The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krishanj
For why salicylic acid was sparingly soluble what did you guys put?
For the differences between acid and base i put that with the base you can separate by adding by acid, but when you hydrolyse with acid you have to separate using distillation :redface:
I also put that ammonia is corrosive instead of saying toxic :frown:

i talked about how the benzene ring was non-polar and that the london forces existing between benzene rings of other salicylic acid molecules would be stronger than the hydrogen bonds that could form with water
Original post by jess.olo
I messed up the titration curve too omg! :frown: 5 marks. I really want an A* as well. And for the entropy one, I said Ssurr will be a slightly less positive value since temperature has slightly increased. I said Ssys will remain the same and so Stotal will decrease by a small amount. ? I can't even remember

S sur becomes less negative, S system constant and S total becomes more positive I think
But i messed that up and thought T was decreased
Original post by primadonnas
i talked about how the benzene ring was non-polar and that the london forces existing between benzene rings of other salicylic acid molecules would be stronger than the hydrogen bonds that could form with water

Well it was still kinda soluble so they didn't overpower completely
half equivalence?

So pH=pKa1?
Original post by C0balt
S sur becomes less negative, S system constant and S total becomes more positive I think
But i messed that up and thought T was decreased

sorry becomes less negative yes! s total more positive yes
Do you guys think the grade boundaries will be high or low this year?
well I thought that was harder than usual. Not really hard but Im pretty sure I was never told we had to learn how to draw a Diprotic neutralisation.....or is that just me be badly prepared?
Original post by sayshay
So pH=pKa1?

Yeah so i said at volume which is half of the volume at first equvalence, pH=pKa1
Original post by Tomasio
well I thought that was harder than usual. Not really hard but Im pretty sure I was never told we had to learn how to draw a Diprotic neutralisation.....or is that just me be badly prepared?

That question was hard. Really edexcel. They had the same type of question in the IAL chem exam as well.
Reply 1229
For the value of k where you have to use e, the value is 5.02x10^-3 (3sf)
Original post by Tomasio

I would have thought the same but thank god I watched this YouTube video and it walked me through exactly how to do it for the reaction we were given in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladymusiclover
That question was hard. Really edexcel. They had the same type of question in the IAL chem exam as well.
well I put the two pka's at 12.5cm and 37.5cm, I also did 2 Vertical regions. Finally asymptoting off just below ph 13 for the remaining 50cm of excass naoh that was added.
Was kind of making it up as I was going along on that one!! so excuse me if my answer is pile of crap.
What was the general consensus on the paper then?
Yeah so i said at volume which is half of the volume at first equvalence, pH=pKa1

Okay I didn't go into that much detail lol but that sounds right. It was only one mark wasn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomasio
well I put the two pka's at 12.5cm and 37.5cm, I also did 2 Vertical regions. Finally asymptoting off just below ph 13 for the remaining 50cm of excass naoh that was added.
Was kind of making it up as I was going along on that one!! so excuse me if my answer is pile of crap.

I completely messed up on the titration question.I'll probably get one or two marks then. I thought overall the paper was decent but they did have those tricky 3 markers here and there. Some people complained about the lnk question since it was above GCSE level. I hope the grade boundaries will be slightly. low.
The lnK question was really weird. I was like, 'what's the opposite of ln?'. I didn't do A level maths so I didn't understand it.
I said Bacl2 was poisonous when soluble when consumed. I should have just said it was toxic. Dammit.
Original post by Tomasio

Why were the equivalence points at 12.5cm and 37.5cm? I think I put 25 and 50cm :s-smilie:
Reply 1237
Original post by Beautywithabrain
What did people get for the one where you had to use a2 maths?

It was e^Stotal/R = k
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4165265#primary_content check out this thread. It's so funny and good! :bl:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I said Bacl2 was poisonous when soluble when consumed. I should have just said it was toxic. Dammit.

You should get the mark
Original post by sayshay
Why were the equivalence points at 12.5cm and 37.5cm? I think I put 25 and 50cm :s-smilie:

That's right
12.5 ans 37. 5 is half neutralisation point where pH=pKa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending