The Student Room Group

OCR French A2

Hi!

I know I am a minority here doing OCR, but how are fellow linguists feeling about the exam tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ForcaPortugal
Hi!

I know I am a minority here doing OCR, but how are fellow linguists feeling about the exam tomorrow?

I just did it. How did you find it?
I feel that it went well thanks! The writing essay I did was about Chomage!! Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ForcaPortugal
I feel that it went well thanks! The writing essay I did was about Chomage!! Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pollution one. I think it well overall. Didn't know how to translate a word into English it started with a b and needed in eur. I also didn't know what chimere meant and then there were some questions I wasn't too sure about what and how much they were asking for.
Yeah I completely agree! I think my essay will make up for the translation which was unusually tough?! That whole passage was plain weird! Classic OCR 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean about minority! I'm the only one in my class and it's such a struggle trying to find others also on OCR (can tell why they won't be running languages after the qual change!) but in terms of the exam, I thought it was okay! Really bizarre subject matter this year though (and I took the AS Resit, as well, so it was doubly weird what with all the volcano parks, cat cafés, Albert's suicide, the Chinese and IVF and International Forest Day)! I also didn't know what a chimere was and the translation was not fun but I think I managed it alright - my least favourite part was the listening on the workplace equality, for some reason I really struggled. I answered the essay on pollution and the individual so that was... interesting. Just hoping everything else was good and I used enough subjunctive to drag me through!
Reply 6
Original post by hgreylock
I know what you mean about minority! I'm the only one in my class and it's such a struggle trying to find others also on OCR (can tell why they won't be running languages after the qual change!) but in terms of the exam, I thought it was okay! Really bizarre subject matter this year though (and I took the AS Resit, as well, so it was doubly weird what with all the volcano parks, cat cafés, Albert's suicide, the Chinese and IVF and International Forest Day)! I also didn't know what a chimere was and the translation was not fun but I think I managed it alright - my least favourite part was the listening on the workplace equality, for some reason I really struggled. I answered the essay on pollution and the individual so that was... interesting. Just hoping everything else was good and I used enough subjunctive to drag me through!

I think I used the subjunctive twice but I used a variety of tenses. I don't think you have to put it in every sentence. In my mocks I got 41/45 and 45/45 with maybe using the subjunctive once. I ran out of space for my essay so I used the additional space at the back. I wasn't sure what question number was to put in the margin but I put "Section C: writing" at the the top of page so hopefully it's fine. I crossed out so many words and uses asterisks throughout the exam paper so it's a bit of mess. Hopefully they don't deduct marks for that. If say possibly my writing was out of the scanned box would they just mark my original copy? Also what did you put for "de pointe"? I put "a la mode" but now I'm thinking that it was "prestigieuse". Funny thing for the find the exact equivalent question I was looking at the wrong text for 5 mins before realising. I was like wow this is really hard and these are normally the free marks. What did you write in your essay? I'm not sure if I was relevant enough. First paragraph I talked about oil spills and the media, second paragraph I talked about nuclear energy protests and alternatives and finally for the third paragraph talked about waste and measures the government put in place. Then I concluded of course.
PS: Sorry this is so long :wink:
Original post by target21859
I think I used the subjunctive twice but I used a variety of tenses. I don't think you have to put it in every sentence. In my mocks I got 41/45 and 45/45 with maybe using the subjunctive once. I ran out of space for my essay so I used the additional space at the back. I wasn't sure what question number was to put in the margin but I put "Section C: writing" at the the top of page so hopefully it's fine. I crossed out so many words and uses asterisks throughout the exam paper so it's a bit of mess. Hopefully they don't deduct marks for that. If say possibly my writing was out of the scanned box would they just mark my original copy? Also what did you put for "de pointe"? I put "a la mode" but now I'm thinking that it was "prestigieuse". Funny thing for the find the exact equivalent question I was looking at the wrong text for 5 mins before realising. I was like wow this is really hard and these are normally the free marks. What did you write in your essay? I'm not sure if I was relevant enough. First paragraph I talked about oil spills and the media, second paragraph I talked about nuclear energy protests and alternatives and finally for the third paragraph talked about waste and measures the government put in place. Then I concluded of course.
PS: Sorry this is so long :wink:

Haha, no worries - mine was long enough! I think I used the subjunctive like 3 or 4 times but only because it was necessary in the sentence not just to throw it in because that makes essays sound so funny. I'm sure it'll be fine and they probably will, I'd say, because I'm not sure they scan them all - requests for marked papers for AS last year came back as the original copies with marks! I also put a la mode but I was equally as unsure - oh well! And yeah, I looked at it thinking it was one of those think of your own synonym activities and was confused when I couldn't see the words in the text and then realised! I talked about the day without cars that Paris had and the levels of pollution that lowered when it occurred, my imaginary neighbours who littered all the time (lmao) and didn't recycle and just some other bits and pieces like figures on Paris and stuff. Oh, of course, what's an essay without a conclusion :wink:
I found the exam quite tough .. particularly the reading part about scams. The essay choices weren't great either .. What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 9
I found it harder than the past papers I had done but I think they'll maybe be a bit lower than last year's hopefully. I think it was harder than last year's personally.
I felt like that translation was so much harder than others that I had practiced! So glad that I'm not the only one, damn it Nigeria and your hackers :')
Original post by jasminepartingto
I felt like that translation was so much harder than others that I had practiced! So glad that I'm not the only one, damn it Nigeria and your hackers :':wink:

Oh yeah the translation was awful! Mine didn't make any sense at all, I probably got 3/10 for that one !!!
Original post by KATIE6464646464
Oh yeah the translation was awful! Mine didn't make any sense at all, I probably got 3/10 for that one !!!

I had a complete blank on so much of the vocab :') Never mind, I found the essay pretty good! I did the unemployment one, which one did you do?
Original post by jasminepartingto
I had a complete blank on so much of the vocab :':wink: Never mind, I found the essay pretty good! I did the unemployment one, which one did you do?

Me too .. and some of the words I had never seen before! Was the unemployment one good? it looked alright .. I did the environment one where you were moving to a city and had to talk about environmental awareness .. it was ok but not really what i wanted! I really don't think I have got a better grade than last year annoyingly :frown:
Me too .. and some of the words I had never seen before! Was the unemployment one good? it looked alright .. I did the environment one where you were moving to a city and had to talk about environmental awareness .. it was ok but not really what i wanted! I really don't think I have got a better grade than last year annoyingly :frown:

I'm the same, did that question because pollution was my strongest subject but really would have preferred nuclear energy or an essay-essay if you get what I mean, rather than writing an article!
Original post by hgreylock
I'm the same, did that question because pollution was my strongest subject but really would have preferred nuclear energy or an essay-essay if you get what I mean, rather than writing an article!

Exactly! And I have no idea what the other pollution essay title was on about.. when i first saw it i was so scared! At least the other one was broad enough to include pollution too! Yeah nuclear energy or energy resources would have been ideal!!
Had to create an account just to comment - found the exam pretty tough today. That translation was incredibly hard. Also did the chomage essay, knowing it would be popular and therefore maybe harder to score top marks, but still better than others imo. Surprised to hear people only putting a couple subjunctive in; my teacher wanted us to do as much as possible, so maybe I did about 10 or more clauses throughout the paper (even one in listening). Didn't find the IVF babies reading too hard, but it wasn't an easy one. The rest of the scam reading wasn't easy either, especially the whole 'why did he send the money and why did he want to help' or whatever it was. Though I did find the word matching/synonyms easier (on both readings) than I have seen in other past papers. Also, I answered avant-garde for that multiple choice question; so now we have all three answers :P - a la pointe - at the forefront/experimental, no? Just my two cents :biggrin:
Exactly! And I have no idea what the other pollution essay title was on about.. when i first saw it i was so scared! At least the other one was broad enough to include pollution too! Yeah nuclear energy or energy resources would have been ideal!!

We were in the exact same boat - I was so prepared for pollution and I saw that question and my heart sank! Wasn't super happy with my choice but at least it was there - would have cried right there in the exam hall if not, haha!
Original post by alexgm101
Had to create an account just to comment - found the exam pretty tough today. That translation was incredibly hard. Also did the chomage essay, knowing it would be popular and therefore maybe harder to score top marks, but still better than others imo. Surprised to hear people only putting a couple subjunctive in; my teacher wanted us to do as much as possible, so maybe I did about 10 or more clauses throughout the paper (even one in listening). Didn't find the IVF babies reading too hard, but it wasn't an easy one. The rest of the scam reading wasn't easy either, especially the whole 'why did he send the money and why did he want to help' or whatever it was. Though I did find the word matching/synonyms easier (on both readings) than I have seen in other past papers. Also, I answered avant-garde for that multiple choice question; so now we have all three answers :P - a la pointe - at the forefront/experimental, no? Just my two cents :biggrin:

Thanks for commenting.. nice knowing what other people thought! Yeah throughout the paper I probably put about 6 or 7 subjunctives! Yeah I agree with the readings.. the one about scamming was also a lot longer than previous readings i thought.. a lot of material to get through! And that translation was so so so much harder than previous papers!!! Hahaha avant-garde was probably correct then .. ! :smile: I put prestigiouse unfortunately..
Original post by alexgm101

Oddly enough, despite the general consensus, I quite liked the translation? (Does that mean I've translated it all wrong?) And I read an examiner's report which discussed the unnatural usage of subjunctive and so I tried to use as many as I could fluidly without disrupting the natural flow of my essay, if you know what I mean? Using plenty well though will probably snag a load more marks - it's just that line which I'm afraid to cross! And to be honest, I had no idea for most of the synonym stuff so you're probably right - the more I think about it though, the more marks I've lost :frown: Ah well, praying my resit gains a good mark to haul my A2 through!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending