The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I read on another thread (link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949172&page=15) that if the mean is 50 and the coding is x/10 the mean becomes 0.5- but is that true?
Original post by tazza ma razza
mate - this has been asked countless times - I can't recollect there being an answer tho ahaha Have you checked the textbook?

sorry I just got back from chemistry and do S1 straight away so havent check, that case was like an extra number added, but what if we code like v=x/1000, would it matter ??
Reply 622
Original post by siamesedaffodil
Using a venn diagram..

...how would you work out P(A' U B) and P(A' U B':wink:?? ? ?

Thanks!!

In addition to the reply from earlier, I would say use the addition rule:

P(A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A n B)

It's often easier to visualise intersections rather than unions so use this if you're stuck.
Original post by physicsamor
Good luck everyone :h: I'm done for the day. Just try your best :wink:

thanks good luck to you too!
Original post by anndz3007
sorry I just got back from chemistry and do S1 straight away so havent check, that case was like an extra number added, but what if we code like v=x/1000, would it matter ??

I'm so confused, because apparently they're all different for Sxx, Syy and Sxy
Can someone please list all the things that can be coded and explain effect of coding on each of these things?
Original post by hogree
So, say you have 60 values. You want to work out the lower quartile. Do n/4 ---> 6/4 -----> 15. So you use the 15.5th value.

Okay, but when I find the Q2, it's 60/4 which is 30, so I find the average of the 30th and 31st value?
Reply 627
Original post by hogree
So, if you have a Coding where of say 2X+6, you ignore the +6. You multiply the Sxx by 4 (because that's 2^2), You multiply the Sxy by 2, and you don't multiply the Syy. That's what I saw from someone else. PMCC remains the same always.

Yes, that would be an example of when you would use that method.

So Sxx = multiply by n^2
Sxy = multiply by n
Syy = no effect

Also are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?
Original post by hogree
So, if you have a Coding where of say 2X+6, you ignore the +6. You multiply the Sxx by 4 (because that's 2^2), You multiply the Sxy by 2, and you don't multiply the Syy. That's what I saw from someone else. PMCC remains the same always.

Yes, that would be an example of when you would use that method.

so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab ?? just checked it in one example and it didnt turn out right
Anyone got any predictions for tommorw??
Original post by Mina_
So Sxx = multiply by n^2Sxy = multiply by nSyy = no effectAlso are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?
I cannot claim I am 100% certain. But I have seen a couple of people say this. Is there an example Question anywhere?
Original post by Uberphuq
Okay, but when I find the Q2, it's 60/4 which is 30, so I find the average of the 30th and 31st value?
That's exactly right. An example of this being used in Question 2 of Jan 2008.

so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab ?? just checked it in one example and it didnt turn out right

I think that is right. Could I have a look at the example?
Original post by hogree
I cannot claim I am 100% certain. But I have seen a couple of people say this. Is there an example Question anywhere?That's exactly right. An example of this being used in Question 2 of Jan 2008.

I think that is right. Could I have a look at the example?

https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

question 2, if you try to find d= Svs/Sss, you would not get the value as shown ??

Edit: It actually works, sorry its just me messing with Sxx Sxy value
(edited 7 years ago)
Can you use a black rollergel pen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mina_
So Sxx = multiply by n^2
Sxy = multiply by n
Syy = no effect

Also are you 100% certain because I cant find much regarding this?

so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab

Checked and it work, if only x is coded, Syy does not change, if both coded, they both would change
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Can you use a black rollergel pen?

It says no gel pens on the exam so i highly doubt it. I use the Uni-ball Eye ink pens as the flow similar to gel pens
Original post by SweetChilliCake
y=0.746+0.102x

Also how do you do the last part of that question. I never understand them
Reply 636
so like if you got x=2a+6, Sxx= 4 Saa, y=4b+1, Syy= 16 Sbb , and Sxy= (2x4=8) Sab

Checked and it work, if only x is coded, Syy does not change, if both coded, they both would change

Sorry but what are you on about
https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/June%202015%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

question 2, if you try to find d= Svs/Sss, you would not get the value as shown ??

Edit: It actually works, sorry its just me messing with Sxx Sxy value

Yup it works. That's definitely the way to Code Regression. Fab
Original post by thelegend99

whoops @hogree if events are independent, does that meant they're linked (does one affect the other)? Saw an example with two children being late.
Reply 639
Original post by Zacken
No problem.

So i stalked your profile and saw you insured warwick over imperial. Why?

Quick Reply

Latest