The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

I didn't like the lactic acid questions- especially the one about stitches!
Reply 2201
For the first question it was the THIRD fatty acid. The question asked which is 'most LIKELY' to cause heart disease. The third fatty acid is most LIKELY to have at least one trans bond, and therefore most likely to be a trans fatty acid. It is TRANS FATTY ACIDS that act like SATURATED FATS. Key point to note here is there is a difference between TRANS FATS and TRANS FATTY ACIDS.
Original post by GetOverHere
I think it'd be 1 for the COOH, and another for the correct double bond, then perhaps they'll limit you to one if you didn't draw it skeletally.

Ah, I drew it skeletally ( interchangable too) but just forgot the COOH, everything was correct apart from the damn COOH lol
Original post by Cal 1
For the first question it was the THIRD fatty acid. The question asked which is 'most LIKELY' to cause heart disease. The third fatty acid is most LIKELY to have at least one trans bond, and therefore most likely to be a trans fatty acid. It is TRANS FATTY ACIDS that act like SATURATED FATS. Key point to note here is there is a difference between TRANS FATS and TRANS FATTY ACIDS.

Idk man... how many marks was it? 2 right?
Original post by 24u5owehjr34uoer
Ah, I drew it skeletally ( interchangable too) but just forgot the COOH, everything was correct apart from the damn COOH lol

I think you may not get the marks if I'm honest, because the name is dependent on where the double bond is situated, and because the counting starts from the COOH part, it's unclear which end is where your COOH would have been, if that makes sense? I may be wrong but that's what it seems like to me.
what would happen if you drew the correct compound in the wrong box

1 /5char

The stearic acid was a saturated fatty acid so it is more unhealthy.
For the Proton NMR question when you had to fill in the table what did everyone get?? I didnt really know how to do it and cant remember but i think my asnwers involved 3 3 and 2 for the three relative peak areas... is that even close to correct?
Original post by GetOverHere
1 /5char

1 /5char?
Reply 2210
Original post by Randall13
The stearic acid was a saturated fatty acid so it is more unhealthy.

False. Saturated fats are bad. Not necessarily saturated fatty ACIDS. Trans fatty acids are bad. Doesn't mention about saturated fatty acids.
Reply 2211
Original post by Cal 1

but the first acid was saturated so surely that would be the most likely
What do people think 54/60 will get me? I'm thinking 85/90 UMS?
Reply 2213
Original post by hbk1

Re-read what I wrote, but pay particular attention to the fact that saturated fats(which are bad) and saturated fatty acids are different.
Original post by hbk1

I remember in a past paper is asked why the Triglyceride was bad and the answer was "One of the fatty ACIDS are Trans." Hence, if we extrapolate that logic to this exam question, it is the Saturated Fatty Acid as that is the only fatty acid that can end up causing a saturated fat that definitely increases risk of CHR. The Unsaturated Fatty Acid will not necessarily form a TRANS Fat and hence the third fatty acid is wrong. The First Fatty acid is right.
Reply 2215
Original post by Cal 1
Re-read what I wrote, but pay particular attention to the fact that saturated fats(which are bad) and saturated fatty acids are different.

oh okay i see. what did you put for the stitches question?
Original post by Cal 1

Finally. Was going to say but so many went for 1 didn't want a barrage.
image.jpgDid anyone get this for the impurity formed?
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.18.27.png

Previous mark scheme for the 2-aminopropanol question.
Presumably this means that if I put 'ethanolic ammonia and reflux', I'll still get the mark?
Regarding the dissolvable stitches: C=O absorbs infrared radiation which causes it to be broken down into CO2 and H2O as its biodegradable.

I'm not sure of the marking points but the C=O absorbing IR radiation is mentioned on the spec.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending