The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
Anyone offer some help with part F of this question please? I know this was in your paper @Zacken - any help please? Thank you!

You are told that c = Q3 + 1.5(Q3 - Q1)
So find Q3 (part b) and Q1 (part a)
Put the numbers into the equation.
Similarly for d (d = Q1 - 1.5(Q3 - Q1)
Anyone offer some help with part F of this question please? I know this was in your paper @Zacken - any help please? Thank you!

0.25 is the probability that exactly two candidates get a merit.

So that 0.25^2. What's the probability that exactly 1 candidate passes but doesn't get a merit.

Multiply that by 0.25^2 and then account for the # of ways this count happen.
Original post by asinghj
You are told that c = Q3 + 1.5(Q3 - Q1)
So find Q3 (part b) and Q1 (part a)
Put the numbers into the equation.
Similarly for d (d = Q1 - 1.5(Q3 - Q1)

Person specifically asked for Q2(f).
What do you do in questions where the data changes and you have to show the effect on standard deviation, the correlation coefficient, Sxy... etc.

https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

Example here is 3f
For S1, there's types of questions where they state a number has been added or reduced. And then it asks you to state the effect made on the standard deviation, mean, IQR etc? Can someone please explain to me how to do these type of questions😩 I don't understand
Original post by Zacken
0.25 is the probability that exactly two candidates get a merit.

So that 0.25^2. What's the probability that exactly 1 candidate passes but doesn't get a merit.

Multiply that by 0.25^2 and then account for the # of ways this count happen.

Yeah I get that - I've got 3[0.25^2 * 0.75?] I can't see how it's (0.75-0.25) properly however? I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it
Original post by Zacken
Person specifically asked for Q2(f).

Oh yeah, he had part c highlighted so I thought that was part f 😂😂😂
Are we allowed to draw Normal and Standard Distribution diagrams in pencil for the exam?
Yeah I get that - I've got 3[0.25^2 * 0.75?] I can't see how it's (0.75-0.25) properly however? I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it

But 0.75 includes the probability that the third person gets a merit as well, in which case you'd get 3 merit marks when the question specifically wants exactly 2 merit marks. So the probability that the third person passes but does not get a merit is 0.75 - 0.25
Original post by Philip-flop
Are we allowed to draw Normal and Standard Distribution diagrams in pencil for the exam?

Yes.
Original post by Zacken
But 0.75 includes the probability that the third person gets a merit as well, in which case you'd get 3 merit marks when the question specifically wants exactly 2 merit marks. So the probability that the third person passes but does not get a merit is 0.75 - 0.25

But, why -0.25? Why not -0.01 or whatever? I'm being really stupid here I'm sure
Is p(a' n b') the same as p(a' u b')
Original post by asinghj
January 2016 IAL was quite challenging.

where did you get that paper from, i check edexcel website but login required ._.
But, why -0.25? Why not -0.01 or whatever? I'm being really stupid here I'm sure

75% pass the exam (this also includes getting a merit as they still pass)

Getting a merit is 25% of students

So just to pass and no merit is 0.75-0.25=0.5
Original post by anndz3007
where did you get that paper from, i check edexcel website but login required ._.

Here, Jan 16 attached
Here, Jan 16 attached

Markscheme
Here, Jan 16 attached

omg thank you so muchhh, gonna do it and june 15 tonight to prepare for the worst case scenario tmr lol
Original post by metrize

Okay but what I'm saying is even if they got 74% they'd still pass, but not get a merit, right? I'm a little bit confused...
Okay but what I'm saying is even if they got 74% they'd still pass, but not get a merit, right? I'm a little bit confused...

it say that 25% get merit, and i think you can only get merit once you passed, so those 25% is included in the 75%
Reply 519
Original post by metrize

I dont understand the logic behind this either :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending