The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Willandy123
Yo guys, do we have to learn all the proofing for all the equations in S1, if so, anyones got all the proofs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont need to learn the proofs for any of the formulas.
image.jpg
For the June 15 paper on question 3 where it asks to determine whether its statically independent I did what Alwaus gets me the marks in past papers but for this one they wanted something different and I don't get it.
My failed solution ^
Original post by Kadak
When they say give an interpretation of b ,what is usually meant ?

b is the gradient, so for every one unit increase in x, the y increases (if b is positive) or decreases (in b is negative) by the value of b
Reply 403
HEY AGAIN can someone pls help me with june 2013(R) question 5 d) and e).. I really don't understand the theory behind it - Here's the paper's link: http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20130517.pdf
Original post by Siddhart1998
image.jpg
For the June 15 paper on question 3 where it asks to determine whether its statically independent I did what Alwaus gets me the marks in past papers but for this one they wanted something different and I don't get it.
My failed solution ^

I always do:
If they are independent then P(B|C) = P(B)
P(B) = 20/80 = 0.25
P(B|C) = (4+3)/28 = 0.25
Since P(B) = P(B|C) the events are independent
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 406
Original post by wenogk
HEY AGAIN can someone pls help me with june 2013(R) question 5 d) and e).. I really don't understand the theory behind it - Here's the paper's link: http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20130517.pdf

5d) The value is unchanged
Reason is Sxx = Sum(xbar - x)^2
so x = 6
xbar is sum of x divided by number of items
sum of x was 60 (divided by 10 gives xbar of 6)
Add 6 (turner has 6 characters) and we have 66/11 (one new item)
so x bar is STILL 6.
Since x is also 6 there is nothing to add to Sxx, so it still equals 28

They did use 0.75.

P(X<Q3) = 0.75. Then look at the table to see what value of Z gives 0.75 - you'll find that it's 0.67.

So, 0.67 = q3-mean/s.d and then solve for q3.
Hi,
If the probability is for example P([CUB]), what do the square brackets mean?
Do you guys think we will get an easy or hard paper tomorrow ?
Original post by rose1234
Hi,
If the probability is for example P([CUB]), what do the square brackets mean?

Probability of C or B occurring so you add P(B) +P(C).
U=OR(add the probabilities).
U upside down means =ADD(multiply the probabilities).
I think the square brackets represent the order in which you prioritise the brackets e.g.do the ones in the square before you do the normal one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone else find June 2015 IAl impossible of just me?
Reply 412
Original post by Siddhart1998
image.jpg
My failed solution ^

the method you used is right. 0.0875=7/80
however how did you get 0.25 for P(b/\c) (maybe venn diagram was wrong). P(b/\c) is also 7/80 (4+3/80) so as they're equal, they're statistically independant
Reply 413
Original post by Kadak
Do you guys think we will get an easy or hard paper tomorrow ?

I bricking it for tmo, as im assuming it's gonna be harder. I've done every PP over the last week chronologically (2005-2015) and my overall mark has slightly decreased as I came to the more recent ones. They're getting wordier and expecting to APPLY our knowledge of current topics more frequently, on styles of questions we've just never seen before.

C1 & C2 (2016) provided as evidence for this, as I'm sure many found these papers slightly harder than previous PPs, and i think S1 will generally follow this trend. Hopefully it won't be harder but all we can do now is pray for the best! :redface:
guys any important points and tips to write in questions where dey ask us to compare to events specially in the case of 2 box plots
Reply 415
In question 2f of the 2016 IAL paper, why is the probability passing 1/2 instead of 75%? Is it just common sense that chance of passing is 1/2?
Attachment not found
Could someone possibly explain to me how to get this answer I'm lost..s1-1.JPG
best way to revise probability and normal distribution?
Reply 419
Original post by arrow_h
Attachment not found
Could someone possibly explain to me how to get this answer I'm lost..s1-1.JPG

Prob a- wakes before 6:30
Prob b- goes for a run

draw a VENN DIAGRAM:
from reading the question we can see-
P(A)= 0.7
P(B) 0.35
P(A'/\B')= 0.22 (outside of two circles)

remember: P(AuB)= overall probability within two circles
so P(AuB)= 1 (total proability)- 0.22 (probability lying OUTSIDE of circles)
=0.78

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending