The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OloMed
If I spelt Nucleophilic as 'Nucleophillic' , will I get penalised?

Somebody please come up with a mark scheme

I've never seen incorrect spellings lose marks in any of the chemistry past papers so I think you'll be fine, then again it was such a different paper to the others I guess anything could be on that damn markscheme!!
Original post by Anno007
It's not correct because it doesn't have a triplet peak at 3.1-3.9

There must be a -COCH2CH2-

Triplet Peak at 3.1-3.9 is the CH2 group next to the alcohol I believe
I think the grade boundaries have to be lower than last years.. unless this year is filled with a bunch of geniuses then I don't see how the grade boundaries can go up. Last year was 85/100 for an A* and the paper wasn't even that tricky..

The formatting was different, so many tricky one markers here and there that required a lot of time to answer. Pretty sure only the best of the best in the country would have got all the marks from the last question because not only was it disgustingly unfair, it was also at the end of a paper which took quite some time to finish.

Hoping for 83/100 for A* and like 76/100 for an A
Original post by Rabadon
o-ch2 was a triplet though..

Oops, I've done a typo. The CH2 is in the wrong place.
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Thank you kind sir! I hope the invigilators in my school do this omg

Deep Breaths. It'll all be fine
Original post by lishakb97
someone in my sixth form once wrote the wrong candidate number on her paper and the exam office called her up to tell her and they changed it for her, don't worry i'm sure it will be ok you wrote everything else anyway

Thank you! I really hope so :frown:
Could I put Ni and hydrogen with high pressure instead of LiAlH4 for the reduction of the hydroxynitrile to the amine question?
Original post by BeckaH2
I've never seen incorrect spellings lose marks in any of the chemistry past papers so I think you'll be fine, then again it was such a different paper to the others I guess anything could be on that damn markscheme!!

Original post by Ukrainian Doctor
It is KCN with some acid because you need H+ ions. I do not know where people are getting the idea that it is in ethanolic solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The alcohol is what gives you the hydrogen. Ethanolic solution isn't a term they like, but ethanolic/alcohol is required.
Reply 1229
I am so depressed, this paper was nothing like all the other past papers ive done. I usually get A's in the past papers but i'll be lucky if i've even got a C in this! Someone please make an unofficial mark scheme so that i know how many marks ive lost
Reply 1230
Original post by RME11
The polyester polymer was stronger due to permanent dipole-dipole being a stronger IMF between chains than the polypropene's VDW forces - which is why it is better for stitches.

Damn, I wrote that it can be hydrolysed because it is polar, so it does not have to be removed, unlike the other polymer which is non-polar :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ishabennett
I'm not going to get an A in chemistry because of that paper

Same really gutted.. need to smash chem 5 for any chance
Original post by FormlessBowl
The NO3 was a -

The acid salt had 1 less oxygen and was a +

The carboxylic acid just accepts an H+, it doesn't loose an O - where would it go?

Google the question too, the products are NO3- and CH3COOH2+
Reply 1233
man i barely think i got 40 on that exam how the hell am i gonna do chem 5.
Anyone else 100% genuinely think their grade will be at like 4 grades lower than their predict because of this paper? I wrote like 3 words for the 9 marker, just couldn't make sense of it after so many pages of rubbish, brainf**king questions *criesss*. I think chem5 will be just as bad because it's written by the same people isn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
How many makrs do you think will I get for syaing the structure of R was

ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c(ch3)2-oh? Providing all my working is there?
Original post by FormlessBowl
The NO3 was a -

The acid salt had 1 less oxygen and was a +

Are you sure no2 has a negative charge because in friedl crafts acylation, h2so4 also acts as a base: h2so4 + hno3 ---> no2+ +h2o + hso4-
And no2+ is formed
Original post by Kay Fearn
I think the grade boundaries have to be lower than last years.. unless this year is filled with a bunch of geniuses then I don't see how the grade boundaries can go up. Last year was 85/100 for an A* and the paper wasn't even that tricky..

The formatting was different, so many tricky one markers here and there that required a lot of time to answer. Pretty sure only the best of the best in the country would have got all the marks from the last question because not only was it disgustingly unfair, it was also at the end of a paper which took quite some time to finish.

Hoping for 83/100 for A* and like 76/100 for an A

Hopefully lower! 80/100 A*, 72 A ! ?
Original post by chloeabeki
I put: D 1st, E 2nd

Correct
Original post by Fibsy
Damn, I wrote that it can be hydrolysed because it is polar, so it does not have to be removed, unlike the other polymer which is non-polar :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

did the same lol. now realise why would you want to hyydrolyse the stitches xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending