hydrolysis of ester dilute acid,
esterfication conc acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNervous
All hydrolysis reactions use dilute acid and alkali

hydrolysis of peptides? you can still use conc acid/ alkali for normal hydrolysis, it will get the same product, only diazotisation where you need mild conditions to get the unstable diazonium ion i think.
Original post by lai812matthew
almost every reaction uses conc acid except diazotisation which uses dilute HCl i think?

In the cgp book it says dilute acud us used for ester hydrolysis!
Reply 1603
In the cgp book it says dilute acud us used for ester hydrolysis!

yes dilute for hydrolysis

Posted from TSR Mobile
bricking it, we would've been done by now if it was at 9
Reply 1605
guys just did a legacy paper, and the m.s confused me ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465902350.803376.jpg how many peaks would this have and how many splitting? one peak right, and is a triplet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the best way to structure NMR questions?
What did the ms say? There would be a peak due to the aldehyde protons and another due to the hcc=O protons?
Original post by ranz
guys just did a legacy paper, and the m.s confused me ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465902350.803376.jpg how many peaks would this have and how many splitting? one peak right, and is a triplet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1608
Original post by maisym00
What did the ms say? There would be a peak due to the aldehyde protons and another due to the hcc=O protons?

sorry forgot to mention d2o was used, the m.s says just one peak with no splititng, but isnt it one peak with triplet
With C=O bonds, what does it mean 'pi bonds electrons unavailable due to polarisation'
What would the splitting pattern of butane be?
Original post by ranz
sorry forgot to mention d2o was used, the m.s says just one peak with no splititng, but isnt it one peak with triplet

Ah, I see where you're coming from, but I think because the molecule is symmetrical the protons are equivalent and equivalent protons won't split eachother?
Reply 1612
Original post by maisym00
Ah, I see where you're coming from, but I think because the molecule is symmetrical the protons are equivalent and equivalent protons won't split eachother?

oh they dont? i recall a paper where they showed me a symmetrical compound and it did have splitting
Do Hs in the same environemnt split each other

edit: no they don't split each other so it would be one peak, no split
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yoda123

no
Original post by yoda123

No
Dumb question but what is CHOCH2CHO even called? And in the nmr spec, would you see splitting??
Dumb question but what is CHOCH2CHO even called? And in the nmr spec, would you see splitting??

propane-1,3-dial? Yeah CH2 would be triplet and CHO would be triplet
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1618
Original post by yoda123

edit: no they don't split each other so it would be one peak, no split

what about ch3ch2ch2ch3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sahil_
propane-1,3-dial? Yeah CH2 would be triplet and CHO would be triplet

Thanks! why is CHO triplet though?

Quick Reply