The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) S2 Wednesday 15th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by duncanjgraham
there's misunderstanding in this thread

fix it then
Original post by PotAuFeu
Are you sure that the continuity correction for P(X<5) is P(X<5+0.5)?
The way I remember it is that you want it <5 so take away 0.5 so you don't include 5 and if you want >5 then add 0.5 so you don't include 5. Likewise, if you want <=5 then add 0.5 to include 5 and if you want >=5 then you take away 0.5 to include 5.
Hope that makes sense, I haven't seen particularly many 1/2n corrections but when I have, I just do my continuity corrections as I said so above and the answer comes out fine.

For when to use 1/2n, I found http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20S2%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf to be helpful. Basically, do it when you are approximating a discrete distribution using the CLT.

Hi hi, my bad, I'd never be continuity correcting P(X<5) or P(X>5) because I'd make the probability asked for into the form <= or => before considering the approximate normal distribution . It then follows what you say. I meant it in a more general case (I should have been more mathematically accurate and so am going to delete the comment from the thread in case it confuses people)

I'm a fan of 1/2n continuity corrections
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by duncanjgraham
Hi hi, my bad, I'd never be continuity correcting P(X<5) or P(X>5) because I'd make the probability asked for into the form <= or => before considering the approximate normal distribution . It then follows what you say. I meant it in a more general case (I should have been more mathematically accurate and so am going to delete the comment from the thread in case it confuses people)

I'm a fan of 1/2n continuity corrections

Yeah I like doing that also, though it works out the same regardless of what you choose to do.
Okay, thank you!
When is S^2 used? Like in June 2012, why is S^2 used in question 5 but not question 2?
Reply 25
Original post by MrZebraCookie
When is S^2 used? Like in June 2012, why is S^2 used in question 5 but not question 2?

In question 2 you are trying to find the population variance, in question 5 you are using the sample variance to estimate the population variance
Original post by hallo.C
In question 2 you are trying to find the population variance, in question 5 you are using the sample variance to estimate the population variance

Thank you. In general, am I only gonna need S^2 when the question involves working out the mean and variance from sigma x and sgma x^2
Reply 27
Original post by MrZebraCookie
Thank you. In general, am I only gonna need S^2 when the question involves working out the mean and variance from sigma x and sgma x^2

I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can use it, I've never seen it in any other context on any of the papers
For June 2012 Q8 why do you divide the variance by n? There's no mention of sample means or mean of observations, nor can you use the CLT as n is too small.
Original post by 16characterlimit
For June 2012 Q8 why do you divide the variance by n? There's no mention of sample means or mean of observations, nor can you use the CLT as n is too small.

You always divide the variance by n when it gives you a sample size.
Original post by Parallex
You always divide the variance by n when it gives you a sample size.

What about Jan 2013 2ii? I got that right but that's a sample.
Original post by 16characterlimit
What about Jan 2013 2ii? I got that right but that's a sample.

Sorry my bad. In Jan 2013, you're calculating P(C>40) rather than P(C bar>40), i.e. not the distribution of the means.
Original post by Parallex
Sorry my bad. In Jan 2013, you're calculating P(C>40) rather than P(C bar>40), i.e. not the distribution of the means.

np I think I get it now
Hi !! It is bit urgent !!
My calculator has functions to calculate the probability distributions; I was wondering if I could use my calculator instead of the tables that are provided; What do you guys think? If it would be okay
Reply 34
Original post by curious_M
My calculator has functions to calculate the probability distributions; I was wondering if I could use my calculator instead of the tables that are provided; What do you guys think? If it would be okay

If you are going to do that, I would then check on the tables that you get the same value. Use your calculator as the checking tool rather than solely relying on it
Original post by hallo.C
If you are going to do that, I would then check on the tables that you get the same value. Use your calculator as the checking tool rather than solely relying on it

Thanks very much
Original post by curious_M

Personally I always use the calculator for normal distributions.
I can share my answers if anyone wants? pretty decent paper tbh
So how did everyone find it?
Reply 39
Original post by andygeor
I can share my answers if anyone wants? pretty decent paper tbh

Would be great if you could!! I can also post my answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending