The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

The official thread to discuss the 2016 S1 AS Exam!

Exam date: Friday 15th June
Time: 9 AM
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Resources:

ExamSolution S1 Lessons
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/S1/module.php

HegartyMaths S1 Lessons
http://mathswebsite.com/a-level/edexcel/statistics-1

S1 Past Papers (2001 - 2014)
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/s1-edexcel/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/January%202011%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

Jan 11 paper, Q5b: for the mean, I understand that sigma t is already given but if i were to calculate sigma ft by multiplying the midpoints of time and frequency shouldnt i get 1414?
Have u guys finished reviding for s1 . If not how much prep have u done
Original post by blessed107
Have u guys finished reviding for s1 . If not how much prep have u done

I've gone and done the papers from 2004-2007 so far. S1 seems to be a bit of a hit or miss for me. I just got a B on last year's paper.
Guys there is some excellent Crash courses being taught at Birmingham Tuition Centre. Edexcel S1 and M1 Taught in 12 hours throughly over two days. Students in previous years have found very useful and gained 90+ ums
For sd calculations, e.g. when a guy measures the height of 50 trees and records them or whatever, surely the S3 sd unbiased estimate formula applies??
Who's just started revising s1 then? Focused on C1 and C2 now it's go time :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Honeystone
Who's just started revising s1 then? Focused on C1 and C2 now it's go time :colondollar:

Haven't started yet.
Original post by Nikhilm
For sd calculations, e.g. when a guy measures the height of 50 trees and records them or whatever, surely the S3 sd unbiased estimate formula applies??

Could you give an actual example of that? I guess the answer to your question would be no :tongue: but it'd be interesting to see.
Reply 9
Original post by 4nonymous
Haven't started yet.

Same...probs going to focus on biology and chemistry:colondollar:
Reply 10
Hello, can someone help me with this question please, I tried using the comparing formula, but I still got the answer wrong. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
image.jpg
Original post by H-D
Hello, can someone help me with this question please, I tried using the comparing formula, but I still got the answer wrong. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
image.jpg

What have you tried? (How have you compared them?
Reply 12
[QUOTE=SeanFM;65277945]What have you tried? (How have you compared them?

image.pngI tried using these formulas
Original post by H-D
image.pngI tried using these formulas

Right, so what numbers/calculations have you done for this question?
Reply 14
Original post by H-D
image.jpg

Look at the base first 0-4 is represented by 0.5cm. So 0.5/4 =0.125cm. Each age is represented by 0.125cm
Now take the population 260/0.5 = 520. This would be the vertical scale, but we can now see that we are using a scale of 1/100 to get the height.

Lets try the first question 16-44. This gives a width of 28. 28 x 0.125 = 3.5cm
Now the height 1727/3.5 =493.4
Divide by a 100 gives a height of 4.9cm
Hope this helps
How does everyone feel this paper will be?
Reply 16
Original post by Walkerz7
How does everyone feel this paper will be?

It is not hard, everyone says its hard but it actually is not. The main problem is not reading/interpreting the question right OR if you make one silly mistake such a significant figure or even not typing into the calculator, it can cost you a lot of marks bc part a usually carries onto part b etc etc (Ofc you get ft marks though)

I just recommend you do as many past papers.
Reply 17
Original post by mahmzo
It is not hard, everyone says its hard but it actually is not. The main problem is not reading/interpreting the question right OR if you make one silly mistake such a significant figure or even not typing into the calculator, it can cost you a lot of marks bc part a usually carries onto part b etc etc (Ofc you get ft marks though)

I just recommend you do as many past papers.

Sound

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you dont get an a in this paper you are a failure - 1st time i got 81 with little to no revision (didn't even finish the textbook) resitting to get 100.
Reply 19
Original post by tazza ma razza
if you dont get an a in this paper you are a failure - 1st time i got 81 with little to no revision (didn't even finish the textbook) resitting to get 100.

Why you gotta be so savage LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending