The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sallaaaayy
but the research method for mumford & whitehouse is questionnaires

They also interviewed anyone who got 20+ on eat and 140+ on bsq so you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
They also interviewed anyone who got 20+ on eat and 140+ on bsq so you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh yes thats true thank u :smile:
Reply 802
can someone actually translate to me what the 3rd question was actually about ?? i think i might have misread it but i thought it said "describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal by the social norms definition" like ummm is it not all of them i don't understand- i wrote about hearing voices n culture and being isolated or something in the end lmao

also for the is psychology a science questions; i wrote about the same studies in b) and c) do you think that matters?? swear down they were like the same question

let us pray now to the low grade boundaries god
Original post by Rsprcy
can someone actually translate to me what the 3rd question was actually about ?? i think i might have misread it but i thought it said "describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal by the social norms definition" like ummm is it not all of them i don't understand- i wrote about hearing voices n culture and being isolated or something in the end lmao

also for the is psychology a science questions; i wrote about the same studies in b) and c) do you think that matters?? swear down they were like the same question

let us pray now to the low grade boundaries god

I wrote about catatonia (negative symptom) and described it and auditory hallucinations and how they go against social norms because you wouldn't expect someone to remain motionless and also to talk to themselves.

Which question are you talking about? Do you mean the studies about biological vs social psychology as a science and the one after?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys one of the questions, cant remember it explicitly, i wrote goldstein instead of mumford and whitehouse would i still get marks?
I actually found it ok! I did Holland for procedure then used twin studies. Timing seemed a bit close but i actually found it ok
Reply 806
I wrote about catatonia (negative symptom) and described it and auditory hallucinations and how they go against social norms because you wouldn't expect someone to remain motionless and also to talk to themselves.

Which question are you talking about? Do you mean the studies about biological vs social psychology as a science and the one after?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh that makes sense I guess!! oops

Yeah haha I used Milgram and Raine et al in both oops

edit: just realised raine et al is a lab experiment rather than pet scans thing omg i hate my life
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rsprcy
ahh that makes sense I guess!! oops

Yeah haha I used Milgram and Raine et al in both oops

Is that a lab experiment for both? I did yuille and cutshall (field) and milgram (lab)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wasn't DESCRIBE, it was EVALUATE. You will get ZERO marks for describing.

I evaluated social learning theory compared with cognitive explanation

Oh seriously?! How can i have read that wrong?! I did the biological explanation of anorexia :frown: absolutely gutted
Does anyone have a mark scheme?
Reply 810
Is that a lab experiment for both? I did yuille and cutshall (field) and milgram (lab)

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah lmao I've only just realised thought PET scans were a research method rip me bye future ah well
Original post by nusrat_r
Oh seriously?! How can i have read that wrong?! I did the biological explanation of anorexia :frown: absolutely gutted

I'm sorry to hear, I almost made the same mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AAugusta1
Hi guys one of the questions, cant remember it explicitly, i wrote goldstein instead of mumford and whitehouse would i still get marks?

I wrote about Goldstein too, that's perfectly acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help? For the 18 marker on ethnocentrism I described it continuously on for the 6 marks evened up writing a page abouts which is fine but then I evaluated by using Milgram, Hofling and Malagady but then said they are not ecologically valid as they are not done in a natural setting is this wrong ?
I'm sorry to hear, I almost made the same mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the question like you have studied a disorder listed above, evaluate an explanation and compare it to another explanation?
Can anyone remember the questions each one ? I can't remember
Reply 816
Original post by joshnewbs
Can anyone remember the questions each one ? I can't remember

Describe social norms definition (4)
Evaluate social norms definition (5)
Describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal under this definition (4)

Evaluate the use of primary and secondary source data (5)
Evaluate one explanation for unipolar depression and compare with another explanation using research evidence (6)

Describe the procedure of a study from clinical (4)
Evaluate the research method used by the study (5)

Describe and Evaluate TEP to treat mental disorders. In your evaluation compare it with a treatment from the psychodynamic approach (12)

Discuss one contribution from Unit 3 (2)
Evaluate the contribution in terms of usefulness, using research evidence(4)

Outline 2 features that make psychology scientific (2)
Using research evidence, Explain how the biological approach can be considered more scientific than the social approach (6)
Evaluate 2 studies which used different research methods and discuss how they are scientific (4)

Plan a content analysis (9)

Ethnocentrism or something about soldiers/officers using concepts idk (18)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nusrat_r
Was the question like you have studied a disorder listed above, evaluate an explanation and compare it to another explanation?

Yep and include research evidence

I did SLT
Supported by gorresz, meta analysis of 25 studies found body ideal in western culture portrayed as slim, contradicted by Mumford and white house who found no difference on bsq scores between Asian girls and white British girls
Supported by fearne in Fiji who found western television increased incidence of anorexia
Strong face validity - explains why many western women have difficulties with dieting and exercising obsessively
Underplays cognitive aspect - faulty perception of body image, brain distorts image
Cognitive explanation explains why behaviour continues despite behaviour not being reinforced whereas SLT does not
Cognitive approach focuses on nature, SLT focuses on nurture

I hope I get at least 4/6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rsprcy
Describe social norms definition (4) Evaluate social norms definition (5) Describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal under this definition (4)
Evaluate the use of primary and secondary source data (5) Evaluate one explanation for unipolar depression and compare with another explanation using research evidence (6)
Describe the procedure of a study from clinical (4) Evaluate the research method used by the study (5)
Describe and Evaluate TEP to treat mental disorders. In your evaluation compare it with a treatment from the psychodynamic approach (12)

Discuss one contribution from Unit 3 (2) Evaluate the contribution in terms of usefulness, using research evidence(4)
Outline 2 features that make psychology scientific (2) Using research evidence, Explain how the biological approach can be considered more scientific than the social approach (6) Evaluate 2 studies which used different research methods and discuss how they are scientific (4)
Plan a content analysis (9)

Ethnocentrism or something about soldiers/officers using concepts idk (18)

I believe the primary and secondary data one was out of 6, other than that, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know if it would be fine to talk about qualitative/quantitative data as opposed to primary/secondary data on that question on clinical for 6 marks, which asked for different types of data researchers used and to evaluate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending