The Student Room Group

Family want to set me up with cousin?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
LMAO "I need to work on myself".

Say exactly that.
this is probably a muslim ting, isn't it
Original post by somemightsay888
Show them pictures of the mutants from Wrong Turn and say you'll end up with grandkids like this if you carry on, should do the trick :h:

My parents are first cousins and I don't look like them :cry2:
Run for the hills as soon as you're financially stable. Run, run and never turn around.
Your family has no right to determine who you must marry. Especially if it's a cousin to whom you are bound to by blood, and by a significant fraction might I add? You're both too closely related.
If running isn't an option, flat out dig your heels into the ground and refuse to go out and marry someone with whom you share such a close common familial ancestor. Find someone you really do like, and ask them out. It'll be harder to force you to marry someone with whom you share so little, especially if you are 'taken'.
Good luck, and best wishes for the future.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
My parents are first cousins and I don't look like them :cry2:

Your kids will probably bear the brunt of it instead then :h:
Original post by sleepysnooze
this is probably a muslim ting, isn't it

Actually pretty common all over the world :smile:

nahhhh, mostly a muslim ting
which part of the world do you think this person is from, for instance?

Not sure :smile:
I'm 21 and my grandparents and aunts and uncles keep trying to set me up with my cousin, and I'm totally weirded out by it.

She's not my cousin cousin - I think she's my "second cousin once removed" if I've worked it out properly. I'm not even attracted to her in the slightest, yet her parents seem to have been doing the matchmaking without my knowledge so when I went to some family reunion a couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden there was this random girl trying to get all over me, who it turns out "is who we've all been telling you about." It was really uncomfortable, and now she's practically stalking me. It's almost as if I've somehow ended up in this committed relationship without even knowing it, and people are confused angry that I haven't returned her (many, MANY calls), as if I'm some guy who keeps avoiding his wife to sneak off and have affairs. I've only been in the same room as her once, and even that was spent making as much conversation with everyone BUT her as possible.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I've no bloody idea what to do. Mainly I want to pack my bags, move to the Alaskan wilderness and hide for the rest of my life. Or am I the one being weird, and it's completely normal to date your second cousin?

In my books, it's a major no-go area and creeps me out. Help!

Mate, move to Alaska

Fresh Snow everywhere

Far from your cousin

AND THE BEST PART:
VAT from shopping products is only 1.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! compare that to our stupid 20%
run away to a far away island and marry a coconut *which i would prefer* than marry ur cousin
Reply 50
Original post by PrincessBO$$
run away to a far away island and marry a coconut *which i would prefer* than marry ur cousin

Yeah, in the words of the plusnet bloke:

"pack a sack, move to the woods and become a full-time off-grid spoon whittler"

H

Not sure :smile:

Lol what a racist!

I'm an Athiest, white, British, middle class grad student. My dad's side of the family are pretty old fashioned and run a load of farms up in the north end of Lancashire. Their family has been running the same land for generations, they don't really mix outside of the local village and hamlets.

Islam doesn't come into the picture in any way shape or form. So put that in your shisha and smoke it.
Lol what a racist!

I'm an Athiest, white, British, middle class grad student. My dad's side of the family are pretty old fashioned and run a load of farms up in the north end of Lancashire. Their family has been running the same land for generations, they don't really mix outside of the local village and hamlets.

Islam doesn't come into the picture in any way shape or form. So put that in your shisha and smoke it.

Aye, you're actually the first Atheist I've met on TSR who's actually speaking common sense :congrats:
LMAO "I need to work on myself".

Don't say that cus she might say that she can wait till your ready
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Coconuts don't talk back to you either. Peace and quiet, finally.
Reply 55
It should be up to you and tell the girl straight up and your parents. If you don't be clear you going to let them think that you don't mind. Good luck.

That was me lol. :u: accidentally put as anon.
I'm 21 and my grandparents and aunts and uncles keep trying to set me up with my cousin, and I'm totally weirded out by it.

She's not my cousin cousin - I think she's my "second cousin once removed" if I've worked it out properly. I'm not even attracted to her in the slightest, yet her parents seem to have been doing the matchmaking without my knowledge so when I went to some family reunion a couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden there was this random girl trying to get all over me, who it turns out "is who we've all been telling you about." It was really uncomfortable, and now she's practically stalking me. It's almost as if I've somehow ended up in this committed relationship without even knowing it, and people are confused angry that I haven't returned her (many, MANY calls), as if I'm some guy who keeps avoiding his wife to sneak off and have affairs. I've only been in the same room as her once, and even that was spent making as much conversation with everyone BUT her as possible.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I've no bloody idea what to do. Mainly I want to pack my bags, move to the Alaskan wilderness and hide for the rest of my life. Or am I the one being weird, and it's completely normal to date your second cousin?

In my books, it's a major no-go area and creeps me out. Help!

goshhhhhh I feel so sorry for you :redface:
Tell them they don't want to wake the dragon.
Worked for another incestuous family I heard of :lol:
x

Pro tip: Pack your bags and move to Narnia!

Original post by h333
Islam is a way of life believed by Muslims to be from God.

that's still an "ideology"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending