The Student Room Group

Disappointing summer exam results

Hi, I've just finished second year of university and recently received results for the summer exams. Having been on a mid first, I've gained some very disappointing results which has dragged it down to a low first (71.5%). The grades have made me feel somewhat demoralised.

Has this damaged my chances of graduating with a first class degree?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Ps. second and third year are 50% each.
Original post by MrBean1994
Hi, I've just finished second year of university and recently received results for the summer exams. Having been on a mid first, I've gained some very disappointing results which has dragged it down to a low first (71.5%). The grades have made me feel somewhat demoralised.

Has this damaged my chances of graduating with a first class degree?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Ps. second and third year are 50% each.

Surely its a bit obvious what you need if the years are both marked 50:50.....
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
Surely its a bit obvious what you need if the years are both marked 50:50.....

I wasn't asking what grade is required, just wondering if dropping a couple of % will have a drastic impact on overall classification next year.

Thanks.
I wasn't asking what grade is required, just wondering if dropping a couple of % will have a drastic impact on overall classification next year.

Thanks.

Well if you know what grade you need (I assume you know that if you arent asking it like you said) then I dont really see what youre asking.

It wont effect it if you think you can get a high 2:1 next year but if you cant then clearly it will effect your overall classification
Reply 4
Original post by madmadmax321
Well if you know what grade you need (I assume you know that if you arent asking it like you said) then I dont really see what youre asking.

It wont effect it if you think you can get a high 2:1 next year but if you cant then clearly it will effect your overall classification

I was kind of asking for a little bit of assurance that it won't have too big of an impact, potentially from someone with experience of achieving something similar in second year.
I was kind of asking for a little bit of assurance that it won't have too big of an impact, potentially from someone with experience of achieving something similar in second year.

Damaged... in some sense of the word, I guess, it would have 'damaged' your chances as much as dropping a phone from a small height and being unlucky enough for it to land screen up, discovering that there is a tiny crack but nothing that can't be repaired.

I'm not sure what you were expecting (don't read that in a sarcastic way!) but you would have done well to get higher than that, and absolutely superbly to have gotten 80 or above, slightly depending on what subject you study as well. (Eg with Maths, it's perfectly 'possible', albeit very unrealistic, to get 90%+ overall) whereas other subjects may be hindered by doing essay based questions and coursework that seems to be impossible to get very high marks in).

You'd have to have a look and see how much of a step up third year is at your uni/subject, but I think a lot of people would be envious of your position, and if you do whatever you did this year (perhaps a bit more, as it'll likely require more from you than this year) then you're perfectly on track and there isn't a huge amount to be worried about.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Damaged... in some sense of the word, I guess, it would have 'damaged' your chances as much as dropping a phone from a small height and being unlucky enough for it to land screen up, discovering that there is a tiny crack but nothing that can't be repaired.

I'm not sure what you were expecting (don't read that in a sarcastic way!) but you would have done well to get higher than that, and absolutely superbly to have gotten 80 or above, slightly depending on what subject you study as well. (Eg with Maths, it's perfectly 'possible', albeit very unrealistic, to get 90%+ overall) whereas other subjects may be hindered by doing essay based questions and coursework that seems to be impossible to get very high marks in).

You'd have to have a look and see how much of a step up third year is at your uni/subject, but I think a lot of people would be envious of your position, and if you do whatever you did this year (perhaps a bit more, as it'll likely require more from you than this year) then you're perfectly on track and there isn't a huge amount to be worried about.

Very good advice, thank you for your input!
You must be the only person I've ever heard of who thinks that getting a first in second year could damage their chances of getting a first overall. You can literally do WORSE than you did this year and graduate with a first. You're in a good position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending