The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JT423
I bricking it for tmo, as im assuming it's gonna be harder. I've done every PP over the last week chronologically (2005-2015) and my overall mark has slightly decreased as I came to the more recent ones. They're getting wordier and expecting to APPLY our knowledge of current topics more frequently, on styles of questions we've just never seen before.

C1 & C2 (2016) provided as evidence for this, as I'm sure many found these papers slightly harder than previous PPs, and i think S1 will generally follow this trend. Hopefully it won't be harder but all we can do now is pray for the best! :redface:

This is why Im so nervous, I need to do well in stats but my marks are so varied because of the difficulties in the newer papers. Which is why I am worried that I will fail tomorrow if the paper is madness. Last exam for me at least.
Reply 421
Original post by physicsamor
This is why Im so nervous, I need to do well in stats but my marks are so varied because of the difficulties in the newer papers. Which is why I am worried that I will fail tomorrow if the paper is madness. Last exam for me at least.

lol, S1 should be the least of my worries atm- i have 2 chem exams tmo :s-smilie:
Original post by JT423
Prob a- wakes before 6:30
Prob b- goes for a run

draw a VENN DIAGRAM:
from reading the question we can see-
P(A)= 0.7
P(B) 0.35
P(A'/\B':wink:= 0.22 (outside of two circles)

remember: P(AuB)= overall probability within two circles
so P(AuB)= 1 (total proability)- 0.22 (probability lying OUTSIDE of circles)
=0.78

Ahh thank youuu!
Just want to confirm, is P([AnB]') the same as P(A'nB') ?
Quick question guys

On the normal distribution function table, if you get a probability that is in between the ones listed on the table, what method do you use to find the corresponding z value?
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 16.27.45.png

Guys in part e of this question, in the mark scheme ,why is this 25-18.3 not 18.3-15 ?? it doesnt make sense to me
Original post by JT423
Prob a- wakes before 6:30
Prob b- goes for a run

draw a VENN DIAGRAM:
from reading the question we can see-
P(A)= 0.7
P(B) 0.35
P(A'/\B':wink:= 0.22 (outside of two circles)

remember: P(AuB)= overall probability within two circles
so P(AuB)= 1 (total proability)- 0.22 (probability lying OUTSIDE of circles)
=0.78

Ahh thank youuu!
Reply 427
Original post by asinghj
Just want to confirm, is P([AnB]':wink: the same as P(A'nB':wink: ?

no they aren't the same:
P([AnB]') is 1-P(AnB) (the part inbetween two circles)
P(A'nB') is simply the part lying outside the two circles, 1-P(AuB)
Need to learn all of this tonight woooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anndz3007
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 16.27.45.png

Guys in part e of this question, in the mark scheme ,why is this 25-18.3 not 18.3-15 ?? it doesnt make sense to me

Ayy. I literally did this paper 5 mins ago.

The method they're doing is slightly different to the one you're doing, but both methods are correct.
The way you're doing it (and the way I did it) was doing interpolation to find the number of tomato plants that have a yield of up to 1 sd above the mean. Then take that away from 70 (the total) to get an answer that rounds up to 12.

The way the markscheme is doing it is using interpolation to directly find the number of tomato plants that have a yield of more than 1 sd above the mean.
What affects the PMCC and standard deviation?

@zacken @seanfm
Reply 431
The only venn diagram notation i dont know is P(A'UB'), What is it#????????
guys plz tell da points dat we should write wen we r comparing graphs like box plots
Original post by Glib
The only venn diagram notation i dont know is P(A'UB':wink:, What is it#????????

Everything that is not the union of A+ B.So it will be what value is outside the two circles.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Need to learn all of this tonight woooo

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do it :smile:.
Original post by Haamoo7
Ayy. I literally did this paper 5 mins ago.

The method they're doing is slightly different to the one you're doing, but both methods are correct.
The way you're doing it (and the way I did it) was doing interpolation to find the number of tomato plants that have a yield of up to 1 sd above the mean. Then take that away from 70 (the total) to get an answer that rounds up to 12.

The way the markscheme is doing it is using interpolation to directly find the number of tomato plants that have a yield of more than 1 sd above the mean.

can you explain the way the mark scheme did it, interpolation value is 15-18.3-25 above and 0-x-12 below right ? o
Original post by Haamoo7
Quick question guys

On the normal distribution function table, if you get a probability that is in between the ones listed on the table, what method do you use to find the corresponding z value?

round and chose the closest one
Original post by Kadak
Everything that is not A and B.So it will be what value is outside the two circles.

Are you sure?

Isn't P(A'nB') the value outside of the 2 circles, as it's the intersection of everything not A and everything not B?
Anyone can show how coding affects sd etc?
Original post by Haamoo7
Are you sure?

Isn't P(A'nB':wink: the value outside of the 2 circles, as it's the intersection of everything not A and everything not B?

Yeah that`s what I meant ,in literature term it made sense.
I meant to say anything outside the union of A and B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending