The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2260
Original post by johnjims828
trans fats are potentially more damaging than saturated fats as they not only increase ldl levels but they reduce hdl levels according to the spec. I think you could get either fatty acid 1 or 3 depending on your explanation both can be argued

I totally agree. Thanks for clearing this one up.
Reply 2261
I didn't take this but what's the general consensus?
Alright in my opinion
Question 6
f= ch3ch2chohch2ch3
g= chech2coch2ch3
h= ch3ch2cooh
i= ch3ch2cooch((ch3ch2)(ch3ch2ch2))
j= (ch3)3choh, becuase 0.221/2.85x10- = 74
Original post by Cal 1
So do trans fatty acids? why are you in denial? trans fatty acids increase LDL and it is likely that the third will have a trans bond that's all I am saying.

YES, TRANS FATTY ACIDS ARE INCREASE LDL LEVELS - NO ONE IS DENYING THAT IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO WHT EVERYONE ELSE IS WRITING. What we are saying is that the SATURATED FAT - THE FIRST ONE - WILL GUARANTEE FORM A SATURATED FATTY ACID WHICH IS BAD. THE THIRD FATTY ACID MAY OR MAY NOT FORM A TRANS FAT, WHICH IS ALSO BAD, BUT WE CAN'T TELL AND IT'S MORE LIKELY TO BE A CIS FAT BECAUSE THE QUESTION SAID NATURALLY FORMING FATTY ACIDS FOR A REASON AND NATURALLY FORMING FATTY ACIDS ARE USUALLY CIS AND SO WILL FORM CIS FATS.
Anyone got an unofficial mark scheme up?
Original post by S.Ahmad
Both for 3marks.

explain that condensation polymers:
(i) may be photodegradable as the C=O bond absorbs radiation,
(ii) may be hydrolysed at the ester or amide group.

i totally missed out the photodegradable part as i thought the stitches are too small to absorb radiation. all i write after saying that PLA could be hydrolyse is that lactic acid is a liquid, so the stitches would just flow away and dissolve lol, sounds so stupid but i cannot think of other answer.
Original post by Timon512
YES, TRANS FATTY ACIDS ARE INCREASE LDL LEVELS - NO ONE IS DENYING THAT IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO WHT EVERYONE ELSE IS WRITING. What we are saying is that the SATURATED FAT - THE FIRST ONE - WILL GUARANTEE FORM A SATURATED FATTY ACID WHICH IS BAD. THE THIRD FATTY ACID MAY OR MAY NOT FORM A TRANS FAT, WHICH IS ALSO BAD, BUT WE CAN'T TELL AND IT'S MORE LIKELY TO BE A CIS FAT BECAUSE THE QUESTION SAID NATURALLY FORMING FATTY ACIDS FOR A REASON AND NATURALLY FORMING FATTY ACIDS ARE USUALLY CIS AND SO WILL FORM CIS FATS.

calm your farm
Original post by lai812matthew
i totally missed out the photodegradable part as i thought the stitches are too small to absorb radiation. all i write after saying that PLA could be hydrolyse is that lactic acid is a liquid, so the stitches would just flow away and dissolve lol, sounds so stupid but i cannot think of other answer.

Hahaha don't stress, I managed to remember the photodegradable bit, but not the hydrolysis - I'm a mess.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Both for 3marks.

explain that condensation polymers:
(i) may be photodegradable as the C=O bond absorbs radiation,
(ii) may be hydrolysed at the ester or amide group.

Just going to add to this personally I don't think photodegradable is right because it specifically says in text book "c=o absorbs uv radiation when contained in polymer 'backbone'" but this c=o bond wasn't in the backbone so isn't photodegradable...
Original post by Cal 1
So do trans fatty acids? why are you in denial? trans fatty acids increase LDL and it is likely that the third will have a trans bond that's all I am saying.

No it isn't likely, trans fats only super super rarely occur in nature and especially unlikely as if I remember correctly the acid was linoleic acid (otherwise known as Omega - 6 and is an essential fatty acid for health.) - linoleic acid literally is cis cis (although it might be another acid, not entirely sure it was linoleic)
Original post by S.Ahmad
Hahaha don't stress, I managed to remember the photodegradable bit, but not the hydrolysis - I'm a mess.

so let's say each hydrolysis and photodegradable for 1, what would be the last point for.
Original post by CalistaJupiter
Just going to add to this personally I don't think photodegradable is right because it specifically says in text book "c=o absorbs uv radiation when contained in polymer 'backbone'" but this c=o bond wasn't in the backbone so isn't photodegradable...

I can't imagine how hydrolysis would be three marks, that's why I personally think its a viable answer and most likely will be credited for in the markscheme. But I defo agree.
Original post by Cal 1

You guys are arguing over nothing. None of use know the answer 100% but I personally see a flaw with your argument because the question specifies "naturally occurring fatty acids" and the textbook says "naturally occurring unsaturated acids are cis"
For the nylon question asking for the type of condensation polymer do you think theyll accept 'amide' since it asked for the type of condensation polymer inferring poly anyway?
Original post by lai812matthew
so let's say each hydrolysis and photodegradable for 1, what would be the last point for.

Photodegradable --> broken down into CO2 and H2O -MAYBE?
Original post by S.Ahmad
Regarding the dissolvable stitches: C=O absorbs infrared radiation which causes it to be broken down into CO2 and H2O as its biodegradable.

I'm not sure of the marking points but the C=O absorbing IR radiation is mentioned on the spec.

Nah, it doesn't mention in the spec that photodegradable polymers break down into CO2 and H2O. If it were biodegradable then it would.
Original post by 24u5owehjr34uoer
1 /5char?

I'm saying 1, the /5char thing gets me over the character limit.
Original post by S.Ahmad
I can't imagine how hydrolysis would be three marks, that's why I personally think its a viable answer and most likely will be credited for in the markscheme. But I defo agree.

Yeah I could be wrong but I think for the tyre marks it may be 1)condensation polymer is hydrolysed into its monomers 2) cooh and oh bonds 3) firm hydrogen bonds with water

Idk though not trying to cause arguments
Original post by CalistaJupiter

what is a backbone actually.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Photodegradable --> broken down into CO2 and H2O -MAYBE?

My guess was that it also wanted you to talk about hydrogen bonding as lactic acid has highly polar O-H and C=O bonds, hence the part about dissolving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending