The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) F334/F335 Exam Thread 2016 (14th/22nd June)

Scroll to see replies

For the prove in excess question, I worked out the volume of KBrO3 that would have reacted and got something like 66.8cm3 which was less than the 100cm3 supplied so it's in excess??? Would that be wrong bc all I've seen is people comparing moles?
Reply 381
Original post by Kira Yagami
For the isomers did you get 2? I got 2 and named one E and the other Z ?

Cold drawing: The chains are pulled making them straight and more crystalline so chains are closer together and so stronger IMF so mor energy needed to break them etc...

I got two, some seemed so think that since there were 4 marks that it'd be four isomers however I disagree and I assumed it would be two isomers and two marks for labelling them correctly.

There was one hydrogen on the two inner carbons so I didn't think they'd show E/Z isomerism
I guess if this paper went bad for you the F335 grade boundaries are usually around 81/120 for an A so it's not the end of the world
Original post by _MAT_
Could of sworn it said put all

No it said two
Original post by _MAT_
I got two, some seemed so think that since there were 4 marks that it'd be four isomers however I disagree and I assumed it would be two isomers and two marks for labelling them correctly.

There was one hydrogen on the two inner carbons so I didn't think they'd show E/Z isomerism

Yeah it makes sense that there are 2 right?
Reply 385
Original post by thelizzister
lol true, but whatever happens happens, really wanted to think I got those 4 marks (theres still the chance I didn't though:colondollar:)

I'm sure it didn't specify the number it just asked to put the functional groups present other than benzene

ah fantastic and i'm sure you did
I swear AQA students don't deal with the BS that ocr manage to creat up each year. Joke of a course
Original post by IBerrr
Well think about it. If a reactant is removed, this will increase the concentration of the one reactant but also decrease the concentration of the other. If the reactant that increases in concentration was second order then the rate will also increase, however, if the reactant REMOVED was second order, then the rate of reaction will decrease. As we were not told which of the reactants were removed, the mark scheme will most likely require candidates to write 'change' as opposed to 'increase/decrease', although I imagine it will ALLOW 'increase/decrease'

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Here's hoping that the mark scheme is lenient on that as it was such an ambiguous question. I didnt even say it changes, I just said it could increase or decrease
Reply 388
Original post by Kira Yagami
Yeah it makes sense that there are 2 right?

Indeed, based on what we've been taught before this was the logical conclusion for me at least
Reply 389
Original post by yoyo.sat
I dont understand how the bromine number can be 390 or 195 when its meant to be how many grams of bromine in 100 grams of sample, surely it has to be less than 100 grams because its impossible to have 195 g of bromine in 100 g of sample?

I believe you may have read the information incorrectly. The bromine number is the mass (in g) of bromine reacted with 100g of reactant. The bromine is not 100g, the reactant (hexadiene) is 100g which is what allows you to calculate the moles of hexadiene by doing mass/mr. If you think about it, why would a question ask you to find the mass of bromine if it already told you the mass was 100g, and if this actually was the case, the answer would be 100g of bromine, nothing less.
For the catalysis one I thought because it was a transition metal it changes oxidation state as it reacts to form an intermediate which is then regenerated ??
Original post by abdi3412
Am i pilau rice to be aired

Pilau rice is mad fam, allow it it's not even Iftar yet my g. Goodluck still on this akh
For the homogeneous one did anyone just explain the normal answer like in F331?

Adsorption bla bla bla?

That's what I did lol idk
So everyone, for the medicine one I said

" Is it safe?"

"Is it better than current medicines being used/standard medicines being used now"
Reply 394
Original post by charliexox
For the catalysis one I thought because it was a transition metal it changes oxidation state as it reacts to form an intermediate which is then regenerated ??

That's for homogenous, some of the stuff still applies though
Original post by Bella09
For the prove in excess question, I worked out the volume of KBrO3 that would have reacted and got something like 66.8cm3 which was less than the 100cm3 supplied so it's in excess??? Would that be wrong bc all I've seen is people comparing moles?

I imagine there are multiple ways to do it so don't worry!
Original post by Daniel9998
Needed a very high A/A* in this exam as well LOOL.
Full UMS in F335 here I come

OMG SAME HEREE LOOOL!!! For me to get an A I needed at least 80 UMS because and unit 5 I needed a scarp A but I guess I need 120 UMS now for unit 😂
No clue why it was so hard this year!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the one about volatile substances I said " H+ is in excess so it's conc would not be changing lol and then said because there is less reactants, there would be a lower rate of reactions because fewer collions between particles etc... so rate decreases?
Reply 398
Original post by Dentistxo
No it said two

I can gurantee you it said 'all', pretty sure in bold aswell
Original post by charliexox

I think the question asked for heterogenous catalysis though - adsorption etc. What I think youre describing is homogenous. Though, I could be wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending