The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyspider
This is wrong unfortunately, it is correct information and you will get Knowledge marks for the point but you won't add any marks to the main essay content marking section.

"This is wrong unfortunately, it is correct information" ????????????????????
Original post by plxntsoul
We were never taught ecosystems :frown:( I think i woudve loved it though

its weird because learning it, I absolutely hated it!! It wasn't even that bad, I just found it really boring at the time hahah
Original post by Megann_0104
Hi, to everyone that was concerned/worried about the World Cities 10 marker, I spoke to my teacher who knows the exam officer and she said that any case study related to regeneration/redevelopment of a town or city will get you the marks regardless of if it is a partnership scheme etc. Therefore, case studies on Liverpool One, St Stephens Shopping Centre, Hull and Doncaster Frenchgate centre etc. would all get you the marks!

On the other hand, London Docklands, Westfield etc. are all inner city areas and therefore would not qualify and so the examiners report from 2013 may very well read the same again in 206 if people have chosen these examples!

Hope this helps and sorry to dishearten any one who may have done the wrong case study :smile:

Hi Megann, sorry I know you put this up a while ago, but I'm just wondering, I did say partnership scheme, and I wrote about Hulme (inner city area) but I think I just said 'Manchester City Centre' and didn't mention that it was an inner city area, do you think I will still get the marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any unit 4 predictions??

Posted from TSR Mobile
It has to be statistical skills surely? My teacher predicts ICT though as it would be a first, so who knows.
Original post by hpiercey3
It has to be statistical skills surely? My teacher predicts ICT though as it would be a first, so who knows.

I'm thinking statistical techniques too! What do you mean by Ict ?? Like os maps etc?
Original post by L1lly
I'm thinking statistical techniques too! What do you mean by Ict ?? Like os maps etc?

Spearmans rank perhaps? Do we need to know Wilcoxin? Yeah ICT so OS maps, Google Earth, images etc :smile: and GIS very important!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Goulden_J
The World Cities 10 mark question is arguably the most poorly worded and ambiguous question I have ever faced in an exam: "With reference to one or more examples, evaluate the impact of measures to regenerate town or city centres".

As can be seen from the specification points "Urban decline and regeneration within urban areas" and "Retailing and other services": http://imgur.com/7wxW8cM, there is no mention of 'regeneration' regarding city centres on the specification.

Therefore, using the specification, the question is open to two very contrasting interpretations:

1) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'regeneration', but risk getting 0/10 since there is no reference to specifically 'regeneration' with regards to 'city centres' on the specification.

OR

2) Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'city centres', but risk getting 0/10 since 'city centres' are only mentioned on the specification with regards to 'redevelopment' and NOT 'regeneration'.

This is an absolutely disgraceful question here, not only because the examiners knew it caused issues back in Jan 2013 (this is even MORE ambiguous) but also because the previous question (concerning urban decline) suggests that the 10 marker should have been answered regarding 'regeneration' and NOT 'redevelopment of city centres'.

Personally, I used Park Hill (a regeneration scheme) but I very fearful (like many other people), that I will get 0/10 since it isn't specifically a 'city centre'. If anyone has anymore thoughts on this question please reply to me as I am very concerned right now. Thanks

I completely agree - it was so ambiguous. I personally used St Stephen's retail centre in Hull, so a city centre scheme and that was because I saw "regeneration" and "city centre". Completely see your point though about how they've mixed up regeneration and redevelopment, though.
Original post by markwedwards98
I completely agree - it was so ambiguous. I personally used St Stephen's retail centre in Hull, so a city centre scheme and that was because I saw "regeneration" and "city centre". Completely see your point though about how they've mixed up regeneration and redevelopment, though.

are regeneration and redevelopment not synonyms??
can someone help me?
for that WC 10 marker - talked about London docklands, canary wharf and canning town. I will lose marks there but will I get marks for talking about the impacts still? I wrote that it's a lot for the tax payer, doesn't always involve the residence and the new jobs go to new more affluent residents? I also talked about competition between local authorities due to partnerships schemes and that the money is used for competitive advantage and not needs.
Thanks!!!!
anyone found out anything on item 4; if yasmina beebeejuan is biased or not? cant seem to find anything
Original post by Amber_7221
can someone help me?
for that WC 10 marker - talked about London docklands, canary wharf and canning town. I will lose marks there but will I get marks for talking about the impacts still? I wrote that it's a lot for the tax payer, doesn't always involve the residence and the new jobs go to new more affluent residents? I also talked about competition between local authorities due to partnerships schemes and that the money is used for competitive advantage and not needs.
Thanks!!!!

no unfortunately, when the same question appeared in Jan 13 35% of the people who did it got zero / 10 for this exact reason.
sorry for the bad news but i bet you aced the rest of the paper so youll be fine. :smile:
Original post by Kaya22
no unfortunately, when the same question appeared in Jan 13 35% of the people who did it got zero / 10 for this exact reason.
sorry for the bad news but i bet you aced the rest of the paper so youll be fine. :smile:

Its not the same question. Generally , when questions have 'with reference to one or more examples' they are looking for the general impacts and evaluation . The question wasn't specifically asking for you to talk about just case studies. I think you would get marks for giving positive and negative impacts of city centre redevelopment, and extra credit for referring to suitable examples.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Did no one do the ecosystems essay?

I only included 4 case studies in it (not sure if that's enough and I only wrote about the savanna grasslands biome 😕 and Kenya and Tanzania)...

I can't find the exact page mine was on (only a few pages before this) but I wrote the Ecosystems essay.

I found the link to the post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65607195&highlight=

probably a bit late on this sorry!
Original post by CLGC98
are regeneration and redevelopment not synonyms??

well that's what i thought, hence why I took more notice of the "city centre" than the fact it said regeneration not redevelopment.
Original post by CLGC98
Its not the same question. Generally , when questions have 'with reference to one or more examples' they are looking for the general impacts and evaluation . The question wasn't specifically asking for you to talk about just case studies. I think you would get marks for giving positive and negative impacts of city centre redevelopment, and extra credit for referring to suitable examples.

you could only get max 2 out of 10 without examples. As it especially asks for examples in the question.
you cant really do the question without case study detail as examples are completely individual to the city centre redevelopment.
Any geog4a predictions ??
Original post by Jamestanben

im hoping ICT as it's never been up, but if not that then statistical as it hasnt been up in a few years
Original post by Jamestanben

GIS, Apparently spearmans came up AS so won't in this paper. Other than that I've got nothing an have been looking for hours.
Original post by GeoHumphreys
GIS, Apparently spearmans came up AS so won't in this paper. Other than that I've got nothing an have been looking for hours.

hm, but last year desire lines were on the AS paper and then came up for the a2 paper. so i would still prep for spearmans :smile:

I've been looking at all the papers and there's no pattern which is :/ hoping ict comes up anyway

Quick Reply

Latest