The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whizbox
No I think you're right, I don't think it was a secondary alcohol I think it was primary just the OH was on the right and the carbon had 2 other hydrogen atoms bound to it

there was definitely a primary AND a secondary alcohol, an aldehyde and one other molecule. the primary alcohol and the aldehyde could be oxidised to a carboxylic acid.
@cobalt I agree . With the substitution one it was symmetrical but even so that just means no optical isomer forms. A racemic mixture has to have teo different optical isomers in so surely it was the racemic mixture question .
in the mcq, does the secondary alcohol as well as the ketone react with iodine to produce iodoform?
Original post by lfcrules
@cobalt I agree . With the substitution one it was symmetrical but even so that just means no optical isomer forms. A racemic mixture has to have teo different optical isomers in so surely it was the racemic mixture question .

I put racemic mixture !? I don't understand how that's wrong
Original post by primadonnas
in the mcq, does the secondary alcohol as well as the ketone react with iodine to produce iodoform?

Yes because the secondary alcohol could be oxidised to the methy ketone which would then react with the Iodine in presence of alkali
Original post by primadonnas

no! has to have C=O and methyl group nearby. secondary alcohol doesn't have this
Reply 1346
Pretty sure the aldehyde wasn't a methyl aldehyde so it wouldn't react with iodine in iodoform reaction
Original post by _H_V
Pretty sure the aldehyde wasn't a methyl aldehyde so it wouldn't react with iodine in iodoform reaction

Ethanal is the only aldehyde that reacts via Iodoform.
Original post by MacroniCheese
Yes because the secondary alcohol could be oxidised to the methy ketone which would then react with the Iodine in presence of alkali

yh i remember a question where you needed to know that being in one of the earlier past papers
Original post by ilovecake123
SAME! what have you got left to do- I've done every past paper and its annoying aqua maths only got harder in recent years so not all papers are representative of the real exam!

Cramming some inverse trig because I hate the graphs...
Have you had any AQA maths exam this year? I sat fp3 fp4 and m3 this year and oh my god M3 was the worst exam I've ever sat in my life. FP3 was really tough too
Original post by lfcrules

Nice 👍
Original post by _H_V

yh it wasnt
For the question about what type of radiation is used in NMR, I said electromagnetic radiation in the form of radio waves. that's right isn't it?
Reply 1352
Hitler Reacts to Edexcel Unit 4 Chemistry June 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee9EtJZZRlg
Reply 1353

So only the ketone that was there would react in iodoform test right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _H_V
So only the ketone that was there would react in iodoform test right?

And the secondary alcohol
Reply 1355
Original post by C0balt
And the secondary alcohol

Ahh damm
Original post by Don Pedro K.
For the question about what type of radiation is used in NMR, I said electromagnetic radiation in the form of radio waves. that's right isn't it?

I think it's just radio waves, but yes your answer would probably get the marks unless the examiner thought you were hedging your bets. (I would give it though :smile:)
What was the hazard of one of the named substances , and surely as they said named, you could only talk about Ammonium chloride or the hydrated barium thing ???

Nahhh, any group with a methyl keytone CH3CO will form CH3I
Original post by Don Pedro K.

yes :smile:

Are you gonna be doing the bio revsion session today, its at 11.30?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending