The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
You need to read the question. The top 25% of the candidates get a merit.

The top 75% of the candidates get a pass. This 75% includes the 25% getting a merit.

So the middle 50% between 25% and 75% are candidates who pass but don't get a merit.

It has nothing to do with "even if they got 74% they'd pass", the question says absolutely nothing about the marks of the candidates (so how on earth can you say if they got 74% they'd pass??? You don't know that...), simply their ranks. The top 75% get a pass, the top 25% get a pass and a merit. So the 75% - 25% = 50% middle get a pass but not a merit.

Original post by beast709
The people from 25% till the end of the whole box plot are passing. So, from the Q1 to the Q3 is the amount of people passing and from Q3 till the end is the amount of people getting merit. The number of people ONLY passing, is therefore the amount from Q1 to Q3, which is (75-25) = 50%.

Very true.

Thank you guys!
What is the hardest S1 paper out there? Or hardest questions?
Original post by Pink1998
Hi, for last year's June 2015 paper. In the last question they've written P(X>w / X>28)
Is that "/" a divide sign or a "given that" sign?
Thank you

Probably a given that.
Reply 563
Original post by Zacken
Probably a given that.

Hi,

I would appreciate it if you clarify this. Suppose you have a probability of exactly 0.8000 but the only values on the table are 0.7995 and 0.8023 with 0.84 and 0.85 as the corresponding Z values respectively; how would you determine what the Z value is?

Thanks
Original post by SweetChilliCake
What is the hardest S1 paper out there? Or hardest questions?

Try the Gold S1 papers which combine the hardest questions in the spec
Original post by SANTR
Hi,

I would appreciate it if you clarify this. Suppose you have a probability of exactly 0.8000 but the only values on the table are 0.7995 and 0.8023 with 0.84 and 0.85 as the corresponding Z values respectively; how would you determine what the Z value is?

Thanks

The table below the normal distribution table, i.e: the percentage points table gives you the z value to 4 d.p.
Original post by danthebox
ur a ****

cheers :smile:
Hey when do we use class boundaries when doing linear interpolation do we use it for histograms and the table or only the table?
Original post by safhassan
Try the Gold S1 papers which combine the hardest questions in the spec

Thank you. I'm doing 2015 IAL
if you have boundaries of 0-4 is the class width of that data 4.5 or 5 as the upper bound would be 4.5 assuming the next boundary if 5-something. But would you use -0.5 or just 0
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
OK guys,

I've been losing marks on those type of questions that revolve around normal distribution and conditional probability. Here are 2 examples of a similar method for answering. What shall I do when answering these questions?

JUN 13 Q4c)

Spoiler

JAN 13 Q5c)

Spoiler

Anyone?
Original post by iMacJack
Very true.

Thank you guys!

No problem.
ExamSolutions is playing up!

Seriously, now had to be the time :colonhash:
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
OK guys,

I've been losing marks on those type of questions that revolve around normal distribution and conditional probability. Here are 2 examples of a similar method for answering. What shall I do when answering these questions?

JUN 13 Q4c)

Spoiler

JAN 13 Q5c)

Spoiler

IMG_0413[1].jpg
Attachment not found
Do we need to know how to use this version of the Standard Deviation...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ClgskLBxLjQ/Ut-smPagORI/AAAAAAAAA4k/q_u7caTUj-0/s1600/stdev_s.gif
Are you guys ready? It'll all be over soon :smile:
Original post by Jack_Linaker
IMG_0413[1].jpg
Attachment not found

Mega Thanks buddy. Why do you divide one over the other? Is that the rule?
Screenshot_2016-06-14-20-27-43.pngI dont understand what values you sub in to get d in part c?
Original post by asinghj
If you hav DISCRETE data then the median is at the (n+1)/2 th position.
If you have continuous data then the median is at n/2 th position
So add 1 for Q1, Q2, Q3 if you have dicrete data

Are you 100% sure?

Because I really am unsure and don't want this to cost me marks haha....
Reply 579
Original post by SweetChilliCake
Screenshot_2016-06-14-20-27-43.pngI dont understand what values you sub in to get d in part c?

were you able to find the regression line in terms of and b?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending