The Student Room Group

What are your parents' views on gay people?

Scroll to see replies

My parents just don't discuss about it really. They aren't homophobic but they can be pretty heteronormative at times.
Original post by SmileyVibe
I thought you were just rebellious, lol. Your mom sounds like my Mom! Where your mom from? Is she foreign? For me it doesnt really bother me.

Rebellious, as in what? I am no longer a Christian anymore if that is what you are trying to say? She's Nigerian, but her Dad's side of the family have Portuguese roots but her main ancestry is Nigerian. But she lived in Brazil for a few years and then lived in Nigeria for like 15 years so I guess that's where her adapted her views. wbu?
Mum is very supportive of the lgbt community as my aunt is a lesbian and my cousin is transgender. My dad just says if they are not hurting anyone its no ones business and says he doesn't care if people are gay or not.
My parents are very chill with it, they've met a variety of people in their life. When I told them I was gay they were like 'cool'.
I feel sorry for my friends who still haven't 'come out' and are afraid of doing so, because mine was so casual. We were at our local pride the other day and they were afraid people were going to kick them out because of the rainbow flags in their pockets, so I wonder what the people around them have been saying about the lgbt community, but there we go :smile:
Original post by ivybridge
My mum doesn't seem to have a wiser issue but has a problem with her own son being gay.

My father just keeps his mouth shut about it but doesn't like it at all.

Sad world we live in, really.

So would they support you getting married?
Reply 85
Neither of my parents care enough to be honest. It's none of their business.

I think the generation before us (and much of the older generation) are very skeptical and conservative especially when it comes to sexuality. I grew up in a household where if two people kissing popped up on the screen, we would all rush to change the TV Channel and talking about sex/sexuality in general was just frowned upon. It's only logical to assume that they would be less receptive to the idea of homosexuality as it was regarded as an illness as they were growing up.
Original post by serions871
So would they support you getting married?

They don't even support me acknowledging my own sexual orientation. Having a boyfriend is a no-no.

However, I really don't care.

They probably wouldn't come to my wedding but yeah.
Reply 87
Dads homophobic
Mom isn't because she believes in full human equality etc and she's a good person
I'm definitely not homophobic at all
My parents are awesome. My brother and i are both straight but i know they'd both be accepting and they'd help us if we came out
Original post by loveleest
Rebellious, as in what? I am no longer a Christian anymore if that is what you are trying to say? She's Nigerian, but her Dad's side of the family have Portuguese roots but her main ancestry is Nigerian. But she lived in Brazil for a few years and then lived in Nigeria for like 15 years so I guess that's where her adapted her views. wbu?

I had this image that you debated with your Mom on topics you disagreed with.
Oh well. I don't really know about my Mom's ancestry but I'm going to assume some type of African. She's Jamaican from Montego Bay. Well, she's still a diehard Jamaican after living in America for over 20 years except her accent toned down a bit. Its a well known fact Caribbean countries and African countries do not play with homosexuality and gay folk.
Original post by SmileyVibe
I had this image that you debated with your Mom on topics you disagreed with.
Oh well. I don't really know about my Mom's ancestry but I'm going to assume some type of African. She's Jamaican from Montego Bay. Well, she's still a diehard Jamaican after living in America for over 20 years except her accent toned down a bit. Its a well known fact Caribbean countries and African countries do not play with homosexuality and gay folk.

I have debated with her about it for a bit, but then she just justifies it through religion...so you know, really pointless.

And yes, most African countries and all Caribbean islands are homophobic

Quick Reply

Latest