The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gerrard1998
Are there any resources that arrange every past paper question by topic for F453- this would be really useful

Yes, a user shared it earlier in the thread.
Original post by Aydin7
Yes, a user shared it earlier in the thread.

Thank you so much
Does anyone know if you're required to explain your working-out in full sentences like the mark scheme for question 4?
question4.png
Original post by ryanroks1
Activity networks don't tend to appear frequently, as do a few of the other UML diagrams so it might be worth focusing on those. Other than that, almost all topic areas seem to have been covered in varying depth throughout the specification so far, so providing you've got to grips with all the past papers, it's unlikely you'll have any significant problems.

Activity networks?
Original post by MrSplash
Activity networks?

I assume he is refering to activity diagrams, a type of flow diagram used in UML. They have appeared in the Jan 2012 paper.
Original post by Aydin7
Does anyone know if you're required to explain your working-out in full sentences like the mark scheme for question 4?
question4.png

I think any kind of full working will get the 3 marks, as in previous years with no working at all I think the answer was worth 1/3 marks. I use a different method of working for the binary questions, by calculating the values of the exponent and mantissa then plugging the numbers into standard form.
Anyone retaking F452 tomorrow?
Original post by Sarahhh274
Anyone retaking F452 tomorrow?

yup...unfortunately
Original post by Aydin7
yup...unfortunately

Do you reckon it will be harder considering it's only retakes who are doing the paper tomorrow?
Are there any specific topics due to come up in tomorrow exam?
Original post by Sarahhh274
Do you reckon it will be harder considering it's only retakes who are doing the paper tomorrow?
Are there any specific topics due to come up in tomorrow exam?

The closest reference point - f451 2016 - was no harder than past exams, maybe some of the terms were less frequent and more obscure, but as long as you knew them it was fine. I would expect the f452 coding/algorithm questions to be more difficult to act as discretionary questions since there aren't many other ways to increase the difficulty of a paper. Considering this, i would also expect the grade boundaries to be higher.

Best of luck for tomorrow!
absolutely *****ing myself. cant muck f452 up...
absolutely *****ing myself. cant muck f452 up...

How did you find it ? ... I thought it was 60% ******** ... 40% decent
**** OCR
Original post by TheMathsMan
How did you find it ? ... I thought it was 60% ******** ... 40% decent

I agree, I was able to answer all the questions, but it was a lot harder than previous papers. Which is surprising considering that f451 was nothing special. Not looking forward to f453 after that...
**** OCR

ikr .. the second worst experience I've had in an exam ...
Last year F452 takes the cake though but what the actual **** ...
why have a 5th question when the other 4 take a **** ton of time to do anyways..
Original post by Aydin7
I agree, I was able to answer all the questions, but it was a lot harder than previous papers. Which is surprising considering that f451 was nothing special. Not looking forward to f453 after that...

That's the thing ... I didn't answer all the questions ... last 5 minutes I realised I saved an 8 mark till the end and missed out on the 4 marks for the last question. My psuedo code was for the first time messy af. but everything else was partially fine.
******s
Original post by TheMathsMan
That's the thing ... I didn't answer all the questions ... last 5 minutes I realised I saved an 8 mark till the end and missed out on the 4 marks for the last question. My psuedo code was for the first time messy af. but everything else was partially fine.

I hope the examiner has the patience to read what I've put as it was extremely messy. I felt so pushed for time throughout and had 10 minutes spare compared to 45 for f451...
So glad I revised string manipulation the night before otherwise i'd have been ****ed.
Also what is up with the 6 mark serial file algorithm question having about 5-6 lines and the 4 marker at the end having a whole page.:angry:
I answered all the questions except the last 4 marker
This was utter shite but it cant get worse than "State your assumptions".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending