The Student Room Group

Wjec ch4 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackielyngreen30
I think the molecular formula was C6H10O for the first part of that question i guessed because the there was a spectrum at 72m/z. C=12, 72÷12=6 so I guessed there was 6 carbons. Thats all I put for there I hope i do get the full 4 marks for giving that guess if its right :/. And the structural formula I deduced from the NMR spec there was an aldehyde present at around (~9ppm) so I put it as a displayed formula (stupid mistake) = (in structural formula) CH3CH(CH3)CH2CH2CHO

m/z 72 was the full molecular mass. All the carbons, hydrogens and oxygen. Not just the carbon. The correct molecular formula was C4H8O :smile:
Original post by sumeyyatontus
m/z 72 was the full molecular mass. All the carbons, hydrogens and oxygen. Not just the carbon. The correct molecular formula was C4H8O :smile:

Oh god damnnnnnnn 😢😢😢😢
Hmmm questions 1,2 and 5 were okay..
3 was RANDOM. The stuff about racemic mixture and the pregnant woman? What did everyone do for that? and also I went blank :frown: for hydrolysis of Sucrose?

4 was just horrid. I think I lost almost all marks on that question cause I hate NMR and I hate chromatography.

Relying on my insurance to accept me for uni now D: I don't think Ill get an A in chem.. :[
I didn't like that paper atall! Can anyone do an unofficial mark scheme?
Correct me if I'm wrong but the WJEC definition of racemic mixture is: 'an equimolar mixture of two optical isomers'.
Yet the question asks what do you get when a racemic mixture is formed from one isomer.

Either the question was worded terribly or I'm missing something...
That was exactly my problem! Couldn't work that out all! Seemed contradictory
Original post by SackSly
What the f*ck was question 4!? I'm actually so annoyed because I went through the effort of memorising all the different reactions and conditions and barely any even came up! Terrible paper :/

yes so did I, i knew all the reactions, I had lithium tetrahydridoaluminate (III) in my head all year round and they hardly asked for reagents and conditions:/ Also I just don't like nmr or chromatography :/ and the four mark questions on question 2 were ridiculous how much can you actually say to get all the marks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BeepBoop
Correct me if I'm wrong but the WJEC definition of racemic mixture is: 'an equimolar mixture of two optical isomers'.
Yet the question asks what do you get when a racemic mixture is formed from one isomer.

Either the question was worded terribly or I'm missing something...

i was stuck on that for ages too and didn't really know what they wanted me to draw :/
It was a weird paper. I feel like I guessed most of it!
I'm somewhat relieved that I wasnt the only one struggling. That paper was horrific, probably lost loads on proving how the statements were incorrect 😵
Felt like I was guessing all of section B :colonhash: Anyone else get methyl propanal?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Felt like I was guessing all of section B :colonhash: Anyone else get methyl propanal?

Yep think that's the right answer :smile:
Original post by sumeyyatontus
Me too 👍

I don't want to bring either of you down but it was revealed in the high resolution NMR that the doublet at 9.8 indicated an aldehyde. And another peak said somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0 there was a multi something number of peaks which means either "CH3-C=O(- R)" or "-CH2-C=O(-R)" so it had to have a ketone in there no matter what and the C=O was not part of the aldehyde. So it had to be an aldehyde with a ketone or possibly an ester.
Correct me if i'm wrong though.
Hitler has reacted, I tried my best guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAJvji4Bgs
Reply 34
Original post by Chemistryxx77
I don't want to bring either of you down but it was revealed in the high resolution NMR that the doublet at 9.8 indicated an aldehyde. And another peak said somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0 there was a multi something number of peaks which means either "CH3-C=O(- R)" or "-CH2-C=O(-R)" so it had to have a ketone in there no matter what and the C=O was not part of the aldehyde. So it had to be an aldehyde with a ketone or possibly an ester.

So what should the structure have been?
Reply 35
What value did everyone get for the percentage yield?
Original post by Chemistryxx77

Apologies if I don't quite understand what you're saying, but I'll show how I think ours works. Using CH3-CH(CH3)-CHO, you have the one proton on the aldehyde, with chemical shift of about 9.8 and area 1, which is a doublet as it is next to the single proton on the CH group. Then this CH proton is next to several other protons (2 CH3 groups and the CHO group), so is multi-split and has area 1. Basically for a peak to be multi-split it needs to be next to several carbons with protons. Those examples you have given would have no splitting as those protons are not next to any other protons. Then the two methyl groups are in identical envronments so produce one peak with area 6. It is also a doublet as each CH3 group is next to the CH group in the centre of the molecule. This seems to match the NMR prefectly and has Mr 72, which the mass spec confirmed was the case.
Original post by Mango88
What value did everyone get for the percentage yield?

I got around 23% I think (it was denitely in the 20s), I thought it was too low, but the next question did say "the yield is low," so I think it was nearly right. If not, only one mark lost becuase of a slip somewhere.
i accidentally put down butanal wasn't looking at the splitting correctly. I talked about the ppm and its correspondence to groups, the splitting was my downfall. methyl propanal is correct. How many marks do you think i will lose, so pissed at myself.
This speaks to me at a spiritual level omg 😂 loved it!
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Hitler has reacted, I tried my best guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAJvji4Bgs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending