The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would the following be a sufficient AO2 point for Biological Therapies for Schizophrenia?

This point would usually be in my psychological therapies AO2 but i blanked during the exam and just put it in:

McGorry et al - 36% of patients receiving psychotherapy still had disorder whilst only 10% of CBT and drugs users developed it.

I would then normally evaluate this paragraph by saying that the success could have been due to the drugs but this time i re-arranged it and said the success could have been due to the CBT, undermining the explanation?

I was so desperate lol

Anyway the exam was okay, the research methods killed me. Go look at my tweet :wink: https://twitter.com/fkamike/status/742663424467996672
Original post by NHM
Don't know why people are thinking that the stats test one the data was interval I can understand confusing ordinal data with nominal but not interval for **** sake 😂😂

You're joking right? I mean as long as you put 'Data is atleast ordinal' as a reason you get the mark. It's way easier to get interval, ratio and ordinal mixed up with eachother though than nominal as nominal is completely different...
Reply 6162
Original post by amehlia
yeah definitely!!! it was only 4+6 right?? did the same pretty much, only added celebrity gossip to get more ao1 as my neophilia outline wasnt so detailed then used shiraishi for a study and elaborated A LOT to get some marks.

Omg I did the same! I used the Shirashi study and used evaluation for the overall explanation such as reductionist and unfasifiable. Wanted to add gossip theory but didn't have enough time but my outline was detailed for the first explanation so it should be okay
what the answer for the statistical test one, i thought you could just pick any and justify it... i think i misunderstood :/ oh well aha, the paper overall was so nice though :biggrin:
Reply 6164
To everyone worrying about if it was interval data or ordinal. I put ordinal because AQA can only ask for Chi-squared, wilcoxon, manwhitney ans spearmans Rho. If you used interval data you would have got unrelated t test?
Original post by sukhraj7
12 marks I think, not sure

drawing a graph (4 marks)
statistical test chosen and three reasons for it (4 marks)
matched pairs design (2 marks + 2 marks)

ahh is it still likely i'll get an A in this paper? I feel like the rest of the exam was relatively easy
Original post by Daisy May
How was it ordinal data? It's definitely interval. My textbook even gives an example of test scores as interval data, which is similar to anxiety scores.

forget interval for a moment n think about nominal vs. ordinal - anxiety scores in the results are not categories so it's not nominal. as for interval, in interval data we know the exact value between each measurement and this doesn't apply to anxiety scores because to an extent they are subjective. in a test, e.g. a maths exam, the difference between the scores are exact because you either get it right or wrong. in a self-report measure of anxiety levels the response is subjective: participants may interpret the questions differently and therefore the differences between the scores do not show an exact difference in 'anxiety level'.

im bad at explaining things aha, but that's the difference between ordinal and interval. ordinal is number stuff, interval has exact differences between scores. only knew this because we had a massive debate about this in psych.
Original post by chloehayes
how did you find the biological therapies question? :smile:

I was quite happy with it tbh, I out quite similar things to you (just read what you said you included in a post above) so hopefully it's gone okey :smile:
Reply 6168
Hope the grade boundaries are not too high for the exam. I think the PSYA3 exam will be really low because more enough everyone in the country found it hard especially gender schema and aggression questions.
Original post by ScottA1997
There was a page at the back? How many marks was this worth?
12 mark
were you suppose to draw the table on both mean and range or just mean for RM Q
Original post by rosieschofield
what the answer for the statistical test one, i thought you could just pick any and justify it... i think i misunderstood :/ oh well aha, the paper overall was so nice though :biggrin:

i n a bunch of people i spoke to put mann whitney because the study uses an independent groups design, is looking at the differences between two data sets as opposed to correlation and the data is ordinal:smile: my teacher gave us an awesome acronym thing to remember why youd use each test aha.
Original post by amehlia
i n a bunch of people i spoke to put mann whitney because the study uses an independent groups design, is looking at the differences between two data sets as opposed to correlation and the data is ordinal:smile: my teacher gave us an awesome acronym thing to remember why youd use each test aha.

omg i didnt even link it i was just like you can use chi squared... there's uni out the window
Original post by Jadejadejade16
They were alright I suppose! I was a bit unsure of all of the results on near death experiences but I brain vomitted on that too haha! Was she a believer? I read it is as Margaret didn't believe in the paranormal! I wrote expectancy effects (the researcher may have been a sheep) and a study to support (Wiseman & Schiltz) and I also wrote about forced choice vs free response (the fact Margaret had to choose from 4 cards is forced response) and a study to support to say people do better in forced choice design. That's all I did! Not entirely sure if that's correct.

Ahh yea I meant to type that she wasn't a believer, I put it in the exam that she wasn't too :smile: it sounds like you've done perfectly tbh! :smile:
did people find the results to be significant or not significant???
Any ideas on grade boundaries?
Also, did anyone else do addiction? I messed the media influence question up so bad, damn you Tony and your multiple addictions :frown:
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
did people find the results to be significant or not significant???

I found them to be significant :smile:
Original post by rosieschofield
omg i didnt even link it i was just like you can use chi squared... there's uni out the window

nonono dont worry about it im sure the rest went fine!!! was just 3 marks i think my friend did exactly the same thing and forgot the acronym so just put 'use chi-squared' and she got an A* in the mock!
Original post by charlie2466
I found them to be significant :smile:

OKAY i think i did too??!! like what did you find to be the observed value and critical value?
Original post by Lularose83
Any ideas on grade boundaries?
Also, did anyone else do addiction? I messed the media influence question up so bad, damn you Tony and your multiple addictions :frown:

i did too! HATED ADDICTION SO MUCH! i hate tony too:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending